Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2021, 06:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1

KP, My new Pentax DSLR

Got my1st DSLR - Pentax K5 in 2011. 2nd DSLR K30 in 2013 as the K5's spare. (K5 had some mirror flipping issue).
3rd DSLR K1 in 2016. The K30 had the aperture block issue since last year...... and tonight I got my 4th DSLR KP !!!

Just try a few shot in house with ISO 1600, and the difference between this and the last 2 APS-C camera is huge.

Its hard to decide to buy the new K3-III or a used KP in last few weeks but finally I pull the trigger because of the 2/3 price difference. Can't wait to take the KP out for some photos.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 7.2  Photo 
06-02-2021, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
Its hard to decide to buy the new K3-III or a used KP in last few weeks but finally I pull the trigger because of the 2/3 price difference. Can't wait to take the KP out for some photos.

The image quality differences between the KP and the K-3iii are minimal, under 'normal' circumstances.
Unless you need the extra functionality of the K-3iii, the KP will serve you very well!
Enjoy
06-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congratulations on your acquisition of the K P

if you don't already have it, I recommend you consider getting the Ebook for it -

QuoteQuote:
Pentax KP eBook
Lifetime download access to Yvon Bourque's comprehensive Pentax KP guidebook! (PDF) Download here after purchasing
Amount: US$18.99
PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations
06-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did the same thing. I gave up waiting for the k3iii and bought a KP. It’s not the same camera, but the results are fantastic. I’d love to have been able to have both but I’m happy with the KP. You shouldn’t find you regret the KP. A few high high frame rate situations exist where the older k-3 I have will be likely to be used, but overall the KP is my go to.

06-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I’ve been using this KP for a while now.
Images are excellent, feels perfect for my scrawny hands. Congratulations, you will also love it! Enjoy!!

Hang up and DRIVE!
06-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I did the same thing. I gave up waiting for the k3iii and bought a KP. It’s not the same camera, but the results are fantastic. I’d love to have been able to have both but I’m happy with the KP. You shouldn’t find you regret the KP. A few high high frame rate situations exist where the older k-3 I have will be likely to be used, but overall the KP is my go to.
I did that too. Ricoh is dumping the KP with the grip which made it very affordable + Pentax bag and 32gb memory card for the price of the body alone. So I decided not to wait for the K-e3 Mark III and bought this set instead.
06-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Forgot to mention … assuming the new camera doesn't have the latest firmware, the recent update (v1.30) does seem to improve the a/f performance, especially when tracking a moving subject.
Weird how they released a firmware update at almost the same time as the camera appeared to have been withdrawn!
Nevertheless, worth the effort

06-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
Got my1st DSLR - Pentax K5 in 2011. 2nd DSLR K30 in 2013 as the K5's spare. (K5 had some mirror flipping issue).
3rd DSLR K1 in 2016. The K30 had the aperture block issue since last year...... and tonight I got my 4th DSLR KP !!!

Just try a few shot in house with ISO 1600, and the difference between this and the last 2 APS-C camera is huge.

It is a beauty, and performs even above its good looks! I have 2 of them. The KP's processing capability for high quality JPEGs right out of the camera is outstanding. Just be sure to go into the Custom Image menus to set up "Fine Sharpening" especially in the most often used "Bright" category, by using your rear thumb dial.

I've been shooting with the KP for over 2 years and I am delighted with it. Great imaging, and I can configure it to meet my carrying needs and with the lens I will be using. If you sometimes use large lenses, and/or shoot events where changing to a fresh battery at a bad moment could cause unwanted interruption, getting the battery grip is a good idea. I don't use it often, but when needed it is very nice to have.

I too have had a number of Pentax DSLR models since 2006, and have rarely had any problems. I still use my K-5 IIs sometimes, for instance when I want to use a power-zoom lens I have. Still a good camera, and I have not had a mirror flop issue. And because I got a great deal on a closeout price, I got the K-S2 when the K-70 came out as my lightweight small secondary camera, giving away my old K-r. It is amazing for the price I paid. But the KP is by far the best performer over my other APS-C cameras. More recently, I bought the excellent K-1 II instead of the new K-3 III because I already have some outstanding FF lenses and wanted to get into the FF experience. And I like the features it has, some being similar to the KP. Its image quality and its high-ISO performance are outstanding. I enjoy it when I do not mind its size and weight, and use it with moderate lens sizes. But for most of my needs, for easier carrying with extremely fine image quality and great low light results, the KP remains my most often-used camera. Also when I will be doing telephoto work.

The KP is indeed a very fine, beautifully-made camera. Congratulations, enjoy its fine performance and features!

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-02-2021 at 01:15 PM.
06-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats! I love my two KPs.
06-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
congratulations on your acquisition of the K P

if you don't already have it, I recommend you consider getting the Ebook for it -

I have the K5 and K1 Ebook, definitely I'll look into the KP as well.

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Forgot to mention … assuming the new camera doesn't have the latest firmware, the recent update (v1.30) does seem to improve the a/f performance, especially when tracking a moving subject.
Weird how they released a firmware update at almost the same time as the camera appeared to have been withdrawn!
Nevertheless, worth the effort
Actually the 1st thing I do after receive the camera is to check the firmware (its 1.30) and reset to the factory setting, I think this can avoid to find some surprise later on .

Thanks everyone, I'll sure I'll enjoy this small DSLR as all my previous one.
06-03-2021, 12:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I never bought the KP, but everythingI know about it impresses me. Sounds like a great choice. Enjoy!
06-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Congrats for acquiring a fine piece of kit!

The KP has become my dream and now it has been discontinued. Kinda sad, but a lightly used one will serve me well. I am waiting for prices to drop but so far it hasn't happened yet.