Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

PC control for istDS

I have an istDS. A while back I downloaded the PC control software for the istD to see if it would work with the DS and it did work *partially*. I could control the shutter and get the image files to download directly to my PC. However, I could not control shutter speed, aperature, iso, whitebalance, etc. I also could not get the downloaded image to display automatically after it was downloaded. The program would also hang sporadically which pretty much makes it useless to me.

Is anybody aware of any other software package out there that can be used to control an istDS? I would find it extremely useful when doing formal portrait sessions. The 2" LCD panel is a poor substitute for a computer monitor when it comes to assuring that the photo just taken was properly focused and exposed.

03-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
The istD software I am refrerring to above is called Pentax Remote Assistant. It is available here:

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

Description:

Pentax is pleased to announce the release of the Pentax Remote Assistant for the *istD digital camera. The Remote Assistant allows you to use your computer to control functions on your *istD camera, while it is connected via USB cable. While having many standard camera functions and direct download capabilities under your control on the computer, the Pentax Remote Assistant also offers some "extended functions" as follows:

Interval Mode / Timer Mode

Extended Auto-Bracketing Mode
03-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
awjweb,

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, the software is unique to the *istD and I hope it doesn't stay that way forever.
03-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #4

Tethered shooting usually means the camera is operated by the photographer, and someone sits at the computer and evaluates or processes the images.

I just did a job like that, the photographer was using a Sigma something-or-other tethered to a laptop. My part was to pick the best frame and send it to one of the two Kodak 8500 dye-sub printers.

It was one of those "get 'em through fast" jobs, just a corporate meeting with couples photos. I don't count it as the highest form of photography, but it was profitable and quick. I suppose there's a place for everything!

I'd rather do my own work in the studio, and evaluate the exposures after. Sometimes a client likes to see each shot as it's produced, which I don't like. I prefer to do a shoot and send the client the files to choose from.