Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Agreed, although I believe the cause is the use of the word "investment". Governments do that all the time also. You're not "investing" on a road, you're "spending". It might be wise, useful, etc, but it's not investing. Spending money in your hobby might be well spent, but it's not an investment.
Well see it this way: If I invest in my hobby I have to spend money. (see: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/investment) Actually the word investment has a broader meaning than most people know I am afraid. So yes, I invest money in a lens to make better pictures. I buy the lens and the result is (I hope for anyway) that I make better pictures. An investment must lead to a (positive) result. So if the lens does not give the result you want you have actually lost money. Spending money is much more general and does not have to lead to a (positive) result. So yes a government does invest on a road because they want to have a result, such as preventing the traffic coming to a stop during rush our. I agree it is a bit of a difficult word to use, but I understand why people say they invest in a lens by which they usually mean that it is costly and that they want to use it for long time.

05-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Money we save, is money not collected by Pentax - and they are working hard on getting it.