Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Buzzing Sound

On "lengthy" exposures, say .5 secs or longer, my K100D Super makes an audible buzzing noise.
I can hear it while the shutter is open, and during the buffer period.
Is this normal?

11-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you're hearing the SR system struggling to keep your sensor still that long.
11-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think you're hearing the SR system struggling to keep your sensor still that long.
i was gonna say the same .... take the SR off and try to hear it, you wont :P i was scared for a while too when i first heard it hehe
11-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen, but...............NO.
When I turn off the SR, the noise is lessened when the shutter is open, but still there as loud, or louder, while the image is "processing".
Stops when the image appears on the LCD screen.
Any more ideas?

11-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stgmgr Quote
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen, but...............NO.
When I turn off the SR, the noise is lessened when the shutter is open, but still there as loud, or louder, while the image is "processing".
Stops when the image appears on the LCD screen.
Any more ideas?
I assume the "processing" you are referring to here is the long exposure noise reduction (aka dark frame subtraction). You can turn this off via the custom menu. I suppose turning off SR might only turns it off for the "real" shot and not the second "dark" shot, and that might explain why you hear the noise during the "processing". Although I can't imagine why it would do that.

Anyhow, even with SR, the system has to do some work - it has to hold the sensor steady. That could be why you still hear a faint noise during the actual exposure.
11-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I get the same noise for post processing on a K100d. It did it from when i first got it. It has never caused any issue. I assumed it was normal.

mike
11-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've always thought that it was a mechanical timer for the 30' range since if this was electronic, you could basically have it indefinately but I tried taking a picture in bulb mode and the noise remained. I've also tried turning the shake reduction off (in bulb mode) but the noise is still there. It's some kind of crackling noise.
Well, if anyone figures out what it is post it here, would be nice to know.
11-24-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
Forum Member

I have the same noise. I'm glad the doctors here on the forum tell us it's normal. It sounds like a Victorian flash gun that just fired and sits there sizzling for a short while. :-)

11-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
jdg
Forum Member

Mine doesn't make a sound even when the SR is on.
11-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Forum Member

Buzzing Sound

You get similar noise with a k10d, when you mirror lockup to see the sensor for cleaning.
I assume its the motor/servo or whatever trying to keep the mirror up.
11-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

shake reduction is on during processing to make sure that the dark frame is not effected by actual light leaks, only effected by entirely false noise.
11-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If the sound is like a sizzle, it is the sensor itself, my guess is it's the electrostatic charge. If you do a mirror up to clean the sensor in the custom menu, you'll get the same sizzling sound as when shooting long exposures. I don't think it has anyrhing to do with the SR mechanism.
11-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

you guys should read the owners manual to the end

didnt you know, our cameras double up as bombs in extreme cases

just use the function keys to press up, down, up, down, left, right, then press Fn, the green button and hit shutter!
11-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

On long exposures do the pics come out sharp? I bought a used K100D last year and it did the same thing, very loud buzz when the mirror was up for exposure. I was told it was normal, it was not. My pictures were blurry and after sending it in to a Pentax "sanctioned" repair shop, it was determined that the shutter mechanism was bad. My pics also came out blurry when I pointed the camera down for shot, or turned it on its side for portrait shots. When I did this, on short exposures, there was a jarring feeling from the mirror slap. Anyway, not sure this is the issue with your K100d, but I'd check your pics just to be sure. When mine came back from repair, there was no noise during long exposures.

Todd
11-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
Forum Member

I agree, its got to be either the sensor's electronics or the electromagnet holding the mirror up