Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Honestly Pentax KP is amazing. And I also got used Pentax K1 recently to enjoy best of both Worlds. Would highly recommend both of those!

05-16-2021, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bad Boy Quote
Rather than upgrading your body seriously consider investing in better lenses. You will see more improvement in your photography upgrading your lenses.
That depends a lot on the types of images and where the limitations impact you. For birding there’s not really any fast glass available and the iso improvements might be the best choice of using reasonably good glass already for example. A landscape photographer using f5.6 or f8 would see less benefit moving to a newer lens with wider aperture and better wide open performance as another example.

If we are being totally honest, spending time and possibly money on improving techniques is the most payoff for most people. Gear is a bit of a distraction.
05-17-2021, 12:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bad Boy Quote
Rather than upgrading your body seriously consider investing in better lenses. You will see more improvement in your photography upgrading your lenses.
I tend to agree with the above. If you're not using the K-3 much, it would seem an upgrade body wouldn't change that much. I'm still a K-3II user, and although I'm waiting for my K-3III to be delivered, if that new body hadn't been release by Pentax, I would still be happy with the K-3II, which is not very different from the original K-3. Actually it's pretty much the same in terms of IQ. There are so many thing to discover in these old bodies, esp with a new lens. E.g. if you only have a zoom lens, why not try a small DA limited to reduce the bulk of your camera, and take it out a bit more because of that. Having a limited field-of-view will make you consider framing more carefully and greatly improve your photography. Also, follow a few photographers on social media to get new ideas, ...
Getting a new body is not the way to improve your photography, except if it has features that you are explicitly looking for.
05-17-2021, 06:49 AM   #19
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
perhaps even a K 1 or K 1 II ???
Yes, why not. Having one APS-C camera body and another full frame means lots of versatility. Actually, that's my game nowadays (K-1, K-3 and yet one K-5 "just in case" ). But still, I could not get much of these without a selection of 'good enough' lenses. And some of them are restricted to APS-C format.

05-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
. . . And some of them are restricted to APS-C format.
have you read this article ?

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
05-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #21
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
have you read this article ?
Sure, but thanks for mentioning.

It's true: many lenses made "only" for APS-C still work well also in FF. But not all, by which I may refer also to some third party lenses. Worth trying every lens you have, anyway.Let me give an example: Sigma 3,5/10-20 DC, ultra wide for APS-C. Usable and actually quite good in FF @17-20 mm, being (of course) still ultrawide. But now with only a very short zoom range, so less versatile than in the crop format.