Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2021, 01:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 vs K3 mark III as best deal ?

I'm going to have a K3 this week, limited silver edition with grip, all accessories and leather collar instead of the black one, around 9000 actuations, was an exposition/demo camera... for 700$

Just wanted to know if it was a good deal vs an expensive mark III. Is the mark III realy better when the main concern (mine) is IQ and ergonomy + MTBF ?

Have all a nice Pentecote sunday, thanks for any special infos on the K3 vs K3 mark III and also K5 vs K3 that I would not know yet (2 SD slots, 24.3 Mpixel...)

B.P.

05-18-2021, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3 is a still a fine camera, but there are many reasons to go for the Mark III if your budget will stretch to it. I have only had mine for a few days, but

The sensor is better. Colour noise is very well controlled, even at ISO's that would spin your head if you were shooting with a K-3. In some ways it is better than the K-1.
The AF is better - by miles. Frame rate is slightly better too. If you intend to shoot sports, etc. it will be chalk and cheese.
The viewfinder is considerably bigger and brighter. I was a little skeptical about the hype, but it really is impressive.
Connectivity is better, with built in WiFi, etc rather than the clunky FluCard work-around.

There is much more, but you can look up the specs anywhere.
05-18-2021, 01:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

$700 is too much for original K3. They can usually be had for $400 or so on ebay. Even K3 II often at under $500 .
05-18-2021, 01:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like an excellent price for a low usage camera, especially with all the accessories.
Inevitably, the accessories are only of value if you are going to use them or re-sell them.
The K-3iii has a superior auto-focus system and significantly greater low-light capability, but again, only of value if you are going to use them.
Other than that, I doubt you would be able to notice any difference in image quality under normal circumstances.
Good luck

05-18-2021, 01:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
$700 is too much for original K3. They can usually be had for $400 or so on ebay. Even K3 II often at under $500 .

The ones I saw at these price have no 2nd batterie and have more than 50.000 actuations, that's why I chosed this one, from a japanese pro shop.
New on Amazon they are sold at 1999 in standard edition without grip !
I also chosen this one to impress my customer, the look & feel is more pro than ordinary black K3
05-18-2021, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K3iii will trump the K3 at AF.C, burst rate and high iso, but for most photographers, they constitute only a small percentage of what they shoot. For everything else, the K3 is still very competitive, and in fact I've had great success shooting birds with the K3, so it's no slouch even there.

And the K3 has a built-in flash, if that's of use to you!
05-18-2021, 02:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
The ones I saw at these price have no 2nd batterie and have more than 50.000 actuations, that's why I chosed this one, from a japanese pro shop.
New on Amazon they are sold at 1999 € in standard edition without grip !
I also chosen this one to impress my customer, the look & feel is more pro than ordinary black K3
You mean like this one ?

PENTAX K-3 Silver Edition 24.3 MP Digital Camera with batttery grip | eBay

K-3 silver with matching battery grip, for $449 . Shipping is a bit high, $46 from Minnesota to California. Probably even more to France, plus you'll have to pay import duties there (I'm French and had the misfortune of sending a K200D to my mother in Paris. It was intercepted by customs and stayed there for 2 months. In the end, I had to pay more in duties than the camera was worth. sigh.).

If you really want to impress your customer, you should have an uncommon color camera. Loved my blue K-30, wish they made the K-3 II in that color. I could go for pink too, lol.

Second battery doesn't cost much. And with the battery grip you can use eneloop AAs in the K-3 or K-3 II. Not in the K-3 Mark III unfortunately.

05-18-2021, 02:17 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The K-3 is a still a fine camera, but there are many reasons to go for the Mark III if your budget will stretch to it. I have only had mine for a few days, but

The sensor is better. Colour noise is very well controlled, even at ISO's that would spin your head if you were shooting with a K-3. In some ways it is better than the K-1.
The AF is better - by miles. Frame rate is slightly better too. If you intend to shoot sports, etc. it will be chalk and cheese.
The viewfinder is considerably bigger and brighter. I was a little skeptical about the hype, but it really is impressive.
Connectivity is better, with built in WiFi, etc rather than the clunky FluCard work-around.

Not parting with my K1 but you have sold me on the K3iii for wildlife and dance.
05-18-2021, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K3 is an older camera. Even with fewer actuations, it probably won't have as long a life span as a newer camera. Only you can say what value put on things though. Certainly the K3 is a nice camera and will take great images if you pair with good glass.
05-18-2021, 03:32 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

do you want or need the " latest or brightest "

the difference between a camera manufactured in the last few months or a camera manufactured years ago

QuoteQuote:
the tale of the tape
Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
05-18-2021, 03:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

You are certainly right for K1 vs K3 mark III but same, why I will need a K1 is because 90% of my 12 lenses are FF and a 24mm is nice on the K1
I have a friend who collects all vintage photo stuff, he has very rare lenses and some are K mount. He told me about a 20mm FF maybe Leica or something like that.
05-18-2021, 03:39 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billking Quote
Not parting with my K1 but you have sold me on the K3iii for wildlife and dance.
many think that full frame sensor is good for some types of photography and the ASP-C sensor is good for others

and there is the continuous shutter burst and buffer rate to look at as well
05-18-2021, 03:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You’ll never be satisfied until you get a K-3 III.

Save your money until then.

If you are short on cas and to speed things up, put the word out to your friends and loved ones that you are saving for your new camera. A cash gift in advance of your birthday, or special day, will be greatly appreciated. Everyone who knows you wants you to succeed (even me and we’ve just met). Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Also, be true to yourself and everyone who helps by doing great things with your nw camera. As luck will have it… you never can tell.

Cheers… M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 05-18-2021 at 03:48 AM.
05-18-2021, 03:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I agree with you there, the last one of this edition were sold new in Europe for only € 999,00. If it had been the gun metal ltd version I would think again, but even these went for € 999,00 in the end. The only thing you impress your customer with is an outstanding picture, the K-3 and K-3 II will go a long way, but the K-3 Mark III promises to go even further. If I compare the results of the K-3 Mark II to the KP I would go for the KP, because the improvements IQ wise are significant. So the much more modern new K-3 will beat the older K-3's and the KP. Back to impressing customers, an all black camera makes you less visible than a flashy silver one. And I am the proud owner of a very flashy Yellow K-01, that colour gets results, not only in superb images, but also in reactions of people. But all those thoughts are in vain, as I understand that the OP has already ordered his Silver K-3.
05-18-2021, 04:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

700 USD does seem a lot. I used to sell my second hand bodies at around USD 400 in the past, but those were never as old as the K-3 is now (the last one was the K-5). Of course those were regular black body only editions, with only one battery, but with a similar shutter count as your K-3. But even then, an extra 300 USD seems a lot to pay for the grip and battery and silver finish.

However, silver editions might be considered collectors items at some time in the future, and as such regular second hand prices might not apply? All depends on what you want to spend then...