Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 02:48 AM   #31
dlhawes

Congratulations on your choice! Hope it does well for you.
I decided to get the KP, myself, when faced with a similar dilemma (I don't think the "ii" version of the K3 was out at that time). I've been pretty much thrilled with it. I figured the faster frame rate of the K3 wasn't important because flying critters don't make much of a dent in my photography-time. And when they do, the KP does well enough. In all other criteria that were important to me, the KP was superior. Glad I made that choice.

05-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
Congratulations on your choice! Hope it does well for you.
I decided to get the KP, myself, when faced with a similar dilemma (I don't think the "ii" version of the K3 was out at that time). I've been pretty much thrilled with it. I figured the faster frame rate of the K3 wasn't important because flying critters don't make much of a dent in my photography-time. And when they do, the KP does well enough. In all other criteria that were important to me, the KP was superior. Glad I made that choice.
The K3-II was out in 2015, the KP is a 2017 camera, so if you got the KP, the K3-II was necessary available.
05-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #33
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
The K3-II was out in 2015, the KP is a 2017 camera, so if you got the KP, the K3-II was necessary available.
Yeah, well, that's what I was comparing it to, then.
05-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both the K-3II and the KP; in actual use between the two, there are pluses and minuses to both that prevented me from choosing one over the other and selling one.

The KP certainly has improved low-light performance; in a head to head comparison of the same scene and settings, the KP product is cleaner with less noise. In terms of overall image quality, to me it's a wash. Both are capable of outstanding results in low-ISO shooting situations.

The K-3II has the built-in GPS which is nice for hiking situations where I could enable GPS logging with the camera exposed without requiring attaching the OGPS-1 accessory (which may or not be important). I liked having a clean camera over my shoulder without extra accessories attached.

The only other issue to me was only a matter of perception with probably little basis in fact; to me, the K-3II just felt more solid, nearly bulletproof. I always felt I had to handle the KP a little more gingerly... again probably needlessly, but that's just me.

The only other factor in the K-3II's favor was battery life. Throughout a day of hiking, I never felt compelled to constantly check the battery level. But without a doubt, the KP produces outstanding image quality building upon that of the K-3II.

05-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Thanks everyone! It will be a KP, keeping my K3 as backup!
I've thought about the KP, it sounds really good but I think I'll save for a while and get the K3 III.

Is it even a thing to sell old equipment? I thought it was "Till death do us part"
05-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #36
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I couldn't afford the K3III; but I'm sure I will be more than pleased with the KP. I'm keeping my K3.