Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K3 iii Camera Raw

Hi guys, maybe I'm missing something very obvious here. But has anyone been able to process the camera raw of the K3iii in lightroom? It says it cannot read the raw files and hence cannot import them. I checked on creative cloud and it seems I have the latest version.

Any tips? Or is it just a matter to wait until adobe get their act together to roll out a new version of camera raw?

04-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DNG or PEF?
04-30-2021, 09:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
The PEF format
04-30-2021, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Try switching it to DNG.

04-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightroom does not support the K3MarkIII .PEF files yet. I accidentally shot the first few frames as .PEF when I got the K3MarkIII. I had to download the newest version of Digital Camera Utility 5 to convert them to .DNG before I could import them into Lightroom. The previous version of DCU didn't support the .PEF from the K3MarkIII either. The DNG files from the K3MarkIII work in Lightroom without any issue, however.
04-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'll try to convert the files thanks. Maybe you guys want to join me in reminding the good folk at Adobe of our existence

Pentax K-3iii Raw Support - Adobe Support Community - 12006421
04-30-2021, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
Maybe you guys want to join me in reminding the good folk at Adobe of our existence
Why not just shoot DNG? Then you don't have to worry about Lightroom support. This has been discussed over the years and there does not seem to be any advantage to shooting PEF.

04-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'll try to convert the files thanks. Maybe you guys want to join me in reminding the good folk at Adobe of our existence
Typically, the support for newly introduced cameras lags a bit its market availability. A bit annoying for the early adopters, nothing to worry about.
04-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Forum Member

Even in my old k70, it works better for me in ADOBE RAW than pentax one
04-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax K-3iii Raw Support - Adobe Support Community - 12006421
They only updated ACR/Lightroom every three months. There was an update at the end of March, so we've got about two months to wait before they provide an update. I have no doubt that the K-3 iii will be included in that update. Now, what I really want to see in that update is that the full range of custom image modes installed in the camera (reversal film, flat, bleach bypass, etc.) have raw profiles in ACR. Traditionally, you get vibrant, bright, landscape, etc. (the boring ones) but not the more interesting ones. They do include the Fuji film simulations and a bunch of things for the Nikon mirrorless (and likely others…those are the only two I've rooted around and spotted), but Pentax hasn't typically gotten the more interesting things as raw profiles.
04-30-2021, 05:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just switch to DNG. Almost any program can read it.
04-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
Forum Member

I always shoot in dng. I never used pef because it’s proprietary, dng however is developed by Adobe and it’s an open format. So you will never have any issue on future updates.
04-30-2021, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Go to the menu, and switch from PEF to DNG. One of the awesome benefits of Pentax is that they always have DNG format in their DSLR's, no waiting for Adobe to catch up or whatever. Plus Capture One can read the files too if needed. All I can say about the raw files is "wooosh". Loving them. Man this is one kick butt Pentax this time.
04-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Digital Camera Utility show more of the EXIF than does LightRoom. I know that because I tried using PEFs with my K-3 OG once, just to see. But I really saw no benefit to using PEFs and DCU, as LR is so much more capable, and DNG is pretty much future-proof for probably at least the next 20 years.
05-01-2021, 01:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

DNG will do the trick. However, you won't have any camera specific profiles, so colours at import might not be 100% what you are used to. Not sure, but perhaps lens profiles might not work either. But once the update is there, you can easily reprocess your favourite images.

Wim

PS: still waiting for my pre-ordered K-3 III. Perhaps Adobe will be quicker with their camera RAW update than Ricoh with my camera, and I won't have this transition period for once...