Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2021, 04:22 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Good for you, it looks like that time has paid off.
Thank you kindly!

05-12-2021, 05:12 AM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prohibitiory Quote
Gorgeous!!!

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 11:48 AM ----------

Thank you very much, all the points you mentioned are very valid!

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 11:50 AM ----------

Isn't the HD version manual though? With no AF?

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 11:54 AM ----------

Thank you! I was considering old Sigma 85mm 1.4 ideed, however I found only 2 used copies in UK, one sold very quickly, second one have broken hood which makes me think it could be dropped..

I do have manual Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 but it's not reliable for work purposes with me hit or not too hit the focus with my horrible eyesight!

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 11:55 AM ----------

Thank you My trusty Pentax KP with Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8. Loooove this combo <3

I agree the 50-135 is an awesome lens!!!
05-12-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

If you are perfectionist and like shooting wide open, then DFA*85/1.4 is your choice. As owner of this lens I just can say it is ideal beast of optics (heavy for sure, compared to FA 77).
Earlier I used FA* 85, it is also very good lens, but has chromatic aberrations that can be easily visualized shooting wide open in high contrast conditions. FA 77/1.8 has this shortcoming as well. It is correctable, but not always perfectly (did I asked you about perfectionism? ).
In case You shoot people / families mostly at f2,8+, there is no reason for DFA* 85.
05-12-2021, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #49
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi

The new HD 77 might be the middle ground between the SMC 77 and the DFA* 85.
I am only guessing.
Beautiful work by the way

05-12-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
If you are perfectionist and like shooting wide open, then DFA*85/1.4 is your choice. As owner of this lens I just can say it is ideal beast of optics (heavy for sure, compared to FA 77).
Earlier I used FA* 85, it is also very good lens, but has chromatic aberrations that can be easily visualized shooting wide open in high contrast conditions. FA 77/1.8 has this shortcoming as well. It is correctable, but not always perfectly (did I asked you about perfectionism? ).
In case You shoot people / families mostly at f2,8+, there is no reason for DFA* 85.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To the OP:

I'm not going to get into the rendering, the Pixel Dust and all the other esoteric junk used to describe the fact that the 77 isn't an especially well corrected lens.

The great equalizer in all things optical is F8, and the closer you get to that point, the less there is to differentiate between lenses, and this includes comparisons between the 77 and the big 85. I did some ad hoc comparisons of the two lenses a while back. The DFA* 85 is excellent at all apertures, seeming to be at it's best around f/5.6. The 77 is really not a great lens wide open in that in some situations it is going to give disappointing results, but by f/2.8 it is very good indeed, and by f/5.6 there isn't much to say between it and the 85mm lens.
I like that I can use the 85 at f/1.4 and get superb results, but I do generally find myself stopped down a few stops to secure depth of field.
05-12-2021, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #51

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Although the focal lengths are somewhat close to each other, I feel like they are to very different lenses based on expected usage and results.
The 77 1.8 is slower than the 85 1.4 - you'd be payin for the extra stoppage. Do you need the extra low-light capability or necessary bokeh/background effects?
The 77 LTD is a 'characterful' lens which is not technically optically perfect. The 85 is * lens and almost 'clinical' in it's optical correctiveness.
It comes down to: Do you need the extra stoppage? Do you need 'perfectly' corrected optics?
Both lenses are capable of producing outstanding results! I've only handled the 77 and not the 85 but the 77 is certainly impressive and would highly recommend it for your use case.
(another consideration is the AW sealing on the 85, if that's something you need)
i agree with this synopsis. That said you need both to cover your bases. i have the 77 and love it. Have no urge to get the 85.
05-12-2021, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To the OP:

I'm not going to get into the rendering, the Pixel Dust and all the other esoteric junk used to describe the fact that the 77 isn't an especially well corrected lens.

The great equalizer in all things optical is F8, and the closer you get to that point, the less there is to differentiate between lenses, and this includes comparisons between the 77 and the big 85. I did some ad hoc comparisons of the two lenses a while back. The DFA* 85 is excellent at all apertures, seeming to be at it's best around f/5.6. The 77 is really not a great lens wide open in that in some situations it is going to give disappointing results, but by f/2.8 it is very good indeed, and by f/5.6 there isn't much to say between it and the 85mm lens.
I like that I can use the 85 at f/1.4 and get superb results, but I do generally find myself stopped down a few stops to secure depth of field.
I would say from wide open to about f/4 the DFA*85 holds a definitive edge. From f/5.6 onwards both lenses start to get closer in quality; the modern lens is always a head but the 77 has improved quite a bit.

However from a fatigue standpoint I get tired quicker with the massive DFA*85 than with the 77mm, having rented both. The K1 body is already decently heavy. If you're only in a field for a couple hours or will be using a tripod or monopod I guess it doesn't matter as much. On 3-4 hour days hand holding it can be a bit tiring.

05-12-2021, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keos Quote
I would say from wide open to about f/4 the DFA*85 holds a definitive edge. From f/5.6 onwards both lenses start to get closer in quality; the modern lens is always a head but the 77 has improved quite a bit.

However from a fatigue standpoint I get tired quicker with the massive DFA*85 than with the 77mm, having rented both. The K1 body is already decently heavy. If you're only in a field for a couple hours or will be using a tripod or monopod I guess it doesn't matter as much. On 3-4 hour days hand holding it can be a bit tiring.
I do use my 85 on a tripod as much as possible, which is almost always for me. The K1 and 85 are definitely not a lightweight combination. For me it is reminiscent of carrying the Pentax 6x7 for how heavy it feels.

One thing all that weight does is make handholding steadier, at least until your arms fall off.
05-12-2021, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Thank you very much, on those photos I used at 135mm, this gives me the nicest smooth bokeh. Is this pentax forum user? I will try to find it thank you. I think 77mm might be nicer long equivalent on crop.

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 12:50 PM ----------

I think this is the comment I needed to really make up my mind..

I belive 77mm speaks to me with it's uniques.. when 85mm trying to catch up with every other 85mm on the market.

Thank you my friend

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 01:00 PM ----------

Other question,

If I have option to purchase used 77mm for around £500 , in good condition but markes as "There is dust throughout the optics, this will not affect images in any way."

Should I go for it or it is better to purchase new copy?

Is dust affecting quality?

Cheers!
I would tend towards these evaluations, except I would opt for the new HD version. The traditional version, which I've had for many years, can yield marvelous bokeh, but the rounded blades of the new one might even be a tad better (hard to imagine!). And the HD coatings should reduce any flair effects. Also, bulkier equipment can be somewhat distracting for subjects, even if the shot is a pre-setup pose. The FA 77 is a favorite of mine for nabbing candid shots for the same reason. On APS-C, 85mm is getting a bit long for ideal perspective in portraiture use. More suited for FF. The 77mm would be better on APS-C, and yet still very good on a FF body, so it is very versatile. Also to think about, you already have the DA* 50-135mm, a great lens, having WR and is of substantial size. So the FA 77mm would add its own unique smaller size advantage in addition to more aperture. By comparison, the DFA* 85mm is around twice the weight of the DA* 50-135mm!

You might like the FA 77mm so much, it could negate interest in the 85mm! If having both, you could wind up relegating the 85mm just for studio setups using theK-1.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-12-2021 at 04:23 PM.
05-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all very much for your comments. This is beyond helpful and I so appreciate this community and your all guys knowledge. I decided to get 77mm first and perhaps DFA 85mm in the future.

I guess now I will be contemplating between original 77mm vs. New HD version.

Though I'd like to see 'upgraded' and smooth, at the same time I'm worries new version would take away uniqueness of the original one!

There's also options available for me, for around £500 I can get used 77mm in good condition with bit of dust from good reliable company though, for £600 I can get post display piece (from SRS) with still 2 year warranty or I can just get brand new original or HD. My headache continues..

Any thoughts against post display ones? Do you think ppl tend to wack them around or should I not be worry?
05-12-2021, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both lenses now: I recently bought the silver version the 85 from Amazon for £1,299, which I thought was a heck of a bargain. I have also bought the D FA* 50 mm in anticipation of receiving my K-3 III (get a move on Ricoh!).

It is very hard to choose between the 85 and the 77, and I think it comes down to what "look" one prefers. The main difference I have noticed is the autofocus seems to be more accurate on the D FA* 85mm, as I have a greater percentage of keepers from it. It seems to find the irises more confidently. I'm hoping it will be even better with the new autofocus system in the K-3 III and any future K-1. It's huge, for sure, and I think I would prefer the 77 outside the studio, but I am getting on a bit now.
05-12-2021, 11:54 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

Here's a couple of shots taken with the 77 and the 85 (in that order):
Attached Images

05-13-2021, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I have both lenses now: I recently bought the silver version the 85 from Amazon for £1,299, which I thought was a heck of a bargain. I have also bought the D FA* 50 mm in anticipation of receiving my K-3 III (get a move on Ricoh!).

It is very hard to choose between the 85 and the 77, and I think it comes down to what "look" one prefers. The main difference I have noticed is the autofocus seems to be more accurate on the D FA* 85mm, as I have a greater percentage of keepers from it. It seems to find the irises more confidently. I'm hoping it will be even better with the new autofocus system in the K-3 III and any future K-1. It's huge, for sure, and I think I would prefer the 77 outside the studio, but I am getting on a bit now.

Making my life little bit harder here my friend I'm sooo tempted for 85mm, weight is never a real issue for me. It's about that perfect composition, but at the same time, I need 10-15 solid photos from my shoot. Which means ever with 77mm I would probably be satisfied.

Now reading more about 77mm HD version I'm even more confused.

I do not earn money on photography yet, hence spending £1500 on 85mm is not fully justified other then "I want" and I might feel guilty,

But if I buy 85mm I will not buy 77mm for sure.

If I buy used 77mm cheaper now - I can probably buy 85mm till end of the year or next year.

If I buy brand new 77mm HD - I might look into not buying 85mm at all.

My goodness someone make this decision for me please!!

---------- Post added 05-13-21 at 12:02 AM ----------

Also to mention, I am currently looking to expand my photography into business,

So I would like the lens I buy to be good and reliable.

---------- Post added 05-13-21 at 12:05 AM ----------

Here's a couple of shots taken with the 77 and the 85 (in that order):
These are absolutely gorgeous !!!

Ugh I know lighting is different but I kind of prefer 85m..[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Prohibitiory; 05-13-2021 at 12:06 AM.
05-13-2021, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

I do not earn money on photography yet, hence spending £1500 on 85mm is not fully justified other then "I want" and I might feel guilty,
I don't earn money from photography either. Quite the opposite. I was a terminal GAS sufferer with all the consequent guilt issues. But I'm cured now: I still have GAS but I don't feel guilty any more!

Thank you for your kind words about my photos
05-13-2021, 12:45 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't earn money from photography either. Quite the opposite. I was a terminal GAS sufferer with all the consequent guilt issues. But I'm cured now: I still have GAS but I don't feel guilty any more!

Thank you for your kind words about my photos
I'm sorry I'm not sure what that means?

I'm happy you feel okay though

Now you made me go back to square one considering getting 85mm after all!