Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They are off Page 1 - slammed like all the rest.

11-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh well my order is still open as well - read: the guy is still on page one of the order list from this morning
Me too... I almost didn't do this because I knew what was going to happen, but bought on the very outside chance that Adorama would honor it's mistake.

Here is the [US] version of the common law that allows them to rescind. Mistake (contract law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I know no-one is questioning this really, but sooner or later someone shows up saying "But they have to honor the posted price." Under some circumstances, that would be correct. Peas cost 2.19 a can now. There is an old can with 1.99 on it. That may fly.

Not this. Oh well. We are entitled to dream.

Cheers!

Seaain
11-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #48
Veteran Member

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it sounds to good to be true, it certainly is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No birthday present for me

Dear valued customer,
We are sorry to inform you that our listing on Amazon for the Pentax K
20D Camera Body with the price of $239.90 was an error.

We can not fulfill your order at that price which is below our cost, s
o we are therefore canceling your order.

We are sorry for the troubly that this may have caused.
11-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #49

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

With any luck they'll miss one and it'll get through.

In the meantime...

"...sorry for the all the troubly..."

What is this 'troubly' of which they speak?

Seems as though they are making a habit of typos.

Get the person who wrote the cancel notice on the Pentax product line filling in all the prices!

11-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #50
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry it didn't go through for everyone. Funny thing is they make it a binding agreement once you click the OK tab after you have submitted your credit card, but apparently that doesn't apply to them when the shoe is on the other foot. The wikipedia link doesn't really tell you anything.....any lawyers here? Can anybody prove this is legit on their part NOT to honor it? I wonder if the person that made the typo got fired this morning?
11-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This happens all the time...most web sites have disclaimers that they're not responsible for pricing errors.
If you really thought you'd get a K20D for $500 off normal price...well...I've got a a tropical island to sell you in Boston right now ;-)
11-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jman02 Quote
Sorry it didn't go through for everyone. Funny thing is they make it a binding agreement once you click the OK tab after you have submitted your credit card, but apparently that doesn't apply to them when the shoe is on the other foot. The wikipedia link doesn't really tell you anything.....any lawyers here? Can anybody prove this is legit on their part NOT to honor it? I wonder if the person that made the typo got fired this morning?
One party is not allowed to take advantage of an obvious mistake by another party. It is called unjust enrichment. It happens not too infrequently when banks make an entry error and money magically appears in your account. If you spend it, you will pay it back with interest.

11-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Show me the money

Well for all our troubly, I called Adorama to find out how the charge back is supposed to work. According to the service person, Adorama should notify Amazon they've canceled, and Amazon will do the charge back. It should be done by tomorrow morning.

We'll see .... between all of us on this forum, there's probably 20 thousand dollars worth of charge backs flying around!

germar
11-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jman02 Quote
Sorry, the link got munged. Copy and paste the following without the quotes.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistake_(contract_law)"

Yes, there are lawyers here. The Wiki tells you everything. Mistake is a valid reason for rescission. Especially if the person who accepted the offer knew it was a mistake. Those facts apply.

woof.
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not in a litigious mood at all over this.
I work in an advertising related field, and I know what hell people can go through when someone mistypes a number. I was hoping that it was real somehow ... an extra zero got added to Adorama's shipment from Pentax and they had 5000 units instead of 500 ... and they either sold them or they sat out in the rain. Pipe dream I know, but wouldn't it have been nice?

As far as lawyers and such, just give me back my money and no harm, no foul.

Okay, buydig.com is holding steady at 744 and free shipping....

germar
11-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I work in an advertising related field, and I know what hell people can go through when someone mistypes a number. I was hoping that it was real somehow ... an extra zero got added to Adorama's shipment from Pentax and they had 5000 units instead of 500 ... and they either sold them or they sat out in the rain. Pipe dream I know, but wouldn't it have been nice?

germar
I agree. I knew it sounded too good to be true, but hoping it was some type of promotion for whatever reason. Was sort of hoping for a coupon for future purchase, but no big deal. I do hope the person(s) who made the error were not fired. Not a good time to lose a job and we all make mistakes.
11-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I think all of us that "paid" (well I know I did) always had a glimmer of hope that mistakes like this will be to our benefit. If it had of been a giant retail chain they may have written it off and kept the good will this would have produced. Smaller shops can't afford it and I fully understand mistakes and could only imagine what the office chatter must have been like this morning there

The fact that it was amazon.com helped as I knew in the event of a retraction I felt comfortable getting my money back.

Anyway it was a fun hour or so dreaming of a $400 K20D .... (Conversion) ...

Canadian retailers are still at $0.9k - $1.1k so 774 USD at today’s conversion is pretty darn close making it a giant conspiracy (nothing to do with market demand and population)

Back to wating for K30D ......................until next good deal
11-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I thought for sure it was a Black Monday instead of a Black Friday sale. Just kidding I was sure it would be backed out but on the smallest chance it was real I had to jump in. I am with other No harm No Foul. That is kX? money saved anyway. Someone just got the money saved confused with the amount of the camera
11-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote

germar

The only way there would be a claim against Amazon or Adorama would be if it could be shown that this happened frequently and was some sort of bait and switch. Most states have unfair trade practices laws that prohibit a merchant from knowingly offering something at a price without the intent to sell it. I've litigated a few of these, and judges have gotten pretty skeptical of these claims--at least in my end of the world.
11-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #60
Veteran Member

It's true, I never bother with trying to take advantage of these "mistakes."
...But it was a K20D!