Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
16x22 Print Quality

Hi all,

Can the Pentax K10D produce a professional, print quality 16x22 print, or is that pushing the envelope in terms of mp? A client wants to enlarge a photo I'd taken with my K10d to at least this size, and asked me what the quality would be like. I honestly don't know, as I'm limited in the sizes I can print.

Thanks,

11-25-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can print much larger than 22" X 16", I routinely print 5ft X 4ft from my K10D with superb results.

Obviously some 'interpolation' (adding pixels to 'pad' out the file size so it will print at the size you want) is required here if you have Photoshop heres one way to do it which ensures the minimum of 'interpolation'.

Open PS and select New, in the dialogue box select the unit (in our case Inches) and enter your size in this example 22 X 16. Now comes the clever bit.

In the resolution set it so the file size (shown in the bottom right) equals 1Meg per inch on the longest side. In our case 22 Meg, you'll find its around 150ppi.

What we have done here is tell PS the dimensions and resolution we want the final file to print at, now to get the picture in.

Go to Bridge and Highlight the picture you want, still in Bridge go to File>Place>In Photoshop. This will 'plop' your picture in the centre of your new canvas with the Transform Tools bounding box around it. Holding down the Shift Key (to maintain aspect ratio) drag one of the corner 'Anchor Points' to the edge of the Canvas then repeat for the other edge.

At this point you can crop the image to get exactly the part of the picture onto the canvas you want. Clicking and dragging inside the bounding box will move the image around. If you run out of screen space, just use the shortcut Ctrl + 0 (the number zero) will show all. When your happy hit Enter.

In the Layers Palette you will see your picture Layer on top of the Background canvas Layer.

Selecting the Move Tool will enable you to move the picture around on the canvas, if you need to go back in and resize the image then Ctrl + T will re-activate the Transform Tool.

Double clicking the Zoom Tool (magnifying glass icon) will show you your picture at 100%, this is how your printer will 'lay down' the image so you can see exactly what your going to get.

When all is complete Flatten the Image and save the file, this is the file you send to your printer or print lab. It will print exactly as it was on your screen and exactly the size you set. If your going for a canvas print you may want to add a few inches to the canvas (and adjusting the resolution with the 1M per Inch on the longest side) so you have enough to wrap around the frame, check with your print lab about this, some need it, most don't.

5ft X 4ft isn't the limit by the way, but its as large as I can print.

Chris
11-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats pushing it a bit. The camera will do fine, but you'd better have a good quality lens.
I've made some very nice 16x24 inch prints from the K10 that were very good indeed, so it can be done. I tend to use high quality primes.
A cheap zoom lens won't provide the quality you need.
11-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
You can print much larger than 22" X 16", I routinely print 5ft X 4ft from my K10D with superb results.

Obviously some 'interpolation' (adding pixels to 'pad' out the file size so it will print at the size you want) is required here if you have Photoshop heres one way to do it which ensures the minimum of 'interpolation'.
<snip>
Wouldn't it just be easier to open the file and use the crop tool?

11-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have not done anything listed above. I loaded a shot from my DS ( I can only imagine the K10 would be the same or better) to http://www.elcocolor.com/poster_special.htm and had great looking 20X30 prints made.
11-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If the image is sharp, it should not be a problem. one of the best ways to increase the image size with minimal resolution loss is to use a program called Genuine Fractals. A friend uses it to make life-size prints of models for ball gown catalog ads. he shoots with a 10mpx olympus.

see the program here and download the demo: onOne Software - Genuine Fractals Photoshop Plugin
11-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I havent done anything that big from directly a digital file from digital DSLR, but I have some large prints (20x30 inches and 16x24 inches) printed from scanned negatives which produced 9.5 mp files and results are stunning. In fact, scanned negatives were from ISO 400 print film, which as I understand, is about the same resolution as a 10 megapix file.

Another thing to consider, is that such a big print (framed for display or whatever means for display purposes) is to be watched from certain distance (at least 5 or 6 feet away) which means that you will not need anything more that 100 dpi output.

11-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No one here is giving you a good excuse to buy a K20.

I used to make tons of 8x10s and the occasional 11x14 from a 3mp point and shoot. The walls of my local photo store are covered with 11x14s from cameras with half the effective resolution of a K10d kit. Sometimes I think we do get a bit obsessive with resolution and forget, as pointed out above, that larger photos are viewed from a distance.

It reminds me of my film days when I would always have one body loaded with K25. Unless a friend put his nose up against a 16x20 Ciba, he would not notice the difference.
11-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

While I haven't printed any of my photos from my K10D to that size yet, i have seen some very nice large prints on display shot with older 6 megapixel cameras so I don't think there would be problems getting a 16x20 from a K10D. I did see a beautiful 16x20 this past summer at an art show in Saratoga taken with a K100.
11-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything's been covered here....

I've printed many images at 16x20 with high quality lenses and they are beautiful. I have never had any issue with print quality from a DS or a K10D, so long as your image is very good to begin with.

Regards,
Marc
11-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I routinely print (Epson 2200) 12X18 from K20D...BUT...results sometimes don't equal 4000ppi Nikon scans of Astia or even of 160iso negative film, shot with several Canon FD SSC lenses (Canon F1). Those films are grainless at that magnification. I also prefer film for large B&W. My Pentax primes and sensor may equal or sometimes seem to exceed the resolution of the Canon and fine film. but there's a smoothness issue that's hard to describe...
11-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

i'm printing a 24x30 from my K100D ... i'll report back when i get it
11-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a landscape photo printed at 16X24 from my K10D with the FA31 and it is beautiful, could have easily gone bigger.
Great tip ChrisJ.
11-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It will be fine, you could go larger if you want, remember the viewing distance of a print is further away for larger sizes.
11-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't buy the "viewing distance" theory. Many/most folks get within inches, no matter the size....middle agers especially may HAVE to get close because bifocals force book distance or too-far-away...unless they resort to those continuous bifocals, which are far inferior optically. Even giant murals need to look good at 12", and they do with good interpolation.