Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sure, you have to become educated with who shots what with their cameras. Gary Chalker for birding, Kerrick James for landscapes, etc.

Just some suggestions:
Thanks, some new-to-me names here. Pentaxians yearbook (The PENTAXIANS Yearbook 2019) is my way of finding out new Pentax-related names across genres.

On the other hand isn't the art/portait/reportage also a classification of how a photo is used/displayed and what intention it's made with (and not just an objective quality of the photo itself?)

05-08-2021, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prohibitiory Quote
It's just sad seeing on that market no one considers Pentax.
So what? Far more people appreciate the image than worry about the gear used to produce it.

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Define Fine Art. I have been doing a lot of still lifes over the last year or two. A couple of examples of my humble efforts.....
Those are some great images! I have wanted to create a still life for quite some time, your ideas are inspirational.

They are not that hard really. The most difficult thing is finding the interesting artifacts and a background (for the background I use various crushed velvet cloth with a black lace overlay. Lighting is often couple of speedlights set to manual with home made snoots and/or diffusers, made out of gaffer tape, serial boxes and tissue, or ambient with a LED torch to lift shadows. Hours can be spent just playing around with composition and lighting. Endless fun. I recommend you give it a go.
Thanks for the tips, I have experimented with many inexpensive improvised or adapted lights and modifiers. I do own two LumeCubes that are fantastic. I have some props I often use, but not necessarily for a common theme. I need to clean up an area and a tabletop and get to trying out some ideas.

---------- Post added 05-08-21 at 06:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Prohibitiory Quote
Gosia Jurasz - Polish Pentax Ambasador, she's doing amazing job with mostly children portraits with Pentax.
Amazing, but her work appears to start with a photograph and is then heavily manipulated in post processing, the digital version of airbrush to emphasize or idealize skin tones, eye color, hair style, etc
There is nothing wrong with any of it, I like very well done digital art or hyperrealistic painting, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as a traditional photographic portrait.
I'll have to watch her YouTube channel and see how se makes the magic happen.

Last edited by robgski; 05-08-2021 at 03:16 AM.
05-09-2021, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
Thanks, some new-to-me names here. Pentaxians yearbook (The PENTAXIANS Yearbook 2019) is my way of finding out new Pentax-related names across genres.
Yes, I was accepted into the 2018 and 2019 yearbook with birding contributions, the one I've submitted to the current 2020 yearbook is sport, though. I do like a variety of genres. Portraiture is probably what I enjoy most.

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
On the other hand isn't the art/portait/reportage also a classification of how a photo is used/displayed and what intention it's made with (and not just an objective quality of the photo itself?)
Oh, definitely. I think intent is what separates a 'serious' picture from a snapshot. I think a snapshot's purpose is really to document (here is my coffee on a Sunday morning), but a photo can do much more than that!
05-09-2021, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Those are some great images! I have wanted to create a still life for quite some time, your ideas are inspirational.
Thank you. I originally got my own inspiration from still life paintings from the 17th Century Dutch ones. Lacking access to many of their subjects - fresh fish and fowl and silver/pewter plate - I have had to improvise.
My next plan is to build an artist's dark box (a device in which you place your subjects and can easily manipulate the ambient light and how it enters it), which seems pretty easy, but I am currently lacking the space to store, unless I can come up with an easily collapsible design.

05-10-2021, 02:16 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

unless I can come up with an easily collapsible design.
Great idea!
05-21-2021, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As examples of my own definition of fine art, I offer the works of Desiree Dolron.