Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 119 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I wonder what the odds are that you like the results from the 77 and, importantly, like using it, so that the 85 disappears into the distance? Let us know how you get on. Enjoy ...
I'm quite curious on this as well! Will definitely keep updating! Thank you

05-14-2021, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prohibitiory Quote
I totally agree that's why I'm planning to get both and mademy first step today by purchasing 77
ahh, darn, i have my 77 up for grabs as well.
oh well, i'm sure you'd enjoy yours!
05-14-2021, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Me too. Would be nice to have some idea when that will be ...
After next week is my guess.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2021 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
even though i love the 77, the 85 would get my vote.
Sure, the 85 is bigger, heavier, more expensive, etc. However, the image quality more than makes up for it. the bokeh is better, the 3D pop is better, the subject separation is better, low light situations are better.

the 77 gets the job done about 90% of the time, and i wont really be able to tell them apart. However, the small 10% that shows the difference, REALLY makes it obvious (to me) which is the 85 and the 77.

id always go for the 85. the 77 can be a nice traveling lens if you must.
The 77 is Ok wide open, but is prone to fringing in high contrast scenes and not really getting sharp until stopped down past f/2.8. It's not mushy wide open, jut not really sharp. For me, the 77 ends up being an f/4 lens because of this.
This isn't a big deal most of the time, as I'm usually stopped down that far for depth of field considerations.

The 85 is tack sharp wide open and just gets better stopped down a bit, but has some easy to deal with vignetting that doesn't go away entirely until f/4 and has very little problem with fringing. At f/5.6 the 85 is sharp enough to shave with.
For me, the 85 is an f/1.4 lens.

I find the vignetting is easier to deal with than the lack of sharpness wide open and the purple/green fringing. This makes the 85 a much better low light lens, as in my world it is 3 stops faster.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2021 at 11:04 AM ----------

I wonder what the odds are that you like the results from the 77 and, importantly, like using it, so that the 85 disappears into the distance? Let us know how you get on. Enjoy ...
It didn't work that way for me. My 77 is now holding down papers on a shelf. It has been since last summer when I got my 85.
05-15-2021, 12:34 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
ahh, darn, i have my 77 up for grabs as well.
oh well, i'm sure you'd enjoy yours!
Had no idea! Just received mine so super excited to try it out thanks!

---------- Post added 05-15-21 at 12:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
After next week is my guess.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2021 at 11:00 AM ----------

The 77 is Ok wide open, but is prone to fringing in high contrast scenes and not really getting sharp until stopped down past f/2.8. It's not mushy wide open, jut not really sharp. For me, the 77 ends up being an f/4 lens because of this.
This isn't a big deal most of the time, as I'm usually stopped down that far for depth of field considerations.

The 85 is tack sharp wide open and just gets better stopped down a bit, but has some easy to deal with vignetting that doesn't go away entirely until f/4 and has very little problem with fringing. At f/5.6 the 85 is sharp enough to shave with.
For me, the 85 is an f/1.4 lens.

I find the vignetting is easier to deal with than the lack of sharpness wide open and the purple/green fringing. This makes the 85 a much better low light lens, as in my world it is 3 stops faster.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2021 at 11:04 AM ----------

It didn't work that way for me. My 77 is now holding down papers on a shelf. It has been since last summer when I got my 85.
Pretty harsh vote against 77! However I appreciate you sharing your experience I just received my copy so we will see how I will like it. If not, I'm defo getting 85mm as well

---------- Post added 05-15-21 at 12:37 AM ----------

Just received my copy of 77mm. I'm honestly happy I took that used copy. It looks absolutely perfect and if someone would give me this as brand new I'd probably not notice lol. I'm surprised how small it is!!! Which is good but at the same time confusing and I'm not sure how to handle it being mostly used to big cows like 50-135 and 70-200! Even Sigma 35mm is significantly bigger.

Only thing shame the weather is crap I'd love to go out and snap some photos!

I will post something with my new lens as soon as I can

Again, thank you all for help <3

05-15-2021, 02:59 AM - 2 Likes   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prohibitiory Quote
Just received my copy of 77mm. I'm honestly happy I took that used copy...Only thing shame the weather is crap I'd love to go out and snap some photos!
No excuse, set up a few things at different distances in your house and get used to the lens's DOF, as well as trying different apertures, so when the weather is better you'll be ready to go. I look forward to seeing the results
05-15-2021, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I’ll make this simple, I have the 77 and will eventually own the 85. Why because I have a garage full of tools and even though I own a crescent wrench I’ll always grab the wrench that fits because it’s all about the right tool for the right job. If the majority of your work is in a studio get the 85 now and the 77 later. If you’re currently on location mobile and shooting hand held get the 77 now and the 85 later….

JJ
As long as the studio offers enough rom to move back sufficiently for the longer focal length of the 85…
05-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As long as the studio offers enough rom to move back sufficiently for the longer focal length of the 85…
I don't have access to a dedicated studio any more, so when I need shoot portraits I am setting up lights and a backdrop in my living room, which is an ell shaped room approximately 23 feet x 11 feet on each leg. The only problem I have is that I can't dial my lights back enough to get above f/5.6, and so have to put a neutral density filter on to use wider apertures.
It gives me ample room for a half length portrait with the 85mm. This one of the granddaughter was shot fairly tight, but I had ample room to back up.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 05-15-2021 at 11:09 AM.
05-15-2021, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

I'm in the same position as the OP and have followed this thread with more than a passing interest. I've looked at the difference between 77mm and 85mm on my 70-210 and it's not much in terms of focal length.

I like photographing leaves and flowers that are backlit (not exclusively though!) and as much as I want I can't shake the worry of potential purple fringing even with the new HD coatings.

The 85 is on at a good price at them moment but for half that I can get the HD coated 77mm. I'm not all that worried about sharpness from edge to edge - I'd crop a little and I like square format so that takes care of that. I am not looking for confirmation bias because I genuinely don't know which way to go!

Would still appreciate any thoughts though..!
05-15-2021, 09:24 AM - 3 Likes   #99
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I'm in the same position as the OP and have followed this thread with more than a passing interest. I've looked at the difference between 77mm and 85mm on my 70-210 and it's not much in terms of focal length.

I like photographing leaves and flowers that are backlit (not exclusively though!) and as much as I want I can't shake the worry of potential purple fringing even with the new HD coatings.

The 85 is on at a good price at them moment but for half that I can get the HD coated 77mm. I'm not all that worried about sharpness from edge to edge - I'd crop a little and I like square format so that takes care of that. I am not looking for confirmation bias because I genuinely don't know which way to go!

Would still appreciate any thoughts though..!
I hate to come across as a 77 hater, because it is the last thing that I am. The fact is though, the 85/1.4 is a better lens. I really can’t see coatings improving the fringing from the 77, as that is baked into the optical design. The lens was invented before this sort of thing was an issue, and it wasn’t corrected for it.

The so called pixie dust is a manifestation of under corrected spherical aberration not some sort of Pentax optical magic. The problem is, the only way to take advantage of that is to shoot wide open or close to it (hello purple fringing).

The 85 is a modern, designed for digital, lens. The designers have gone to great lengths to make a lens that gives a true representation of what it is pointed at without having to jig in software based lens corrections or renovate the image because of purple and green lines around things.

So really, it comes down to wants/ needs and money. Do you want/ need one of the best short telephotos on the market and are you willing to pay an admittedly substantial premium to get there or are you going to settle for a still very good second best at a much lower but still not cheap price point?

It’s actually a nice place to be. Whatever you choose, you are getting a very good lens.
05-15-2021, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I hate to come across as a 77 hater, because it is the last thing that I am. The fact is though, the 85/1.4 is a better lens. I really can’t see coatings improving the fringing from the 77, as that is baked into the optical design. The lens was invented before this sort of thing was an issue, and it wasn’t corrected for it.

The so called pixie dust is a manifestation of under corrected spherical aberration not some sort of Pentax optical magic. The problem is, the only way to take advantage of that is to shoot wide open or close to it (hello purple fringing).

The 85 is a modern, designed for digital, lens. The designers have gone to great lengths to make a lens that gives a true representation of what it is pointed at without having to jig in software based lens corrections or renovate the image because of purple and green lines around things.

So really, it comes down to wants/ needs and money. Do you want/ need one of the best short telephotos on the market and are you willing to pay an admittedly substantial premium to get there or are you going to settle for a still very good second best at a much lower but still not cheap price point?

It’s actually a nice place to be. Whatever you choose, you are getting a very good lens.
Thanks for your reply. I agree with all you've said, and I know what I have to do now...
05-15-2021, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ll try to take some photos with my SMC FA 77 and my Sony A7rII with some backlighted flowers and post them. I can also post some shots from the FE 85 f1.8.
05-15-2021, 10:50 PM   #102
Pentaxian

I’ll try to take some photos with my SMC FA 77 and my Sony A7rII with some backlighted flowers and post them. I can also post some shots from the FE 85 f1.8.
Look forward to seeing them when you post them.
05-16-2021, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #103

Have you also consider the zoom full frame 24-70mm? You can get very nice quality on that one too , but of course if you pro I would recommended prime lens
05-16-2021, 01:38 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mariuszk Quote
Have you also consider the zoom full frame 24-70mm? You can get very nice quality on that one too , but of course if you pro I would recommended prime lens
Thank you but I am not all all interested in this lenght zoom lens. I was looking to get a bright prime, so 77mm it's a perfect fit for me Thank you though!
05-16-2021, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, I just noticed you are from Bucks. I played cricket at Stowe School (as a 16 year old) 40 years ago this month. What a magnificent Capability Brown park that was!

I must scan my negatives from that trip; I have a splendid shot of our team captain making an elegant leg glance toward the folly near the lake....