Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2021, 11:40 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-3 III: Catch-In Focus

Hey all!

I frequently use Catch-In Focus when using my vintage lenses and I especially use it a lot when doing macro photography with extension tubes without auto couplers!
We enjoy so much on our Pentax dSLRs that we made a quick tutorial video on how to use the feature:

Let us know what you think!

06-12-2021, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely presented and informative!
06-12-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Like the down to earth presentation of one of the best features of the Pentaxes! No embellishments or the presenter taking the center stage as often happens. Great!
06-12-2021, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really good. There was one stage I kept missing on my K3. It didn't help though as I am trying to get it working with M42 lenses and I believe you need to short out the contacts. Any phrase with the words "short out!" Is way too scary for me

06-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
No embellishments or the presenter taking the center stage as often happens.
This is our intent entirely, thank you for that recognition
06-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am currently rocking a takumar macro. I had to foil my mount to get it to work but once it does, catch in focus is superb! Anyone thinking of trying this, watch Fozz's brilliantly clear video
06-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am currently rocking a takumar macro. I had to foil my mount to get it to work but once it does, catch in focus is superb! Anyone thinking of trying this, watch Fozz's brilliantly clear video
I have a thin (Fotodiox Pro) flanged adapter with a little strategic sanding to address this issue. Works like a charm with any M42 lens where infinity focus is not essential.

Steve

06-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have a thin (Fotodiox Pro) flanged adapter with a little strategic sanding to address this issue. Works like a charm with any M42 lens where infinity focus is not essential.

Steve
As I am doing a sic I need the full range. One question though, does the flanged adapter give you a slight improvement in macro, like a very very small extension tube?
06-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
One question though, does the flanged adapter give you a slight improvement in macro, like a very very small extension tube?
Yes, as much as about 0.75mm might provide.

Steve
06-17-2021, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, as much as about 0.75mm might provide.

Steve
Don't knock it, that's a caterpillars eyelash that is!
05-11-2022, 12:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I was hoping to use Catch-in focus to trigger the camera if the subject is present (moving cars), because I had poor success with AF-C tracking with the K1. But Catch-in focus turns out to be only as quick to react as the auto-focus tracking system itself, failing to trigger when the moving subject is in focus, most of the time, so practically useless as substitute for focus tracking. The good old method of manually pre-focusing / zone focusing and firing a quick AF-S burst is far superior with the K1. I see no advantage of Catch-in focus , compared to zone focusing / pre-focus + low priority tracking burst. e.g pre-focusing the lens and setting AF in AF-C mode with FPS priority.
05-11-2022, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I was hoping to use Catch-in focus to trigger the camera if the subject is present (moving cars), because I had poor success with AF-C tracking with the K1. But Catch-in focus turns out to be only as quick to react as the auto-focus tracking system itself, failing to trigger when the moving subject is in focus, most of the time, so practically useless as substitute for focus tracking. The good old method of manually pre-focusing / zone focusing and firing a quick AF-S burst is far superior with the K1. I see no advantage of Catch-in focus , compared to zone focusing / pre-focus + low priority tracking burst. e.g pre-focusing the lens and setting AF in AF-C mode with FPS priority.
I shoot plenty of action with manual lenses and catch in focus definitely has its uses, but it's not the best tool for everu situation. When you know exactly where you want the shot to be taken, then it is indeed better to prefocus and shoot burst as target goes thru. K1 is bit slow for this and you may miss the best moment, but K3III should give plenty of frames to choose from.

M50 & K1ii prefocused:

But if your target move in unpredictable path and it's hard to predict best action, it's better to keep following target with catch in focus and let camera take a shot whenever target is in focus.

M*300 & K1ii:

Tak 200/3.5 & K1ii:

Action shooting is a lot of spread and pray anyway as there are so many elements that need to be perfect at the same time. Even100 frames to get one good shot ain't overkill thought thought usually I keep a little more than that 1%