Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Where are the k3iii reviews?

So the K3iii has been available for purchase for several weeks now. Yet I cannot find an in depth professional review...anywhere. I know dpreview put out a first impressions review but nothing in detail. Other sites basically posted just the specs. YouTube videos were itching to brag about, again because there was no real detailed testing and performance shown. The camera stores in Toronto emailed me a new spring flyer. It has the newest cameras from all the companies in it, just one missing. Just curious...is it the brand, or Ricoh did not give any away for reviewing or...????

05-06-2021, 05:05 PM - 9 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think this site's review when it appears will be the one to trust, Vstar, since it will be by people who actually understand the Pentax system.

Superficial reviews happen when some Canon owner does a box opening for Youtube and then posts their review the same day. They cannot possibly be qualified to do serious gear reviews.

Look at how an academic article is assessed before publication - for approval it has to go to someone respected in the same, not similar field, because 'the devil is in the detail'.

I do not want to know an unmotivated, ignorant person's opinion. And I don't care that he only had 24 hours before he had to make another video on some Sony, that's not my problem.

Last edited by clackers; 05-06-2021 at 05:48 PM.
05-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
box opening for Youtube and then posts their review the same day. They cannot possibly be qualified to do serious gear reviews.
Agree 100%. To do a real thorough review that is actually of some benefit would require using the camera extensively for some time, perhaps weeks. I'm sure there will be any number of 'new camera' videos that are useless. And DPreview might someday post something that is condescending but will likely admit it is a decent camera for a DSLR but no one would really be able to make good images with a DSLR so why bother.
Wait for the Pentax Forum review if you want the real story.

In the meantime you can read some of the dozens of reviews that all came up in search. I doubt anyone had much time to use the camera prior to posting their 'review' but who knows, there might be something useful there. I didn't bother reading them, none of them are going to influence my decision.

Pentax K3 III Hands-On Pictures: First Impressions (techtoyreviews.com)
Pentax K-3 III Review | Camera Decision
Pentax K-3 III Review (imaging-resource.com)
Pentax K-3 Mark III initial review: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)
Pentax K-3 Mark III Hands-on Review - GearOpen.com
Review: The Pentax K-3 III Proves That DSLR Tech is Far From Finished | PetaPixel
Pentax K-3 mark III Review ⋆ Mike Muizebelt Fotografie
First Pentax K-3 Mark III DSLR camera reviews and hands-on reports - Pentax Rumors
Pentax Lifts the Veil on the K-3 Mark III SLR | PCMag
05-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here in the US, B&H still has not received stock, but has been taking preorders for purchase, so when finally available they will be shipped right out. As clackers says, in-depth reviews will take some time, even after the new camera is widely in stock.

05-06-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Give it more time. It's only been in the hands of the public for just a few days.
05-06-2021, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
So the K3iii has been available for purchase for several weeks now. Yet I cannot find an in depth professional review...anywhere. I know dpreview put out a first impressions review but nothing in detail. Other sites basically posted just the specs. YouTube videos were itching to brag about, again because there was no real detailed testing and performance shown. The camera stores in Toronto emailed me a new spring flyer. It has the newest cameras from all the companies in it, just one missing. Just curious...is it the brand, or Ricoh did not give any away for reviewing or...????
I agree that it is a little early, but ALL reviewers do have biases towards certain systems no matter how hard they try not too, good or bad, so look at specs and real world photos. If you strictly use Pentax and got a Canon to review, you would not be as familiar with it and could say that the interface is awful, where a Canon user may say that about Pentax, people like familiarity because the understand it. Real users are also biased, usually they will reinforce their decision to buy,
05-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Pretty much anything that is out there currently and is even halfway valid is based on pre-production firmware.

Steve

05-06-2021, 06:22 PM - 9 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Here's my review after 4 days of using it: It's the best APS-c Dslr ever made.

As for the details, that's going to take a while...
05-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DPR's latest review, the Oly OMD EM10, was published today - 7 months after the camera hit the shelves.

Ricoh does not have a great track record of getting gear to English-speaking review sites.
05-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Give it more time. It's only been in the hands of the public for just a few days.
Australia still hasn't gotten any of the K 3 III that were pre-ordered at the first of April
05-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think this site's review when it appears will be the one to trust, Vstar, since it will be by people who actually understand the Pentax system.

Superficial reviews happen when some Canon owner does a box opening for Youtube and then posts their review the same day. They cannot possibly be qualified to do serious gear reviews.

Look at how an academic article is assessed before publication - for approval it has to go to someone respected in the same, not similar field, because 'the devil is in the detail'.

I do not want to know an unmotivated, ignorant person's opinion. And I don't care that he only had 24 hours before he had to make another video on some Sony, that's not my problem.
Well said!
05-06-2021, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Here's my review after 4 days of using it: It's the best APS-c Dslr ever made...
"Brevity is the sister of talent."... But stepmother of income.
05-06-2021, 06:56 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Here in the US, B&H still has not received stock, but has been taking preorders for purchase, so when finally available they will be shipped right out. As clackers says, in-depth reviews will take some time, even after the new camera is widely in stock.
They have gotten some, but not enough to fulfill all orders unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2021, 08:13 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have one. I've pixel peeped, looked at NR, operated it through the Image Synch app, shot pixel shift, learned the menu system, etc. I'm just not pretending to be a "reviewer," and open boxing is pretty meaningless. Having said that, I am also aware of how manufacturer bias, limited familiarity, and the desire to project droll "comedy" can affect even "professional" reviews. Reviews can help, but not if they take themselves more seriously than they take the camera. (Telling me "professionally" that the pebble-grain rubber zoom grip on a lens is "ouchy" under the fingertips or that a camera is "heavy for its size" is pretty far useless. I'd rather watch an unboxing.) I'm expecting dust-up over the RAW NR, but I'm seeing no problems at any practical level. Ultimately, one makes up one's own mind. The death of brick and mortar stores has made this more difficult.
05-07-2021, 01:48 AM   #15
Forum Member

I'm lucky to have one. Slowly working through the menu system and getting an idea of what is what. However, first impressions are that the ISO response is bloody amazing.
Tim