Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2021, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #121
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Ehm... I mean things like resolution, contrast, color fidelity, bokeh, 3D effect, details in the shadows, etc...
I look at pictures on my monitor. It's amazing how much a person can tell about how a lens performs by looking at the pictures it takes.
I'm not terribly interested in how many pixels can dance on the head of a pin.

05-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I look at pictures on my monitor. It's amazing how much a person can tell about how a lens performs by looking at the pictures it takes.
Back in 2012 when I finally bought into a DSLR system for the very first time my default target was Nikon because I knew it was a very capable professional level system. Although I was never a Nikon or Canon film camera owner. But the Pentax lacked a professional flash system. I poured and poured over specs and samples across the web and after awhile I realized I could generally identify a distinguishing pattern. My final decision was based on the observation that I could more consistently identify uniquely recognizable lens characteristics in the Pentax line-up than any of the competitors offerings at the time. And that was very noteworthy!
05-18-2021, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I must scan my negatives from that trip; I have a splendid shot of our team captain making an elegant leg glance toward the folly near the lake....
I imagine for a global forum, there's more than a few scratching their head at that sentence and others finding that Google translate has limits.
05-18-2021, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I imagine for a global forum, there's more than a few scratching their head at that sentence and others finding that Google translate has limits.
That's given me the best moment of my day. Thank you!

05-18-2021, 03:11 PM - 3 Likes   #125
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
It could have been a fine cut between gully and the second slip, played against the spin from a short-pitched googly.
05-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #126
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What no fourth slip ..... oh dear fours a plenty
05-19-2021, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I ask because I am looking at getting one soon, or should I not bother and just get an SMC coated lens? Will the new coatings actually make much difference?
So, sharpness to a lens manufacturer usually amounts to two things - contrast (MTF10) and microcontrast (MTF30 or so).

The coatings won't necessarily change much the details, or microcontrast.

They improve the contrast, especially shooting into light, where otherwise you have no true blacks in your image, just dark greys.

Tied into that are your colours. They'll be more vivid (the saturation is higher) when they're not being lightened by stray or rebounding light.

Since all the DA Limiteds now have updated coatings, I'm sure you'll be able to look at past comparisons of SMC versus HD as an analogy to what you might expect.

Note too that the aperture blades are now rounded, so that bokeh is improved when the lens is stopped down from wide open.

It's your money so you'd have to decide how much cash the 'upgrade' is worth.

Last edited by clackers; 05-19-2021 at 08:34 PM.
05-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It could have been a fine cut between gully and the second slip, played against the spin from a short-pitched googly.
Ha, Ha,

---------- Post added 05-19-21 at 07:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
What no fourth slip ..... oh dear fours a plenty
Ha, ha- oh, the joys of idioms between dialects!
05-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #129
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Ha, Ha,

---------- Post added 05-19-21 at 07:48 PM ----------

Ha, ha- oh, the joys of idioms between dialects!
Hi Mike

Not an idiom in sight , that is how you would hear a broadcast of the cricket during the game.

Dave
05-20-2021, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #130
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
What no fourth slip .....
Four slips to a leg spinner? Not a chance. Maybe a silly point or a short extra cover.