Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2021, 10:26 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Better to buy Pentax 77mm or 85mm* ???

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

Facing a big dillema over here.

I currently own a Pentax K-1 and Pentax KP and was looking to get Pentax 77mm 1.9 to use on both of those but now contemplating should I pay extra and get 85mm?

I mostly shoot portraits, maternity + families, examples attached.

I'm torn apart as I've done my background check on 77mm and was in awe and decided to definitely get that one but.. now not sure what to do.

I know 85mm is neewer, brighter but.. is it really that far off from 77mm?

I would much appreciate your insight!

Kind regards

Attached Images

05-11-2021, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prohibitiory Quote
Very nice images!

Have you looked at this thread on the 85? HD Pentax-D FA* 1:1.4 85mm Lens Club - PentaxForums.com

I own neither the 77 nor the 85, but the images I've seen from the 85 have consistently dropped my jaw, due in part to the expertise of the photographers. That is one very fine lens!

- Craig
05-11-2021, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Although the focal lengths are somewhat close to each other, I feel like they are to very different lenses based on expected usage and results.
The 77 1.8 is slower than the 85 1.4 - you'd be payin for the extra stoppage. Do you need the extra low-light capability or necessary bokeh/background effects?
The 77 LTD is a 'characterful' lens which is not technically optically perfect. The 85 is * lens and almost 'clinical' in it's optical correctiveness.
It comes down to: Do you need the extra stoppage? Do you need 'perfectly' corrected optics?
Both lenses are capable of producing outstanding results! I've only handled the 77 and not the 85 but the 77 is certainly impressive and would highly recommend it for your use case.
(another consideration is the AW sealing on the 85, if that's something you need)
05-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Very nice images!

Have you looked at this thread on the 85? HD Pentax-D FA* 1:1.4 85mm Lens Club - PentaxForums.com

I own neither the 77 nor the 85, but the images I've seen from the 85 have consistently dropped my jaw, due in part to the expertise of the photographers. That is one very fine lens!

- Craig

Thank you! I did read that thread, and 77mm as well. Also went through the whole flickr gallery of both and checked all instagram hashtags.

Still very torn between both

05-11-2021, 10:47 AM - 7 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To add to your agony, I took this today with the DFA* 85mm at f2.8

05-11-2021, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I have both. Very different lenses. The 77 is very nice for portraiture, very special bokeh. Pentax made me buy it again since the *85 was delayed forever. What the 77 does not have is weather sealing and silent AF. Mine attracted some dust inside that may not visibly influence image quality, but it still is 🙈.
*85 is weather sealed, has silent AF and quite nice bokeh and dof of f/1.4. contrast and sharpness are better, but 77 has special smooth bokeh. The *85 is huge compared to the 77, so heavier and more scary for models.
05-11-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

to add to the question

the FA 77mm Limited is now available in HD coating

and on the " experienced " market in SMC

a comparison between the SMC FA Limiteds and HD FA Limiteds is in the works reportedly

and many members have found it hard to stop after buying a Limited Lens, they tend to buy more Limited lenses

05-11-2021, 11:30 AM - 3 Likes   #8

Photos: Albums
Don't forget the old 85mm 1.4, which is also extremely good and available for much better used prices now since the new 85 came out.
05-11-2021, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

I currently own a Pentax K-1 and Pentax KP and was looking to get Pentax 77mm 1.9 to use on both of those but now contemplating should I pay extra and get 85mm?

I'm torn apart as I've done my background check on 77mm and was in awe and decided to definitely get that one but.. now not sure what to do.

Kind regards

what did you use for the shots you took. they are awesome!!
05-11-2021, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Gorgeous!!!

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I have both. Very different lenses. The 77 is very nice for portraiture, very special bokeh. Pentax made me buy it again since the *85 was delayed forever. What the 77 does not have is weather sealing and silent AF. Mine attracted some dust inside that may not visibly influence image quality, but it still is 🙈.
*85 is weather sealed, has silent AF and quite nice bokeh and dof of f/1.4. contrast and sharpness are better, but 77 has special smooth bokeh. The *85 is huge compared to the 77, so heavier and more scary for models.
Thank you very much, all the points you mentioned are very valid!

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 11:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
to add to the question

the FA 77mm Limited is now available in HD coating

and on the " experienced " market in SMC

a comparison between the SMC FA Limiteds and HD FA Limiteds is in the works reportedly

and many members have found it hard to stop after buying a Limited Lens, they tend to buy more Limited lenses
Isn't the HD version manual though? With no AF?

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 11:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zjacreman Quote
Don't forget the old 85mm 1.4, which is also extremely good and available for much better used prices now since the new 85 came out.
Thank you! I was considering old Sigma 85mm 1.4 ideed, however I found only 2 used copies in UK, one sold very quickly, second one have broken hood which makes me think it could be dropped..

I do have manual Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 but it's not reliable for work purposes with me hit or not too hit the focus with my horrible eyesight!

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
what did you use for the shots you took. they are awesome!!
Thank you My trusty Pentax KP with Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8. Loooove this combo <3
05-11-2021, 12:07 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

I am jealous, not for the lens but the dog! It is such a lovely picture.
05-11-2021, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you! I did read that thread, and 77mm as well. Also went through the whole flickr gallery of both and checked all instagram hashtags.

There's an "easy" solution, of course!
05-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't the HD version manual though? With no AF?[
No. They are identical to the FA limited except for rounded aperture blades and improved coating (HD vs SMC). Notably the HD version of the FA 77 has screwdrive autofocus.
05-11-2021, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Looking at your samples there, it is hard to believe you need a new lens. :-) Lovely work!

I find the 77 to be the best lens I own, for pictures of people. I've never used the 85, though.

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 05-11-2021 at 12:34 PM.
05-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

Kind regards
To make it more difficult: The new HD version is lower in price than the SMC 77mm. The difference is about £ 200,00 (€ 250,00). So the gap between the 77mm and 85mm is now even wider. Lovely pictures by the way.
But if I look at the picture of Pschlute's dog, well it is brilliant and given the picture you showed us I would spend that extra money.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 05-11-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: adding a new line