Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2021, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my converted K3 II today. It took Spencer's almost three weeks including July 4th. They said two and a half weeks. They even sent a little red plastic tag, in the shape of their logo with the word "INFRARED" embossed on it to be installed on my neck strap. The problem was they sent the finished camera by USPS two day Priority Express and it took SEVEN days to arrive!

The camera looks as new. Most of the function as seem to work. I've tried a few test photos and to my eye the filter appears to be 720nm as I ordered. I'll finish the testing soon and compare it against my infrared light meter (which I think is about 665nm). I needed to set my exposure comp to -1.3 this afternoon and that seems about right.

My K10D IR has given me 14 good years of service. It now heads to a well earned retirement.
Now I get to see the difference between a CCD and CMOS IR camera.

07-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got my K-01 from Spencer's last week. It appears there are several large dirt particles on the sensor. I've tried cleaning it but they're still there. I've asked them about if maybe some dirt got in there when they were replacing the IR filter but haven't heard a word from them. Shipping was fine, took three days as predicted.The had mine for about three weeks as well.
07-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
I got my K-01 from Spencer's last week. It appears there are several large dirt particles on the sensor. I've tried cleaning it but they're still there. I've asked them about if maybe some dirt got in there when they were replacing the IR filter but haven't heard a word from them. Shipping was fine, took three days as predicted.The had mine for about three weeks as well.
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Sounds like it is time for a phone call. They need to make it right. I was in a great mood until I read your post.
07-19-2021, 11:54 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I got my converted K3 II today. It took Spencer's almost three weeks including July 4th. They said two and a half weeks. They even sent a little red plastic tag, in the shape of their logo with the word "INFRARED" embossed on it to be installed on my neck strap. The problem was they sent the finished camera by USPS two day Priority Express and it took SEVEN days to arrive!

The camera looks as new. Most of the function as seem to work. I've tried a few test photos and to my eye the filter appears to be 720nm as I ordered. I'll finish the testing soon and compare it against my infrared light meter (which I think is about 665nm). I needed to set my exposure comp to -1.3 this afternoon and that seems about right.
My K-3II was done by Kolari Vision to full spectrum. Indeed all functions are still working as well on mine, except DR (as documented on the Kolari Vision website), so any sensor cleaning is to be done manually like in the old pre-DR days.

07-20-2021, 05:33 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agree with @lmd91343, you need to call them. Hopefully everything will work out.
07-20-2021, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I called them and have emailed them. Waiting to hear back from them.
07-20-2021, 07:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I called them and have emailed them. Waiting to hear back from them.
If cleaning yourself didn't work, it could be some dust got in between the sensor and the filter they installed. They should take your camera back and redo the conversion properly in that case.

07-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Finally managed to think of calling Spencer’s during a time when they’re open. (Usually think of it first thing in the morning, but they don’t open until 11 my time.) They have failed to reply to two emails from me inquiring about the status of my K-50. Guy on the phone seemed pretty knowledgeable when he looked up my order, however. Said that the Pentax calibration software was giving them some issues but that it was resolved and should ship today. Hopefully I have a tracking number tomorrow.
07-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm getting very frustrated with Spencer's. I've emailed several times about dirt that came back on the sensor after a full spectrum conversion and a weird cyan cast with no response. Finally got someone to answer the phone last week and he said he'd look into the issue (I sent photos with the artifacts clearly visible) and get back with me and send a shipping label to send it back to have it looked at. Nothing so far. I ended up driving an hour to a camera shop and paid to have the sensor cleaned but still having problems with the color cast. I've tried different lenses and filters (590-850nm) and still get the colors. White balance is good.
07-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hm, after all this I think is better to stick with Life Pixel and Kolarivision. 😏
07-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Hm, after all this I think is better to stick with Life Pixel and Kolarivision. 😏
LifePixel will only convert a K-01, so they're not much of an option.
07-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
LifePixel will only convert a K-01, so they're not much of an option.
They originally told me they wouldn't do a K-01 otherwise I would have used them in the first place.
07-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #43
Veteran Member

They originally told me they wouldn't do a K-01 otherwise I would have used them in the first place.
Interesting, as their website only lists Pentax mirrorless conversions: Pentax Mirrorless Infrared Conversion - Infrared Conversions, IR Modifications & Photography Tutorials | Life Pixel IR
07-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Exactly. I pointed out the URL but they said they didn't do any longer.
07-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Exactly. I pointed out the URL but they said they didn't do any longer.
Seems like if they were organized, they would have had the good sense to take it down from their list of offerings after someone asked about it, but apparently not.