Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2021, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How about I just send you an image and you can grab what you need from it?
OK, that's probably a quick and easy way out of this.
Can you put a normal DNG raw image on a cloud location, such as Dropbox or Google drive, and send me the link?

Thanks for trying with the exiftool, and for providing an image.

When we reckon we have it all sorted, I'll probably be asking for a PS image from a KP and a K-1 II, for testing, but not sure how long that will be.
I can say that it looks like K-3 Mark III PS images are being handled OK, but a bit more testing to come.

Cheers,
Terry

---------- Post added 06-13-21 at 10:43 PM ----------

I've downloaded it a second time and this time I have a .exe file that does nothing but bring up a little black screen like a MsDOS screen. I can drag and drop an image onto the .exe file and that lists stuff in that little MsDOS type window but I have no idea how to save from there. There's no ability to select, copy and paste or save or export.

Sorry, it's all beyond my (normally OK) computer abilities.
What a bugger!
Sounds like the Windows version is a bit less friendly than how it is working here on linux.
Thanks for trying, I know how exasperating these things can be when they don't behave.

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 06-13-2021 at 10:55 PM.
06-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I can setup a download link for some DNGs from the KP no problem. I'll do that shortly.
06-14-2021, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark, Google ExifTool Gui. There is a GUI that installs over exiftool and makes it easier to use than the command line version alone. Or download Picture Information Extractor/ PIE from here Free Downloads | Picmeta Systems. It will show you the complete exif also.
06-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #19

As I recall it unzips to a file exiftool(-k).exe

Just drag and drop a PEF on it and up pops a text window. Right click on the icon on the top left of the window. Pick "Edit"-->"Select All", press enter and the text is copied to the clipboard and can be pasted into a TXT file or whatever.

06-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

PM'd a download link for some KP DNGs...
06-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As I recall it unzips to a file exiftool(-k).exe

Just drag and drop a PEF on it and up pops a text window. Right click on the icon on the top left of the window. Pick "Edit"-->"Select All", press enter and the text is copied to the clipboard and can be pasted into a TXT file or whatever.
No, there's no "Edit" or "Select All". It's, quite frankly, the most primitive "software" I've seen since 1982 when I first started fiddling with computers.

This is all I see. I'll create a dropbox link for the OP and he can use one or more of my DNG files.

Edit: Will add .txt file below.
Attached Images

Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-14-2021 at 02:37 PM.
06-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Mark, Google ExifTool Gui. There is a GUI that installs over exiftool and makes it easier to use than the command line version alone. Or download Picture Information Extractor/ PIE from here Free Downloads | Picmeta Systems. It will show you the complete exif also.
Thanks Mike. That was useful. I've extracted the EXIF data to a .txt file.

06-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a K-1ii Exifdata file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt K1II2643.txt (35.8 KB, 44 views)
06-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
PM'd a download link for some KP DNGs...
I have those, thanks.

Cheers,
Terry

---------- Post added 06-14-21 at 03:36 PM ----------

Here's a K-1ii Exifdata file.
It was a bit of a struggle, but you finally got there :-)
Many thanks.

Cheers,
Terry
06-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I have those, thanks.

Cheers,
Terry

---------- Post added 06-14-21 at 03:36 PM ----------

It was a bit of a struggle, but you finally got there :-)
Many thanks.

Cheers,
Terry
Yeah, finally. Certainly the worst software experience I've had in a while!
06-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #26
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I have to jump in here.

ExifTool acts the same on Mac (don't know if M1 based devices will work), Linux and Windows. It is at its core a command line tool that runs the same on all the mentioned platforms.

Open a Terminal (Mac/Linux) or CMD (or Windows Terminal - please just look it up, it is in the store) windows.

To extract information from a file use the following:

ExifTool -G image-file-name

You will get the Exif information on the screen. The next step is to pipe it to a text file and on Windows
ExifTool -G image-file-name > textfile.txt

Yes, it is that simple. The -G switch will provide information on WHERE the Exif tags come from. ExifTool switches are case sensitive so if you want to know what those switches are/mean type in the following (on Windows) ExifTool | more
Yes, that is a vertical bar, your mileage will vary on Mac/Linux. Also in Mac/Linux the NAME of the program ExifTool or Exiftool or exiftool is case sensitive, you have been warned.
06-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Progress has been better than I had expected, thanks to the files that have been kindly provided.
The only outstanding test to be done is with a K-1 II PS file, which I'm expecting to behave exactly like a PS from the K-1, but it still needs to be tested.
If any one has a PS file from a K-1 II that they would like to contribute, could you please put it on cloud storage somewhere (e.g. Dropbox or Google drive etc), and send me the link?

Cheers,
Terry
06-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #28

No, there's no "Edit" or "Select All". It's, quite frankly, the most primitive "software" I've seen since 1982 when I first started fiddling with computers.
Eh? That feature has been there since Windows 95. See screen caps below. Click or right-click on the icon indicated by the red arrow.

Even easier press ctrl-a to select all and press enter to put it in the clipboard.

Then of course you could run exiftool from a command window and use re-direction to t text file. Navigate to the folder where exiftool is. Open a command windows there. Type:

exiftool(-k) path\your.pef > myexif.txt

and press enter. Output will be redirected to the file myexif.txt. This function has been around since DOS days.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-15-2021 at 08:18 AM.
06-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eh? That feature has been there since Windows 95. See screen caps below. Click or right-click on the icon indicated by the red arrow.

Even easier press ctrl-a to select all and press enter to put it in the clipboard.

Then of course you could run exiftool from a command window and use re-direction to t text file. Navigate to the folder where exiftool is. Open a command windows there. Type:

and press enter. Output will be redirected to the file myexif.txt. This function has been around since DOS days.
Thanks for that. I did not know that. But then, since Windows 95, with any software I've used, I've not needed to do something like that.
Thanks again. You learn something new every day.
06-15-2021, 10:56 PM   #30
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Do all of you have me on your ignore list? Didn't I write this in message #26?

By the way, the (-k) in the name is unnecessary, if you use ExifToolGUI the (-k) will not work. (Yeah - I know all too well the Issues with ExifToolGUI but it does work if you just do the minimum of looking into.