05-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you are welcome

some member had posted it before

and I just remembered it

I hope it is helpful
Yes thank you, but I didn't know on which socials to look. I checked on Flickr from your link, I can see differences between both lenses but sadly I like both looks the same!

I think I'm gonna end up buying used 77mm cheaper and try to buy DFA 85mm couple months later..

05-11-2021, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prohibitiory Quote
I hate that nowhere in UK you can rent Pentax lenses to test out, ugh
Have you asked SRS in Watford ? I think they used to rent lenses. If not, take a trip to their store and try both lenses out on your camera. Take loads of pictures and then study them at home. When you decide, buy the one you prefer.
05-11-2021, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes thank you, but I didn't know on which socials to look. I checked on Flickr from your link, I can see differences between both lenses but sadly I like both looks the same!

I think I'm gonna end up buying used 77mm cheaper and try to buy DFA 85mm couple months later..
You might try messaging Chris on Flickr - he may not notice my callout on this site.

Chris had told me it took more post processing to get the look he wanted from the 77. But that was against the older FA * not the new hyper sharp 85 dfa *.
05-11-2021, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you think dust in optics is very relevant?

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 02:12 PM ----------

Thank you very much for your opinion. I'm afraid the new HD version might loose that unique look since they've changed aperture blades for more round ones.

I really like your point of view used lens vs. new lens. I think you might be right here. However for a minute there I thought of buying this cheaper used version and save money to actually buy the new 85mm 1.4 too..
I would trust your research that you have done on the 77, but the idea of the cheaper user one plus new is a nice one if you can swing it. Almost every lens gets dust, I've not seen any where it hurt anything.

05-11-2021, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #35

I'll definitively get the dfa*85, in your position:

-If you're making money from pics, you're going to get back the investment, and a modern, fast and reliable focusing lens is always a great plus
-Rendering consistency. I've the 50-135 as you, and the dfa*50 and they render extremely similar in colour, contrast, etc. I'm pretty sure the dfa*85 shares the same rendering qualities. That means is going to be much easier for you to edit a session taken with those lenses, when dealing with colour profiles, etc.

I've and had limiteds and love them, but star glass is just on another level altogether. Just give yourself the treat of modern glass.
05-11-2021, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great images.

I've owned an FA 77mm for about 5 years. Until it recently became damaged, I used it on both APS-C (K-5) as well as on the K-1. IT delivers great results on either camera. You can buy an FA 77mm for less than 50% of the cost of the new DFA 85mm, and IMO, get fantastic results.
The smaller size and lighter weight along with high quality construction of the FA 77mm are also large factors, since I shoot mostly handheld.
As much as I like the DFA 85mm on paper, knowing how good the FA 77mm is means I'd spend money replacing my damaged FA 77mm instead of spending more than twice as much for the DFA 85mm.
05-11-2021, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

85mm is may favorite focal length for portraits.

05-11-2021, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Nice images.

I think with your skills and PP ability, stick to the FA77ltd as the difference won't be that huge (the PP styling already closes whatever gap there is )

How I see it is that as a working photographer, you just need the investment to get the income and the DFA*85 does not add to the income as the FA77ltd already does more or less the same job.
Maybe something like the DFA70-200/2.8 or DFA70-210/4 will add more to the "bag of tricks" than a 85mm imho.
05-11-2021, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the DFA*85 for you, Prohibitiory.

The little bit of extra aperture and little bit of extra focal length and rounded aperture blades all make for a little bit smoother bokeh and separation over the FA77, and some of these pics are for paying customers, right?

And the extra size means it's extra sharp over the 77 right across the frame and has much better control of chromatic aberration, too.

So easy to spend other people's money!
05-11-2021, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

The 77 would be my choice ... unless someone were giving me my selection of the two free of charge.
05-11-2021, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

This article explains why modern lens designs are just better in every way.

Why are modern 50mm lenses so damned complicated?: Digital Photography Review
05-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Have you asked SRS in Watford ? I think they used to rent lenses. If not, take a trip to their store and try both lenses out on your camera. Take loads of pictures and then study them at home. When you decide, buy the one you prefer.
Thanks, they're actually not that far so I might try to do that.
05-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote

Haha..... are they cheaper? are they small? maybe all metal? nostalgic? are they excessive?
05-12-2021, 12:14 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You might try messaging Chris on Flickr - he may not notice my callout on this site.

Chris had told me it took more post processing to get the look he wanted from the 77. But that was against the older FA * not the new hyper sharp 85 dfa *.
Thank you, I've messaged him on the flickr fingers crossed will share some of his thoughts with me

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would trust your research that you have done on the 77, but the idea of the cheaper user one plus new is a nice one if you can swing it. Almost every lens gets dust, I've not seen any where it hurt anything.
Yes that's what I'm thinking. Somehow I feel like I would be missing out without one or another! Might get the 77mm first and hustle to get 85mm

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 12:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
I'll definitively get the dfa*85, in your position:

-If you're making money from pics, you're going to get back the investment, and a modern, fast and reliable focusing lens is always a great plus
-Rendering consistency. I've the 50-135 as you, and the dfa*50 and they render extremely similar in colour, contrast, etc. I'm pretty sure the dfa*85 shares the same rendering qualities. That means is going to be much easier for you to edit a session taken with those lenses, when dealing with colour profiles, etc.

I've and had limiteds and love them, but star glass is just on another level altogether. Just give yourself the treat of modern glass.
Thank you, however I am not making money just yet. Recently registered my business though so the plan is to finally, slowly turn my photography into my job, which would be an absolute dream for me.

I do love colours from 50-135, honestly I just love colours from Pentax. I own Sony A7 as well with 24-105mm f/4 as I had naughty thought of switching to Sony for a bit.. and I hated the colours and edition was a HUGE struggle. I apologised to my Pentax and will never want to let it go again

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 12:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Great images.

I've owned an FA 77mm for about 5 years. Until it recently became damaged, I used it on both APS-C (K-5) as well as on the K-1. IT delivers great results on either camera. You can buy an FA 77mm for less than 50% of the cost of the new DFA 85mm, and IMO, get fantastic results.
The smaller size and lighter weight along with high quality construction of the FA 77mm are also large factors, since I shoot mostly handheld.
As much as I like the DFA 85mm on paper, knowing how good the FA 77mm is means I'd spend money replacing my damaged FA 77mm instead of spending more than twice as much for the DFA 85mm.
Thank you very much for your opinion, I do believe that 77mm is very unique and special lens. Think this will be my first choice after all.

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 12:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
85mm is may favorite focal length for portraits.
See, I can see that across portrait photographers however since I always used pretty much my trusty 50-135mm I never had a good try at 85mm length.

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 12:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Nice images.

I think with your skills and PP ability, stick to the FA77ltd as the difference won't be that huge (the PP styling already closes whatever gap there is )

How I see it is that as a working photographer, you just need the investment to get the income and the DFA*85 does not add to the income as the FA77ltd already does more or less the same job.
Maybe something like the DFA70-200/2.8 or DFA70-210/4 will add more to the "bag of tricks" than a 85mm imho.

Thank you very much. I just recently got Pentax K1 and I actually bought a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 as well. However was looking to get brighter prime lens to compliment my current set up

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 12:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think the DFA*85 for you, Prohibitiory.

The little bit of extra aperture and little bit of extra focal length and rounded aperture blades all make for a little bit smoother bokeh and separation over the FA77, and some of these pics are for paying customers, right?

And the extra size means it's extra sharp over the 77 right across the frame and has much better control of chromatic aberration, too.

So easy to spend other people's money!

Haha, that's true it's always easier to spend someone's money Honestly I think at this point I am so intrigued by 77mm I will be trying to get both somehow, at some point. I do not have paying customers just yet, however it's on the agenda!

Spent last year pretty much polishing my editing skills and finding some kind of style I could call "mine"

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 12:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The 77 would be my choice ... unless someone were giving me my selection of the two free of charge.
I wish! But I think I can get cheaper used 77mm in good condition and save money to buy 85mm as well. At lest I would still have something to look forward to

---------- Post added 05-12-21 at 12:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote

Thank you very much,

I will check this out now.
05-12-2021, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pent last year pretty much polishing my editing skills and finding some kind of style I could call "mine"
Good for you, it looks like that time has paid off.