Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film Emulation

This may well have been asked before so apologies if it has.

Looking at my K70's Custom image setting there are 13 different settings but not one, as I understand it, that emulates any specific named film type be it black and white or colour, on the other hand my Fuji XE-1 mirrorless has 7 specific film types to choose from plus 3 generic black and white, granted Fuji is/was a film producer so that's probably not unexpected.

I'm just curious if it is possible to add a specific film type into the camera's settings - I'm not going to do it just curious.

I suspect that it is because Pentax is not tied to any film maker ?

I believe that you can do this with certain post processing software.

05-16-2021, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Film emulation is just that, simulating the effect you'd get with a given film. Although emulations are available, they aren't an exact science and one emulation for Kodachrome, for example, might be somewhat different from another depending on the emulation source. I don't think Pentax is going to take the effort to get a group of film emulations "right" and then market a camera with those (they would tend to get picked apart by some who see a given emulation another way - a certain amount of subjectivity is involved). There's also the case of leaving out a favorite emulsion and the outcry that would result.

It's far easier to give a camera RAW capability and then let others deal with creating an emulation based on the RAW files. That approach also allows emulations to be later added for other film emulsions as users see fit. You're correct that this capability is built into post processing software like RawTherapee and the like. That's probably where it's best implemented.
05-16-2021, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

It would be interesting if we could compile color profiles in a PC and import them into the camera. just an idea!
05-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only Fuji offers that "in-camera" and only for Fuji films.

Steve

05-16-2021, 02:55 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
It would be interesting if we could compile color profiles in a PC and import them into the camera. just an idea!
Isn't there a recent/active thread on the site intent on creating variations on the camera's custom image settings? That is probably as close as one might get for in-camera.

Steve
05-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

By developing a "film emulation" using the supplied "Digital Camera Utility" software, you can take the settings directly from the program and set them into a User Mode in the camera … both the program and the cameras use the same settings
So, take an image, any image that was taken with your camera, that you consider might be "representative", load it into the DCU program and jiggle with the settings until you achieve what you want, then load those settings into your camera.
Take some more pictures, then fine-tune those settings, if needed. After a couple of iterations you should be able to achieve "perfection".
Obviously, these settings only have an effect on .jpg files, so you might want to save RAW+ in the first few instances, so if you want/need to take a step or two back it's easy to do so.
Not a feature I've played with (yet), but there is an option within the DCU to "Load Parameter" and "Save Parameter" within the "Laboratory" section, so having achieved something acceptable with one picture, one can easily apply those parameters to a second (and subsequent) pictures, thereby possibly speeding up the business of generating a profile that "works" with multiple images.
These parameter files are just text files, so might be easily shared!
Unfortunately there's not, as far as I'm aware, any opportunity to copy a parameter file directly to a camera, the details all needing to be entered manually.
It'll be interesting to hear of any success (or failures)

Last edited by kypfer; 05-16-2021 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Afterthought
05-16-2021, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are many film emulation presets available for Lightroom/Photoshop to use if you post-process your images on the computer.

If you interested in modifying the existing Custom Image settings in camera to look like film then check out this thread Creating a jpeg style - PentaxForums.com

05-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

most image-editors offer film 'looks' now - I've seen them in Luminar and ON 1 Photo Raw...
05-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Isn't there a recent/active thread on the site intent on creating variations on the camera's custom image settings? That is probably as close as one might get for in-camera.

Steve
Thank you for pointing that out, will try and find it!
05-16-2021, 05:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
There are many film emulation presets available for Lightroom/Photoshop to use if you post-process your images on the computer.
This is probably the easiest way to do it.
05-16-2021, 05:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Raw Therapee and Darktable are two free options for raw processing with film simulations. This wasn't built in functionality but a plug in last time I checked, but easy enough to use and good looking. This looks like a newer project for darktable simulations, haven't tried it but I think I'll give it a shot https://blog.joaoalmeidaphotography.com/en/t3mujinpack-film-darktable/
05-16-2021, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use DXO film emulations in post processing. The main ones I like are b&w films.
05-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fuji's "simulations" are really just vaguely inspired by's, rather than simulations. DXO Nik Collection will get you a lot closer to films. But I think what is mostly at stake is the ability to create good, pleasing colors with a bit of a slant one way or another. Ricoh's positive film profile in the GR series is a good example. I haven't really found Pentax to be quite as on top of things with their JPEG engine in this respect.
05-17-2021, 12:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote

If you interested in modifying the existing Custom Image settings in camera to look like film then check out this thread Creating a jpeg style - PentaxForums.com
Yeah, lots of YouTubers have their own set that they sell to make an extra buck. I haven't bought any of them since I try to make my own to my own taste, but if you are a Lightroom user and are looking for some, Jamie Windsor has a few nice looking sets for lovers of old film styles.
05-17-2021, 12:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The emulations of the Fuji cameras are praised by their fans. Idk if it’s due to the “precision” but it would be nice to have the same experience with Pentax. For me 3-4 emulations should do it. Interesting idea.
Nevertheless it is also very interesting to try to achieve this in pp. Very creative and educating process.