Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
bet it was easier to determine than the life of various methods of making a print!

if my calculations are correct... at 3fps, hooked up to a permanent power supply and with no memory card (can they do that? I don't know) it would only take 9.5hrs to test it
Yes that would yield data for failure. However, it isn't realistic. How many people shoot continuously for 9.5 hours? Except for Tour de Force anyway. The shutter mechanism is likely to heat up in that situation and loose the lubricant as a result. My original comment was something of a quip. I would expect them to do tests like this but over a period of days.

11-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Shutter actuation count

Well thank you to all who contributed with a reply - I think I get the Picture!!!

Regards

David
11-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know what is the pentax stated number of shutter actuations for k200d ?
11-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CertEdFriday Quote
Could someone explain the importance of the number of shutter releases a DSLR has recorded in it's life? After a certain number, does the camera need an overhaul or is it for the scrap heap
The shutter as stated is rated for 100,000 clicks. I am not sure how they get this number. My first GX10 died at 38,000. But it is a valid average, and you can get much more than 100,000 or maybe less.

But I would like to add that I believe dSLRs do need tune ups. My extended Samsung warranty of 4 years comes with a free tune up and cleaning, to bring the camera back into factory calibrations. All systems will be checked, AF, SR, yes even the SR can be adjusted. I think overtime many peoples dSLRs may start to fall out of spec slowly and one day they say "hey I don't like this slow to AF, BF/FF camera anymore and it has this problem and that problem" never realizing the performance degradation overtime. I am not sure when, but if your camera has any AF problems or starts to BF/FF or it has close to 100,000 clicks I say its time to send it in to get tuned up. Its not 100% nessesary and only my IMO. But Samsung does offer it for some reason, they probably know something we dont.

11-27-2008, 12:33 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
The shutter as stated is rated for 100,000 clicks. I am not sure how they get this number. My first GX10 died at 38,000. But it is a valid average, and you can get much more than 100,000 or maybe less.

But I would like to add that I believe dSLRs do need tune ups. My extended Samsung warranty of 4 years comes with a free tune up and cleaning, to bring the camera back into factory calibrations. All systems will be checked, AF, SR, yes even the SR can be adjusted. I think overtime many peoples dSLRs may start to fall out of spec slowly and one day they say "hey I don't like this slow to AF, BF/FF camera anymore and it has this problem and that problem" never realizing the performance degradation overtime. I am not sure when, but if your camera has any AF problems or starts to BF/FF or it has close to 100,000 clicks I say its time to send it in to get tuned up. Its not 100% nessesary and only my IMO. But Samsung does offer it for some reason, they probably know something we dont.
It's the same idea as a car. What would happen to your car if you ran it for 100,000kms without changing the oil? Would it even make it that far? Everything that has mechanics in it will require a tune up eventually, especially the precision moving parts of a camera.
11-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
It's the same idea as a car. What would happen to your car if you ran it for 100,000kms without changing the oil? Would it even make it that far? Everything that has mechanics in it will require a tune up eventually, especially the precision moving parts of a camera.
True.. but problem is, that depending on your country, this tune up can cost almost as a new body