Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP acting weird with new lens

I am having an issue with my KP with the new lens (Pentax 150-450). I am thinking it needs a new battery but not sure. It randomly just shuts down from time to time while using it. Sometimes it happens when I am taking a picture, or zooming in or out and sometimes when I am just walking around with it on. I have also had it stay on for an entire hike while not shutting down. I have 2 batteries for it, one is 11yrs old and the other came with the KP when I got it a few months ago. The KP only had an 85 shutter count on it so I assume that battery wasn't heavily used. Once it shuts down, I have to remove the battery and put it back in to even be able to turn it on. Any thoughts?

06-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you had any issues using other lenses? I would certainly try cleaning the contacts on both the camera and lens mounts with a microfibre cloth and a touch of alcohol. The Pentax batteries do have dates on them so you can see how new it actually is, it may not be the battery that originally shipped with the KP. I actually have a 2012 battery that outlasts a 2017 battery. Does it operate OK after putting a new battery in? Does the battery work if you remove it and put it back in? How long has it been on when it shuts down?
06-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
I am having an issue with my KP with the new lens (Pentax 150-450). I am thinking it needs a new battery but not sure. It randomly just shuts down from time to time while using it. Sometimes it happens when I am taking a picture, or zooming in or out and sometimes when I am just walking around with it on. I have also had it stay on for an entire hike while not shutting down. I have 2 batteries for it, one is 11yrs old and the other came with the KP when I got it a few months ago. The KP only had an 85 shutter count on it so I assume that battery wasn't heavily used. Once it shuts down, I have to remove the battery and put it back in to even be able to turn it on. Any thoughts?
Every now and then that would happen to me with a partially charged battery (different lens). Since the latest firmware update I haven’t seen it but it could be just dumb luck.
06-07-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No issues with any other lenses that I have. I'll check the dates. The battery works after I remove it and put it back in but for only for a few shots. It really varies because I can pull the battery out and put it back in and take like 100 shots before it shuts down or I can pull it out and place it back in and it shuts down after 1 shot or even no shots. I've swapped it with a "fully" charged battery and had the same thing happen for alittle while, then work perfectly for the rest of my hike...I have had it shut down not long after I first turned it on. I was assuming the new lens might require more power than the older battery is capable of??

---------- Post added 06-07-21 at 03:21 PM ----------

I did the latest firmware update for my KP when it came out not to long ago.

06-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd buy a new battery, or two.
Two batteries for a KP are really not "enough", especially when one is 11 years old and the other is of "unknown" history . JMHO.
You might consider a new charger also.

At least one of 4 or 5 batteries used in my KP will go from 3/4 "green" to too low to function rather quickly; I must pay a little more attention to which one and decide if it is a "weak" battery, or
just from self discharge while waiting for the next outing or has been in rotation after charging for a while.

I never go out with the KP without at least 2 fresh charged batteries, in addition to the one in the body already. For whatever reason the KP "uses" juice faster than my other Pentax bodies; due to the smaller battery driving more electronics I suppose.
06-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

An eleven years old battery may have seen a lot of use in its life. Whereas the other that came with the KP has seen too little. Both can malfunction because of how it was used. Do not know how old the KP and its battery is, and which of the batteries shows the most problems. I seem to remember that I read of this behaviour before with the 150-450, thought on this forum, but I am not sure. Cleaning contacts may help, but also cleaning of the contacts on the battery and, if possible, inside the camera. And of course, a new battery might help as well. I have this problem with a K-7 and even a new battery did not solve the problem. Only here it has to do with LV turned on in combination with the flash activated, though not exposing yet.
By the way, did you happen to see if on the LCD there is a message about the state of the battery? Mine says battery empty, even if it just has been charged (which does not mean that much, but makes no difference if it is the new or the old one). But the moment I turn the camera on the battery seems full according to the indication on the LCD.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 06-07-2021 at 01:12 PM. Reason: adding a new line (by the way)
06-07-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has been often discussed here, but some third-party batteries from certain Asian countries that start with C are way below the quality of real Pentax batteries. They can have a milliamp-hour capacity rating that may look OK, but in reality it's very 'optimistic'. Some simply don't store as much charge as Pentax batteries, and may not survive as many charge/discharge cycles. Some third party brands perform better than others, and I can't render an opinion on all of them. But I do know that of the two batteries that came with my used KP, one genuine Pentax and one not, the off-brand seems to hold about half as much charge as the Pentax. It may be older and/or used more. I just know there is a big difference between the two. I've decided that when it comes time to buy a new battery I'm going to bite the bullet and get the expensive Pentax battery. Just my opinion.

06-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Only 85 shutter counts on a used KP seems odd to me. But strange things happen, maybe the original owner died, became disabled, or came into a bad financial situation- but it is very unusual. Yet, if only this one lens causes a problem, it is obviously a lens issue. What other lenses do you own? Are they screw driven types, or do you have any others that also have their own AF motors? If so and they are causing no issues, and since the problematic Pentax 150-450mm is a new lens, I would return it for a replacement.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-07-2021 at 07:18 PM.
06-07-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is my old battery.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N986U  Photo 
06-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is the battery that came with the camera.

---------- Post added 06-07-21 at 11:03 PM ----------

The 2 lenses I've only used with the KP have been my sigma 70 - 300 and smc pentax da 1:2.8 40mm. Never any issues using these lenses with my old battery. Could easily get 400 to 500 shots (jpg only) with my old battery.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N986U  Photo 
06-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
This is the battery that came with the camera.

---------- Post added 06-07-21 at 11:03 PM ----------

The 2 lenses I've only used with the KP have been my sigma 70 - 300 and smc pentax da 1:2.8 40mm. Never any issues using these lenses with my old battery. Could easily get 400 to 500 shots (jpg only) with my old battery.
Then you own one of the last produced KP's. So 85 actuations is very plausible, as it is probably produced in October 2020. I have a KP from that date with a battery with the same production month of 2020. I guess or think that the fault lies with the lens, although both lenses you mentioned are screw drive lenses.
06-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll try cleaning the contacts on the lens and see what that does. I'll also reach out to bh and let them know
06-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The screw-driven lens technology is different than the in-lens motor types. I seem to remember rare camera AF problems only with in-lens types, where the screw-driven worked fine. But I am not technically knowledgeable, so the member that are might have insight enough to suggest a theoretical possibility of this problem. One thing that is glaringly missing from your kit is a lens with any wide angle capability, or even a normal view. You essentially have a telephoto system only. I highly recommend getting the very fine and very useful Pentax DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 DC WR lens. it would be a good matchup with the DFA 150-450mm, and being compact yet well made, it would not add much carrying weight.

This lens would provide great usefulness for general photography, with its range of wide angle-to-medium telephoto without having to change lenses. Then for long telephoto you'd have your 150-450mm. At the same time, you can find out for sure if your new 150-450mm is defective. I notice that B&H has this lens now at a special price of $400, which is $80 off the regular price. Both lenses use a DC motor drive.

To preview what the DA 18-135mm is capable of, check out the SLR lens section thread- "DA 18-135mm WR Shows what it can do" starting with the last page (most recent postings) and go backwards. You will find how capable this lens is- it can even do very good closeups, and its price is very reasonable. With Canon or Nikon to get a lens having WR construction you'd be shopping in the $1,000 + range, and the same for a WR camera body.

Then if you have the same AF problem with both of these DC driven lenses, you'll know for sure it is the camera (I hope not) and you will know what steps you must take. Upon inquiring as to the DA 18-135mm, B&H can be advised as to what is going on with your current problem, and verifying against the new DA 18-135mm.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-08-2021 at 03:54 PM.
06-08-2021, 04:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 18 - 135 is on my list of lenses to get. I don't do much close up shooting so that's why I lean towards telephoto. I also want to get the 55-300 plm.

So it'll be hard to see from the photo I think but do these contacts look OK? The contact 3rd over from the left looks lower than the others.

---------- Post added 06-08-21 at 08:26 PM ----------

Interesting....now I can't take any pictures....It will take a picture but it doesnt any sound and the picture is black. In liveview the screen in black as well (yes, the lens cap is off). This is with any of my lenses so the camera is the issue. I used a lens cleaning tissue to clean the contacts on the camera figuring it wouldnt be bad for it but maybe it was.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N986U  Photo 
06-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would advise do a reset to factory default settings of all parameters. Hopefully someone did not sell you a damaged camera. That is one important disadvantage of buying used cameras- one never knows what the camera has been through. But if it worked fine for several months, it is strange to see it starting to malfunction after using the new lens.