Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why Camera doesn't Display Zoom Info

No one of my Pentax camera (k-01, k-5ii, KP) shows zoom number in mm neither on LCD panel, nor through the view finder or Live View. Meanwhile this number is known to a camera (it is present in picture exif). But why? Is it only Pentax or the same is true for other manufactures?

05-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure why you need the zoom number in mm, I use both prime lenses and all-around zoom lenses, always with the optical viewfinder OV. And I do not need the zoom number in mm.

What I see is what I get ... with the great (Pentax) OV. And BTW thank you Pentax for your superb OV in the K-7, K-5, K-3! (and likely K-1 that I do not have)

My 5 cents.
05-19-2021, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
No one of my Pentax camera (k-01, k-5ii, KP) shows zoom number in mm neither on LCD panel, nor through the view finder or Live View. Meanwhile this number is known to a camera (it is present in picture exif). But why? Is it only Pentax or the same is true for other manufactures?
I've not seen it in the Canon, Nikon, Oly or Fuji cameras I've used.
05-19-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find it an annoying feature also. It makes comparisons harder to setup and it is just helpful to know so you can get a feel for the focal length impact on your images.

05-19-2021, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I find it an annoying feature also. It makes comparisons harder to setup and it is just helpful to know so you can get a feel for the focal length impact on your images.
Took the words out of my mouth.
05-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I am not sure why you need the zoom number in mm...
I will not tell that this feature is a must, but still there are some use cases I have in mind:
  • Zoom lens has non-even performance across the range. So I would prefer to do later some cropping, but avoid go into the long end above some number.
  • I am walking with the zoom an have a prime on me which has a better performance and is in the zoom range. I found some interesting shot and I would like to know if I can arrange similar composition with the prime.
  • And finally, if it can be done, why it is not implemented? Unless there are some technical obstacles but in that case I want to know it.
05-19-2021, 08:21 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

You can see the current focal length (zoom or not) in the quick menu (info menu?) for cameras that allow you to configure it (I have a K1ii). Assign to one of the tiles "Input focal length". For manual lenses, you'd get to enter the focal length for SR, but when the camera reads the focal length that tile is greyed and shows the current mm.

05-19-2021, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

My K-70, KP and K-3iii all show the current setting of any a/f zoom lens fitted in the Control Panel, assuming I have the "Set Focal Length" option included in the Control Panel. It is a feature I've used when trying to compare "like with like" on zoom lenses
I don't think the earlier cameras have the option of configuring what is shown on the control panel. The K-5 and the K-01 have a "Set Focal Length" option in one of the menus, but this is greyed out when an a/f lens is fitted.

Last edited by kypfer; 05-19-2021 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Grammar
05-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
You can see the current focal length (zoom or not) in the quick menu (info menu?) for cameras that allow you to configure it (I have a K1ii). Assign to one of the tiles "Input focal length". For manual lenses, you'd get to enter the focal length for SR, but when the camera reads the focal length that tile is greyed and shows the current mm.
Thanks! I’m going to check my KP to see if I can set that up.
05-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My K-70, KP and K-3iii all show the current setting of any a/f zoom lens fitted in the Control Panel, assuming I have the "Set Focal Length" option included in the Control Panel.
May you provide a little bit more info. I bought KP used from Japan and paper manual which came with it useless for me. Obviously I have PDF but so far I did not find how to configure it. Where that option "Set Focal Length" located? Thanks in advance.
05-19-2021, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Hit the info button to get to the screen with the tiles of the various settings. If you see a focal length tile already, then there you go -- zoom in and out and see if it changes. Otherwise, pick a tile you don't mind losing, hit the FX3 button, and then you can navigate to that tile and change it to a different setting with a scroll menu of all the settings. Find "input focal length" and set it.
05-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Hit the info button to get to the screen with the tiles of the various settings. If you see a focal length tile already, then there you go -- zoom in and out and see if it changes. Otherwise, pick a tile you don't mind losing, hit the FX3 button, and then you can navigate to that tile and change it to a different setting with a scroll menu of all the settings. Find "input focal length" and set it.
Got it. Indeed it works. Not the way I want it (I would rather have it in the viewfinder) but it is better then nothing.
05-19-2021, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not most zooms have a scale written on the lens itself ?
05-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hmmm...I guess I never noticed that before. If I zoom, it is seldom to a particular focal length.

Steve
05-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I stumbled across this feature in a Panasonic S5 and to my amazement I saw the zoomrange in the EVF going from 20 to 60. I like that very much because it makes it easy to set different zoom lenses to a specific focal length to compare it you want to do such a thing. But for many years I have done without it, so I am not missing much in my Pentax's. It is indeed wysiwyg. And in normal circumstances you zoom until the composition or the magnifying suits you.