Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP or K3II

Thinking of upgrading my K3. Which would be better for birds & wildlife; KP, or a used K3II? Can't go over $1,000

05-15-2021, 05:38 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a KP with the battery grip

gave it to my son

preferred my K 3 and K 3 II both with battery grips

however I cannot challenge the advancements of the KP
05-15-2021, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Thinking of upgrading my K3. Which would be better for birds & wildlife; KP, or a used K3II? Can't go over $1,000
I just upgraded my K-3 II to a KP. What struck me was the better IQ. I bought the special offer kit with grip, bag and memory card for the price of body only, just after Ricoh announced that the KP is discontinued. Ricoh Europe has several kits with bag and memory card on offer. I think for wildlife the extra room the iso offers might be a bonus. My experience is that AF is faster than K-3 II.
05-15-2021, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

From the K3, the K3-II will not be a significant advantage, except integrated GPS. Get the KP.

05-15-2021, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #5

I have used a KP for a few years, now. I like it for birds and wildlife. The Pentax Forum review of the KP showed that the percentage of "keeper" images in AF tracking mode was higher in the KP than it was in the K3 (the K3 II has the same AF system as the original K3). I don't do much birds-in-flight except for larger, slower birds like herons and egrets; the KP does well for those, with proper technique, of course. For me, the only advantages of a K3-variant vs a KP would be the maximum frame rate (8.3 vs 7 fps) and the buffer, but I have not found those differences limiting me in any way.

As for ergonomics, it took me a very short time to make the transition to a camera without a top LCD. The user interface is outstanding. You may not like the feel of the large grip on the KP, but I got used to it reasonably quickly and it does not negatively impact my photography. I have and like the battery grip. You'd have to make a transition to a slightly different button layout. The single AF/AE lock button may not be to your liking if you use both on your K3; in that case you'd have to assign the AE lock function to another button.
05-15-2021, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from k-3 to KP. I prefer having an onboard flash and I wanted the improved iq. It’s a little weird to hold at first but I quickly adapted. I keep the k-3 for a few niche needs. Shooting hobby rocket liftoff images for example prefers the buffer and frame rate of the k-3.
05-15-2021, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where are you going to photograph those birds and wildlife? In areas around the equator where you will be at base ISO, there won't be much IQ difference, otherwise the KP might give you a slight edge. Though I've been perfectly happy with K-3II IQ except for high ISO, which is why I'm looking forward to the K-3III now.
A major difference might be batteries. Without the grip the KP might be at a disadvantage. Wildlife and birders typically imply a lot of bursts, which depletes the battery fast.
I find GPS coordinates very interesting information for wildlife. Doesn't improve the images, but it's interesting information from a "scientific" point-of-view. The one thing I will miss on the K-3III BTW...

05-15-2021, 07:04 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I shoot right in my back yard, for birds, wildlife.
05-15-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #9

KP has really improve image quality at high ISO over the K3 which will help with your backyard birds

---------- Post added 05-15-21 at 10:50 AM ----------

Here are some backyard birds at high iso with the KP
It does take some getting used to holding the KP with a large heavy lens

Backyard Birds April 2021_0026_DxO 16x10 | dm_shafer | Flickr

DFA 150-450 First Photos_0006_DxO 8x10 | dm_shafer | Flickr

---------- Post added 05-15-21 at 10:50 AM ----------

Here are some backyard birds at high iso with the KP

Backyard Birds April 2021_0026_DxO 16x10 | dm_shafer | Flickr

DFA 150-450 First Photos_0006_DxO 8x10 | dm_shafer | Flickr
05-15-2021, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simsburyphoto Quote

Since I have a manual film background I haven’t found it though or word once I got used to the grip. But my heavy lens is a da 60-250. My fa* 300 is lighter if I recall correctly.
05-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simsburyphoto Quote
KP has really improve image quality at high ISO over the K3 which will help with your backyard birds
Yes 1 to 1.5 stops better really help with shutter speed.
05-15-2021, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Compare how you use your K-3 to the same on the KP (see the user manual and detailed review at PF). If you don't find anything that would missing or that would crimp your style, the KP is definitely an attractive package.

Steve
05-15-2021, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I purchased my KP it was a toss-up between it and the K3, but what sold me on the KP was the flip-up rear screen on the KP. I now have two KP's, I liked it so much.
05-15-2021, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

I'd suggest a KP, as there won't be much improvement in the K-3ii as far as image quality (if there even is any - I can't remember if that's all identical in there), however with a KP you'll gain a couple usable stops of ISO which is great for shooting critters in the backyard! Since you're shooting at home too, I can't imagine the GPS will be much use - especially if you want to protect your location, so no geotagging anyways.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping to find a used KP and upgrade within the next six months or so, specifically for the better ISO and dynamic range over my K-50 for shooting wildife, however I'm not coming from a K-3 so I'm not sure if there's anything I'd miss from it
05-15-2021, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I shoot right in my back yard, for birds, wildlife.
My most common subject too.

Once I got a KP, I found I wasn't using my K-3 much so I sold it. I agree with others that the KP's superior ISO performance gives an extra 1.5-2 EV stops, which is just invaluable for wildlife (especially with a slow aperture lens like the DA 55-300 PLM).

I shoot a lot at 3200 ISO

And can go higher when necessary (6400 ISO)

The AF is better too. I also like the tilt screen for tripod shots and for high or low handheld shots and the third wheel is really handy.

I preferred the ergonomics of the K-3 (e.g. the grip and the placement of the AE-L-AF button), and the burst rate and battery life are superior. But they don't make up for the IQ advantages of the KP and the other features I have mentioned.