Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What settings affect the RAW files?

What settings affect the RAW files? For instance, if I over expose, or if I set the sharpness to +2, or saturation to -1, etc... I know those affect the JPEG engine, but do they affect the RAW file?

Jeremy

11-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To mu humble understanding, RAW is only affected by ISO setting. All other settings (sharpness, white balance, saturation, contrast, etc.) are not affected.

I dunno about noise reduction? Anyone can shed a light here?
11-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The only settings that carry over to raw is how you shot it - ie. ISO, Av, & Tv. All the other settings are stored and used by a raw converter, but you do not have to abide by them. They do not affect the file whatsoever.

-Brian
11-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremy_c Quote
What settings affect the RAW files? For instance, if I over expose, or if I set the sharpness to +2, or saturation to -1, etc... I know those affect the JPEG engine, but do they affect the RAW file?
Jeremy
Shutter speed and aperture are physical things - there is no way they could *not* affect the file. ISO is also practically a physical setting; it definitely affects RAW data. Those are the three parameters of exposure, so yes, overexposure affects RAW data. But probably nothing else does. I've heard claims that the high ISO NR might, or that D-range might,

Of course, just because changing saturation and so forth doesn't affect the RAW data doesn't mean it has no effect at all. It will affect the preview the camera embeds within the file, so most browsers that display the embedded preview will show the effects of those settings. And some RAW processing programs will look at the settings you made (which *are* stored within the file, even though they don't affect the RAW data itself), and will use them as starting points in performing their own conversions. But you can always override those settings.

11-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
To mu humble understanding, RAW is only affected by ISO setting. All other settings (sharpness, white balance, saturation, contrast, etc.) are not affected.

I dunno about noise reduction? Anyone can shed a light here?
I believe on the K20 noise reduction is unavoidable.
11-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I believe on the K20 noise reduction is unavoidable.
The slow shutter speed NR (dark frame subtraction - the thing that makes long exposures take twice as long) is unavoidable, and I'm assuming that does affect RAW. The high ISO NR can be turned off or set to weak or strong values, and I'm assuming that's JPEG only.
11-26-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, contrast, saturation and sharpness have no direct effect on the raw data, but they are used for the preview and the histogram you see once the shot is made...

So, be careful with these...
I've put contrast to its minimum, as this setting is the nearest equivalent of what I obtain in ACR from the RAW files.
11-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

The settings you mention do not effect RAW files.

11-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Your question can be answered with one simple word: Exposure. That is the why you don't need to worry about anything else like white balance etc. when shooting RAW. All that matters is exposure (Shutter speed, f-stop, ISO). Everything else is postprocessing.