Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 02:35 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I see some people being upset that the accelerator kicks in at iso 200. Personally, I think the photos look good and that is the main point of photography. The argument that you can get the same results by investing in a third party software that takes time to process images in post is not the same thing at all.

04-29-2021, 02:41 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has better dynamic range at iso 800 than at iso 100. This is just because the accelerator is cleaning up the shadows, but it explains why the images look cleaner than in the past. (The accelerator doesn't add detail to images, but it can make it so that you can push the shadows harder).
04-29-2021, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Can someone tell me how their can be a jump in dynamic range 'after' 200ish ISO. Presumably this is some jiggery pokery in an onboard processor chip?
Accelerator Unit. Noise reduction means that the DR (as measured from noise floor to saturation) increases because the noise floor is lower. It's a synthetic measurement and it's hard to relate it to IQ directly.

What I find interesting is that the K-3iii has a ~0.5 EV improvement over the X-T3 (same sensor) at low ISO.

That's either the X-Trans array or the on-sensor PDAF array lowering dynamic range*. I'd wager that it's the latter, but we won't know until the eventual K-1iii uses a known sensor (say the 61MP chip).

*So yes, Pentax can get more out of a sensor .
04-29-2021, 03:54 AM   #19
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Accelerator Unit. Noise reduction means that the DR (as measured from noise floor to saturation) increases because the noise floor is lower. It's a synthetic measurement and it's hard to relate it to IQ directly.
OK, thanks. So I still need to look at lower ISO's to understand potential sensor capability as regards to dynamic range, at least as far as these charts are concerned.

04-29-2021, 04:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Pretty cool. I was just thinking how computational photography as in smart phones is becoming more acceptable, but it still is a taboo in dedicated cameras, much like the noise reduction issue of the K-1 ii. For those of you that have the K3 iii: Any word on how the K3iii deals with image quality, sharpness, and loosing detail with this behind the scenes processing?
04-29-2021, 04:36 AM - 5 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oxygenum Quote
One needs to be wary that photonstophotos website is a hobby project of one single amateur internet guy - like you and anyone else - and shady with regards to robustness as well very questionable with regards to interpreting what is being presented.

Dxomark still seems much better and "better" is coming from pretty low standards.

You are better off looking at actual image files yourself. Joe the plumber internet user creating graphics based on his very opinion is not going to help anyone.
04-29-2021, 04:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
One needs to be wary that photonstophotos website is a hobby project of one single amateur internet guy - like you and anyone else - and shady with regards to robustness as well very questionable with regards to interpreting what is being presented.
There are a lot of questions, and Bill Claff didn't really managed to answer them. For example, assuming the processing detected on uniform areas is a simple form of NR, non content aware, which will result in a significant loss of detail (no attempt to validate any of the assumptions are made).

Unfortunately, photonstophotos proves most useful to people always looking to bash Pentax (on the other site there are some new names "interested" in the K-3iii but always having bad things to say about it), and not at all or very little to Pentaxians.

04-29-2021, 04:57 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Pretty cool. I was just thinking how computational photography as in smart phones is becoming more acceptable, but it still is a taboo in dedicated cameras, much like the noise reduction issue of the K-1 ii. For those of you that have the K3 iii: Any word on how the K3iii deals with image quality, sharpness, and loosing detail with this behind the scenes processing?
The image quality has been excellent. Sharpness is still largely dependent on the lens but has been equivalent to the results from my other recent (!) Pentax cameras, no discernable negative change due to the accelerator. Absolutely no evidence of any loss in detail. if anything just the opposite as ISO's increase across the range. Every stray hair is readily apparent, and edges are clean. I'm very confident in an ISO12800 image from the K3 III so that's now my upper range default. 6400 was my max on my old KP and 3200 on the K-70 (now comfortable with 6400 on that one too if need be).

So at least a full stop improvement and to me zero negatives.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-29-2021 at 06:03 AM.
04-29-2021, 05:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The image quality has been excellent. Sharpness is still largely dependent on the lens but has been equivalent to the results from my other recent (!) Pentax cameras, no evident change due to the accelerator. Absolutely no evidence of any loss in detail. If anything just the opposite as ISO's increase across the range. Every stray hair is readily apparent, and edges are clean. I'm very confident in an ISO12800 image from the K3 III so that's now my upper range default. 6400 was my max on my old KP and 3200 on the K-70 (now comfortable with 6400 on that one too if need be).

So at least a full stop improvement and to me zero negatives.
Nice! Thank you.
04-29-2021, 05:28 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Bill Claff shared his analysis of K-3 III's sensor on "the other forum".
Thanks for sharing this plot. I'm curious to see if there are any low-light or astrophotographers trying the K3III. Sometimes the NR can kills stars or point sources in some cameras.
04-29-2021, 05:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

mmm... 3 stops better at 3200 over the D500.

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D500,Pentax%20K-3%20III
04-29-2021, 05:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

It's worth reading the post on the other forum, as there's a concern expressed in it that the NR performance comes at the expense of detail, and that it's 'baked in' and cannot be switched off.
04-29-2021, 05:44 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
It's worth reading the post on the other forum, as there's a concern expressed in it that the NR performance comes at the expense of detail, and that it's 'baked in' and cannot be switched off.
The over-rated "baked-in" criticism will probably be the chief point of attack against the camera in the other forum's review. They used it before.
04-29-2021, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like the K-3 III will be a highly capable and flexible available-light shooter, which would be quite a feat for an APS-C body. Combine that with AI-powered RAW processing à la DxO/DeepPrime and think of the possibilities. Dang, I really want that camera.
04-29-2021, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #30
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
OMG!!! Again?

On which decade that other site lives on? Yes, you might see some loss of hair detail if pixel peeped at 200% on K1ii. Terrible baking. IRL it makes results better than without it.