Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Live view exposure simulation when using aperture ring

Hi,
My K-1 mark II with the FA 50mm f/1.4 can give me an approximation of the exposure on the final image when I am using the live view in Manual exposure mode - I tweak the shutter speed, aperture and ISO and the image goes brighter or dimmer.
But when I take the aperture ring off of the A mode and select a specific aperture, the lens remains wide open until the picture is taken, and the exposure is done for that available light, completely ignoring the shutter speed and ISO settings.
Furthermore, when I pull the DoF preview lever, the aperture does close down, but the live view exposure is still done according to the amount of available light, and not to my dialed in settings.
Is there any way in which I can bypass this? I would like to have a simulation of the exposure, as wrong as it might be, even when not using the A mode of the lens. Is there any technical limitation for not having this feature?

05-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Hi,
My K-1 mark II with the FA 50mm f/1.4 can give me an approximation of the exposure on the final image when I am using the live view in Manual exposure mode - I tweak the shutter speed, aperture and ISO and the image goes brighter or dimmer.
But when I take the aperture ring off of the A mode and select a specific aperture, the lens remains wide open until the picture is taken, and the exposure is done for that available light, completely ignoring the shutter speed and ISO settings.
Furthermore, when I pull the DoF preview lever, the aperture does close down, but the live view exposure is still done according to the amount of available light, and not to my dialed in settings.
Is there any way in which I can bypass this? I would like to have a simulation of the exposure, as wrong as it might be, even when not using the A mode of the lens. Is there any technical limitation for not having this feature?
"completely ignoring the shutter speed and ISO settings". It does not ignore these settings, it uses them because you have set them in manual mode. I guess it can not simulate the exposure, because information of the aperture setting is not put through to live view the aperture not being set in A. What is ignored is your manual setting of the aperture in Live view, because of lacking electronic information to do so. It is the same with all Pentax camera's, don't know of the K-3 III works different.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 05-10-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: another d....d typo again!
05-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It does not ignore these settings, it uses them
In what sense?
05-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
"completely ignoring the shutter speed and ISO settings". It does not ignore these settings,
I think it does basically ignore these because it doesn't have the aperture to complete the exposure value. It instead autoexposes the liveview to acceptable viewing.
I utilise this fact all the time and never have my lenses on the "A" setting.
When is this advantageous?

05-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
When is this advantageous?
When I want to see what the exposure will look like before actually taking the picture, to avoid senseless clacking?
Especially in low light, the auto exposure done by the camera is pretty off (way overexposed), and the fact that live view does not show the true exposure is not helping either.
For example, the 'blown highlights'/'clipped blacks' indication in the live view is utterly useless if it is taken at the exposure used for viewing and not at the exposure used for shooting.

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 05-10-2021 at 02:15 PM.
05-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I want to see what the exposure will look like before actually taking the picture, to avoid senseless clacking?
Especially in low light, the auto exposure done by the camera is pretty off (way overexposed), and the fact that live view does not show the true exposure is not helping either.
For example, the 'blown highlights'/'clipped blacks' indication in the live view is utterly useless if it is taken at the exposure used for viewing and not at the exposure used for shooting.
Yes that little histo is useless - I guess it is because the camera has no idea of what aperture is about to be used. My dof preview lever is set to digital and I take a digital preview shot which is accurate. I guess it does do a shutter actuation though if that matters to you.
05-10-2021, 05:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hardly ever use live view to adjust exposure. Too many other factors not related to exposure affect what you see on the screen.

05-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is what manual mode's for!
05-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Exposure simulation only works when the body is controlling the aperture. When using aperture ring in manual mode, you have the option of using the EV scale when doing stop-down metering using the optical preview part of the on/off switch.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-10-2021 at 08:14 PM.