Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2021, 05:17 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In a vacuum, I think you over paid for that k3. Compared to the MK III, I think only you can answer that question. Yes it's better, but are the photos $1,300 better? For me and my uses, that's a hard pass (my MK II was $600 with 2,000 actuations).

05-18-2021, 06:04 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, let me state that I carry two camera bodies with different lenses so I have and use both the K-3 and K-3iii. The new K-3iii is much more advanced in its feature set. High ISO shooting is much better. The high frame rate and improved autofocus makes it a natural for action photos. Right now I don’t think the K-3iii is a ‘good deal’ since it just launched but is an awesome camera. The k-3 you list looks to be in good condition. You will probably end up with both :-).
05-18-2021, 06:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

B.P. You bought it, no second guessing, now just enjoy it. I am assuming it is a leap ahead of what you were also using?
05-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd agree that the price was a bit on the high side but as the OP has already bought it, it's a moot point.

05-18-2021, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Readers in the US might think the price high, but the OP lives in France and the used market in Europe is different.
05-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Readers in the US might think the price high, but the OP lives in France and the used market in Europe is different.
the marketplace at the forums does seem to be better here in the US than elsewhere
05-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the marketplace at the forums does seem to be better here in the US than elsewhere
... but you can expect to pay import duty and VAT if a European buys from the US. The sum can be significant.

05-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

... but you can expect to pay import duty and VAT if a European buys from the US. The sum can be significant.
i didn't mean to suggest that those outside the US use it

just that we appear to be lucky
05-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
i didn't mean to suggest that those outside the US use it

just that we appear to be lucky
There are definitely some good camera deals on this marketplace. Wait long enough and the new K3 will be less than a grand.
05-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
B.P. You bought it, no second guessing, now just enjoy it. I am assuming it is a leap ahead of what you were also using?
This ^ ^ ^

This too ^ ^ ^

Steve
05-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I would not class them as a "collectors item". They are just a different version of the same camera, so not more worth than a regular black one. If I have a good look at them in a shop compared to the black ones they look cheap. The silver/black combination is a bit nostalgic, but there was a reason that most camera's became black. It looked far more professional (my first black one was an ME) than the silver/black ones, they looked more impressive.
05-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good looks are in the eye of the beholder. When I got my first SLR, a modestly-priced Vivitar, it was all black and had a metal body. I got it at a camera shop, and as I recall, all brands at varying prices on display were black. Later, some were in two-tone, silver/black. Still metal bodies. These were all-manual cameras. The two-tone look "seemed dressier" and more expensive to some people, more refined and finished with a little more workmanship, while the black look seemed more utilitarian. I thought the old ME Super had an impressive well-finished look, with its accented inlay work and 2-piece wind lever. It was my first Pentax. I had 2 of them and they saw around 15 years of use (some of those years after I had also acquired all-black AF systems) and were still perfect when I finally gave them away.

Of course the new K-3 III presents some important advancements. It better, at 2 grand USD! But if one makes little use of the advancements it offers, the K-3 can still produce marvelous imaging. And it sports an inboard flash for those like me who use it for fill and quick grab shots. Nice to find a low-use K-3, with some accessories, and the more rare silver/black to boot.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-18-2021 at 02:05 PM.
05-18-2021, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeap. With the grip and low actuations, at 570€ it's perhaps a bit on the expensive side but not outrageously so.
Cheapest I've seen for a body-only K-3 is in the vicinity of 350-400€ for gear with at least 30k shots on its back (which isn't concerning, but it's certainly *more* used than what OP is getting).

---------- Post added 05-18-21 at 02:15 PM ----------

Just adding to this that the magic number is 6.7% duty on camera lenses. Which is added multiplicatively on top of whatever your country VAT is (Germany is at 19%, Spain is at 21%).

So yeah, buying one of those tasty looking lenses from the Marketplace would stab me with a nifty 27% tax. That also applies to the shipping costs (don't those get taxed in the country of origin?).
05-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #29
Closed Account

It doesn't seem like a bad price to me for what you're getting. There's suddenly quite a few K3's and K5's coming onto UK ebay, presumably from upgraders to the new K3. K3 bodies are 400 to 500 pound and surprisingly K5 II's around 350, which is up from what they were going for. Might be a good time to offload my K5.
05-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given our point and time and age of the K3, I'd think hard about the III. Think of it in terms of going forward and the technology changes. Start with a current release or one many years old, and which one puts you in a better spot 5 years from now?