Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Request for exif data from K-1 II and KP

Hello All,
I'm currently working with the original author of dcrawps (the modified version of David Coffins dcraw code that does the conversion of a pixelshift raw file) to enable it to work with K-3 Mark III pixelshift files, and that is going well, just a bit more testing required, I think.
While we are at it, it seems appropriate to also include the other Pentax cameras that do pixelshift, but are not yet managed by the code.
To include the K-1 II and KP, we need specific data for those cameras, and this is provided within the exif metadata of an image.
Any owners of K-1 II and KP that would like to help can do so by providing the output of exiftool for a DNG image.
Save the exif data as a text file and either attach it to a response to this post (the file should only be around 30 kB) or send me a personal message with the file.

Thanks in anticipation of your help with this project.

Cheers,
Terry

06-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I PM'd you some data for a KP image. It is a non-PS image. If you need a pixel-shifted one, let me know but it was too large to send in the PM. (Give me an email address in that case.)
06-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there any other constraint? I have a KP and I’m happy to help.
06-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is there any other constraint? I have a KP and I’m happy to help.
I don't think there is any other constraint...all the camera data we need is in the exif and iv'e been using exiftool to produce that and it works OK.
Late thought...A full resolution image is needed, not a crop.

Cheers,
Terry

---------- Post added 06-12-21 at 06:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I PM'd you some data for a KP image. It is a non-PS image. If you need a pixel-shifted one, let me know but it was too large to send in the PM. (Give me an email address in that case.)
Thanks for your pm.
Were you not able to attach the exif data as a text file? That's not really a problem, just a bit more fiddly to save at this end.
I note the exif says "reduced resolution image"...is that a crop in camera, if not what does it mean? I've not seen that before, or at least not noticed it in the data or as a raw setting.

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 06-12-2021 at 06:27 PM.
06-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Thanks for your pm.
Were you not able to attach the exif data as a text file? That's not really a problem, just a bit more fiddly to save at this end.
I note the exif says "reduced resolution image"...is that a crop in camera, if not what does it mean? I've not seen that before, or at least not noticed it in the data or as a raw setting.
Don't see anything about attachments in PMs, and I think my forum "attachment space" is maxed out anyway. (If you want me to email something to you directly, just lemme know -- I can even get you an actual DNG if that's helpful.) The reduced resolution image is for the embedded jpg thumbnail I think, you'll notice a little farther down it also says "full-resolution image" and that's what most of the data is for.
06-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you only need EXIF information like this, not the picture?
Attached Files
File Type: txt KP_EXIF.txt (33.8 KB, 68 views)
06-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Don't see anything about attachments in PMs, and I think my forum "attachment space" is maxed out anyway. (If you want me to email something to you directly, just lemme know -- I can even get you an actual DNG if that's helpful.) The reduced resolution image is for the embedded jpg thumbnail I think, you'll notice a little farther down it also says "full-resolution image" and that's what most of the data is for.
OK, a case of domestic blindness on my part, thanks for point that out to me.
I have your exif thanks. It may be a little while before we have the KP and K-1 II PS capability built in and tested, but will let you know when it is all done.

Cheers,
Terry

---------- Post added 06-12-21 at 09:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Do you only need EXIF information like this, not the picture?
Yes, at this stage exif is all we need. Thanks for providing that.

Cheers,
Terry

06-13-2021, 05:35 AM   #8

You could always share a google drive folder. People can PM you for the link to the shared folder and they up upload the TXT file there.
06-13-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Attaching the exif as a text file to a post here is probably the simplest way to do it.
I now have two KP exif files, so no more of those needed.
As yet no K-1 II exifs, so anyone who has a K-1 II and has a PS shot or willing to take one, I'd really appreciate you providing a copy of the exif .

Cheers,
Terry
06-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would love to help you but I cannot figure out how to install exiftool.
06-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I would love to help you but I cannot figure out how to install exiftool.
I assume you have read the story at <https://exiftool.org/install.html>.
I don't think it needs to be 'installed'.
Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Terry
06-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I assume you have read the story at <https://exiftool.org/install.html>.
I don't think it needs to be 'installed'.
Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Terry
Yup, I read that and downloaded it. It ended up giving me a whole heap of stuff in a strange zip file, none of which was a .exe file, even when unzipped.
I gave up at that point.
06-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yup, I read that and downloaded it. It ended up giving me a whole heap of stuff in a strange zip file, none of which was a .exe file, even when unzipped.
I gave up at that point.
OK, that's not too good.
If you have Perl, it seems you don't need a Windows executable, but that may another can of worms.
Do you have any other tools to view exif data?
If yes, that may provide what we need.

Cheers,
Terry
06-13-2021, 09:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about I just send you an image and you can grab what you need from it?
06-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, that's not too good.
If you have Perl, it seems you don't need a Windows executable, but that may another can of worms.
Do you have any other tools to view exif data?
If yes, that may provide what we need.

Cheers,
Terry
I've downloaded it a second time and this time I have a .exe file that does nothing but bring up a little black screen like a MsDOS screen. I can drag and drop an image onto the .exe file and that lists stuff in that little MsDOS type window but I have no idea how to save from there. There's no ability to select, copy and paste or save or export.

Sorry, it's all beyond my (normally OK) computer abilities.