Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
i got my first DSLR in 1980. A pentax ME followed shortly by a MX. Still have the MX in perfect working condition. Loved the compactness and build of both at the time and the lenses were excellent. Never changed since.

04-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Got a Spotmatic F in 1976 while in high school. At the time Pentax was more prominent and it fell in my budget. Since then I like the reliability and backward compatibility of the lens. Pentax cameras have served me well for over fifty years.
04-29-2021, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Believe it or not it was a st. Valentine's day gift in 2016 for me from my then girlfriend who knew I was getting into film photography, a ME Super, which I still own today. Today she's my wife, we have moved to our new house and we have a son together. Also my Pentax collection has grown, topped by my K1.
04-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in about 1983 I was looking for a camera to replace my Olympus OM10 and found out about the newly released Super A. I think it was part of a new generation of multi-mode cameras from the major manufacturers and it seemed to tick all the boxes I needed. And it was great looking camera too. That was my first Pentax and I've been using them ever since. After a bit of a break I went digital in 2013 with a K30 which I still have.

04-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
My dad used Yashica then Pentax
That was my path as well. In high school, even though friends of mine had Pentax gear (one a Spotmatic and the other a KX) and I desperately wanted Pentax also (as the bodies and lenses had a solid and proven reputation), my meager budget wouldn’t allow it. So I settled for a Yashica TL-Electro with an M42 mount 50/1.9 Auto-Yashinon which turned out to be a solid workhorse with the school newspaper and yearbook. A few years later as a young Air Force officer in 1984, I finally had the means to get the ME-Super I read about with a 50/1.4 SMC-M. More bodies and lenses followed, an MX, and some Pentax M-42 gear as well.

Finally in 2011, my wife and I decided it was time to get a DSLR and for me the obvious choice, especially after an excellent American Photo review which sealed the deal, was the newly-released K-5. Tiny and tough, it “weathered” many travel trials and it now belongs to my son after I’ve since acquired a K-3 II and a KP. I can still use all my old K-mount SMCs and M-42 Takumar lenses (including also my Yashinons!) and they all, old and new, have performed superbly.

I still have that TL-Electro by the way and exercise it every so often.

Last edited by cobbu2; 05-02-2021 at 04:50 AM.
04-29-2021, 05:53 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first SLR was an Exakta V with Myer Gorltz Primoplan 58mm f/1.9 lens and a waist level finder that my uncle gave me (that he paid $350 for in 1951). I used it in college (late 70s). Once I started working I wanted something "modern" so I studied pop photography and other magazine and narrowed my choice to mechanical cameras..Nikon FM, Olympus OM-1n or the Pentax MX. The cameras were about $25 apart in price with the Nikon most expensive and the Pentax the cheapest.... So I got the Pentax MX with the 50mm f/1.7.... think I paid about $225. Btw, I still have that Exakta (and 70+ others) and it's still film-worthy.

04-30-2021, 12:38 AM   #37
Forum Member

My first Pentax was the k-x bought back in 2009 when upgrading from a point-n-shoot. The reason for choosing Pentax? Primarily because it had in-body image stabilisation which the competition did not. Last year I upgraded to the KP. My daughter got the k-x though I doubt it will see much use - she is more of a mobile phone shooter.

04-30-2021, 01:20 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I will be honest, I had a little bit of a love and hate relationship with Pentax.

Started with my Uncle giving me his Pentax K20D with two Tamron lenses - 17-50 and 18-250. Because of those lenses I bought an upgrade which was Pentax KP. Loved it but very quickly got under social media "pressure" and bought mirrorless Sony A7 thinking I will sell all my Pentax gear and vintage lenses I gathered in the mean time.

I started shooting with Sony A7 and.. I missed my Pentax. The colours we're off, I didn't get the best vibe editing, overall I was just like.. nah I need my Pentax. So I took all the offers to sell my Pentax off the internet happy no one bought it before I came back to my senses.

So currently I'm an owner of Sony A7 with 24-105mm lens which is good all arounder for me and for quick trips, it's nice and light. However for my work photography, portraits I stick to my Pentax KP with 50-135 f/2.8 lens - I love this combo.

Just yesterday I also got myself used Pentax K-1 and I will be exploring world of FF Pentax with my Sigma 35mm art and Tamron 70-200 f/2.8.

Wish me luck I hope to love it and to prove the world you can do fine art portraits with Pentax too!
05-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #39

Got started in high school photography class back in 1980 and haven’t stopped since.
No regrets!