Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Here's a few quickies shot in the lounge this evening by room light (long-life bulb) kypfer's Album: Comparisons - PentaxForums.com
The same 18-55mm AL WR @ 55mm was used for all shots using Sv Mode on each camera, the file names should be description enough.
Please note : the ISO rating quoted in the EXIF data as displayed by the forum software is inaccurate, it doesn't seem to be able to cope with big numbers!
I'll make no comments, 'cept to say that just 'cos it's available doesn't necessarily mean it's worth having
A very pronounced difference between the KP and K3 III at 819200.

Mildly surprising is how close the K-70 and KP are at 102400. A bit more color blotching on the K70 but the detail is still there. Missed seeing the equivalent ISO on the K3 III

04-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not a lot of samples out there yet, but from what I've seen looks like about 1/3 to 1/2 stop improvement over KP at mid ISOs and about 1 stop for ultra silly ISOs
04-27-2021, 08:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Here's a few quickies shot in the lounge this evening by room light (long-life bulb) kypfer's Album: Comparisons - PentaxForums.com
Why didn't you do one of all three cameras at the same ISO?
04-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt apsc raws can be better than K-1 raws. K-1 is still rated pretty highly in dxomark for low light. Griii has the same sensor as kp right? Well I can see a clear difference between my griii files and k-1 files.

04-27-2021, 11:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
God job, kypfer! Looks like you've already got your copy of the K-3 III which is unexpected! I am surprised at how clean the KP image is at IS0 102400. Is this a JPEG right out of the camera with noise suppression set on auto?

Straight from the camera in every case, with noise suppression on auto and all other image quality settings at default. Simply resized (using IrfanView) with no sharpening. For all practical purposes, these uploaded images look identical on the computer screen to the originals. I'd never used Sv mode before, but it seemed appropriate in this case, to compare "like-with-like", as far as possible.

---------- Post added 04-27-21 at 11:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Why didn't you do one of all three cameras at the same ISO?
The original query was for a comparison between the KP and the K-3iii. I simply put in the K-70 image as a base point as I'd taken it for my own reference whilst the cat was still asleep
At the end of the day, I'd need to be in fairly dire circumstances to want to use any of these cameras at these high ISO settings, but maybe there's scope for some grainy monochrome images
05-05-2021, 06:45 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would not believe that the Pentax engineers would put a new camera out that is not improved in performance in early every way, they seem to always do that. It could be tough finding a KP now though, in the US B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and Ricoh Imaging are all sold out.
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
This exactly. --- I don't think we will ever see the KP again or an uprade.
Makes me glad I grabbed a KP when I did.

Last edited by Volvo244T; 05-05-2021 at 07:09 AM.