Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Got mine from B&H last week, Thursday IIRC. I even got to use it over the weekend. That trigger is sensitive, and in high speed continuous it's almost impossible not to fire two images a split-second apart. So far so good tracking speedy dogs at the park.
Good for you! I am sure you will be greatly satisfied. No doubt it will be THE perfect upgraded replacement for the K-3 II, unless one is in love with inboard GPS. (maybe the reason for this omission is the additional room needed for the increased VF magnification. For me a non-issue.) After checking B&H and finding none currently in stock but "coming soon", I guess the early shipment already went to earliest preorder customers. I have yet to see "in stock" indicated at B&H. It will still be a while before it will be widely available and with plenty of users out there who have had time for a thorough evaluation. Lab tests are also often done with an off-the-shelf sample.

05-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hang in there

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
So the K3iii has been available for purchase for several weeks now. Yet I cannot find an in depth professional review...anywhere. I know dpreview put out a first impressions review but nothing in detail. Other sites basically posted just the specs. YouTube videos were itching to brag about, again because there was no real detailed testing and performance shown. The camera stores in Toronto emailed me a new spring flyer. It has the newest cameras from all the companies in it, just one missing. Just curious...is it the brand, or Ricoh did not give any away for reviewing or...????
I published part one of a five part series. Part II coming soon (autofocusing segment). Since the K3 Mk III is large in part a completely new camera from the ground up, it's taking some time to test it and get to know it properly (probably the same for other reviewers as well). I'm out shooting with mine at least 2hrs a day, mostly outdoors but indoors as well, then writing notes. It's a supremely comprehensive and advanced camera with all the latest tech bar the very leading edge video features. Also, Adobe has no profile for it yet, not even an Adobe Color profile, just "color" for DNG. That is not the best raw profile for the IQ out of this camera by far!

So hang tight, there are a lot of people working hard in the background, but the prevailing opinions thus far is that it's a huge winner for Pentax. It's got no quirks I've found yet, and the image quality is absolutely outstanding!

Carl
05-07-2021, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

;)

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
I published part one of a five part series. Part II coming soon (autofocusing segment). Since the K3 Mk III is large in part a completely new camera from the ground up, it's taking some time to test it and get to know it properly (probably the same for other reviewers as well). I'm out shooting with mine at least 2hrs a day, mostly outdoors but indoors as well, then writing notes. It's a supremely comprehensive and advanced camera with all the latest tech bar the very leading edge video features. Also, Adobe has no profile for it yet, not even an Adobe Color profile, just "color" for DNG. That is not the best raw profile for the IQ out of this camera by far!

So hang tight, there are a lot of people working hard in the background, but the prevailing opinions thus far is that it's a huge winner for Pentax. It's got no quirks I've found yet, and the image quality is absolutely outstanding!

Carl
Stay calm and patient... hehe.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
05-07-2021, 10:48 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Complicated? I think they're set up for people who want to take control of the camera. Good manual controls are what attracted me to the K10 years ago. Snapshots are what my smartphone is for.
That is where he was going with his "complicated" remark. In some cases, things are too complicated to use but not with Pentax. They make cameras that have a massive choice of options (complicated) but they are designed to still be straight forward to use, after a brief period of familiarization. and customisation, unlike other brands who hide stuff in menus. on my KP I can access most things without moving the camera from my eye while my friends Nikon needs to be looked at and fiddled with, and Nikon are way better ergonomically than Sony. The number of times I have asked another friend, an A7iii user, if or how her camera does something and she says I don't know lol. They are both great cameras, but neither manage to simplify complicated like the pentax

05-08-2021, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Absolutely spot on :)

QuoteOriginally posted by cerebum Quote
that is where he was going with his "complicated" remark. In some cases, things are too complicated to use but not with pentax. They make cameras that have a massive choice of options (complicated) but they are designed to still be straight forward to use, after a brief period of familiarization. And customisation, unlike other brands who hide stuff in menus. on my kp i can access most things without moving the camera from my eye while my friends nikon needs to be looked at and fiddled with, and nikon are way better ergonomically than sony. The number of times i have asked another friend, an a7iii user, if or how her camera does something and she says i don't know lol. They are both great cameras, but neither manage to simplify complicated like the pentax
well said.

---------- Post added 05-08-2021 at 10:11 AM ----------

Another reason for the delays that just occurred to me, Pentax doesn't loan out cameras well in advance of release the same way other manufacturers do. They are much more limited in resources, and to be quite frank DPR and a few other big sites can't seem to review a Pentax properly to save their hides! There's just no freebie plane flights, hotels, or pre-review period for them to be motivated to publish the most honest and informed (key word) reviews.
05-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Jordan Drake at DPRTV has one in hand currently.

For better or for worse I'd expect a review from them pretty soon
That answers at least part of my question. Thanks, David.
05-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #37
Pentaxian

05-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One review has arrived recently....more balanced IMHO compared to past Pentax reviews.
DPReview TV: Pentax K-3 Mark III review: Digital Photography Review
05-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #39
Pentaxian

The real power of the K3-III will come with the new DA* 16-50
05-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
One review has arrived recently....more balanced IMHO compared to past Pentax reviews.
DPReview TV: Pentax K-3 Mark III review: Digital Photography Review
I've always felt Chris and Jordan give Pentax a fair shake, even during their TCSTV days.
05-13-2021, 12:47 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only 2 things that really bother me about dpreview and Pentax. They always start their videos stating that people think they are biased against Pentax, every time. Even this review. Second, on 2 occasions Pentax k1 and kii were either not rated - because it was too inexpensive (!) or the kii did not have enough changed from the ki so that made it the worst camera in their listing.

Of course then there is lok cheung and his review....
05-13-2021, 06:10 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Series Part II is posted now (Autofocus Speed and Accuracy)

Just fyi.

Carl
05-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not a review...

The K3-III seems like a good upgrade from the K3. I think people would be less impressed if instead of the KP they released an upgrade to the original K3 even a few years ago. The IQ of the K3 III seems about the same as the KP, from the few files I have seen. Almost everything else is better ofcourse but its unfortunate that we can no longer decide between a KP or K3 III. Unless you grab a KP soon.
05-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Put your hand n your gun, don’t trust anyone.

Feedback is very favorable by real owners, I don’t care much about solicited tests based on free gear. Nice to see that Pentax is just doing well. Supply is short, sell what you have, users will tell their real story.
05-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
. . . Feedback is very favorable by real owners, . . . , users will tell their real story.
there are currently three Owners Reviews posted for the K 3 III

with an average rating of 10.0

Pentax K-3 III - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications