Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #1

Cleaning K200D

So my brother found me a Pentax K200D, on what I assume was his craigslist up in New Hampshire for $20, said the body didn't work. He cleaned up the battery compartment and put some fresh batteries in it and it works fine but I feel like it needs a thorough cleaning and I can then give it to my dad to use. I personally have a K5ii for myself. I had hoped the lenses would have worked at least in my K5ii but alas they do not so I figured to clean this one and let my dad use it for when he travels, better than his ancient old PnS he has.
Is there somewhere I can send it for cleaning? I may take it outside tomorrow morning and use my horses as photo test subjects see how messy it is by comparison to the K5ii. I know they are leagues apart in terms of outdated but for $20 to take a chance on the lenses, it wasn't a bad gamble.

06-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a good find. What kind of cleaning are you thinking it needs?

I still enjoy my K200D, outdated doesn't have to mean bad.
06-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonezime Quote
What kind of cleaning are you thinking it needs?
Good question! Unless it is actually filthy (covered with dirt/grime/oil/...) there's not much to clean (for other than esthetic reasons). If there is stuff on the sensor, then yes - you should get that off.
06-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AyaSora Quote
I had hoped the lenses would have worked
What lenses? If they worked on the K200D, they will work on your K5. A lot of folks, myself included, appreciate the colors of the old CCD sensors. You could also try taking some shots of the sky while stopped down to f/11 or so to see if there is any dust or pollen on the sensor. Good luck.

06-18-2021, 08:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
" I had hoped the lenses would have worked at least in my K5ii but alas they do not "

What lenses do not "work", most should - what don't they do?
06-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with the others, any lenses working on the K200D should work on the K5-II. We need to know what they are, what is their problem exactly (focusing, shutter not firing) and their physical condition.

If those lenses got aperture rings, make sure to put them in the A position, or enable "Use aperture ring" on your K5-II body in the settings.
06-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K200D is quite desirable as one of the last ccd sensor dslr cameras. The iso performance will lag behind the k-5ii but the resolution is more than adequate and the color rendition is very good.

As others said, if the lenses work on the k200d, they should work on the k-5ii. Curious.

06-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote

If those lenses got aperture rings, make sure to put them in the A position, or enable "Use aperture ring" on your K5-II body in the settings.
I think that was the issue, it wasn't on "A" It seems to be working fine now.

I've just been cleaning the camera. It just physically looks dirty. And need to figure out the lens size to put a filter on the end. bigger than the 55's I have for my K1000 lenses or the 52's I have for my K5, is there a 57 or 59? Hmm. Time to do some research. the battery compartment def needs a good cleaning. That's how it was sold as non working because there was some battery corrosion. It has the User manual & camera bag with it. $20 was def a deal I think for it. it has a Pentax 28-80 (1:3.5-5.6) lens on it but it's not what would have came with it- the body is all black but this lens is not. That's fine with me though I have my 18-55MM Kit lens as well, it was the Quantaray 70(1:4-5.6) that I was after, once I put it on "A" the K5 took it just fine. I need to get outside with it and just start playing with the lenses and the other camera. I guess in the end I will likely send this one off with my dad to use over his ancient PnS when he goes out West (we are in KY, but he was born in Idaho and longs to go visit again). My brother, who picked it up said he thinks the guy just used the excuse of it not working(Despite not even trying to clean it) to get a new camera. He said the guy had a nice brand new Nikon sitting there. I've always been partial to Pentax cameras since my first ever camera was a 35MM Pentax PnS which I still have and is still in great condition.

---------- Post added 06-19-21 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
What lenses? If they worked on the K200D, they will work on your K5. A lot of folks, myself included, appreciate the colors of the old CCD sensors. You could also try taking some shots of the sky while stopped down to f/11 or so to see if there is any dust or pollen on the sensor. Good luck.
How would you clean it if there is dust/pollen on the sensor? It's not raining yet so I am picking up some batteries shortly and will get it outside.
Attached Images

06-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a rocket blower and a sensor loupe to see if I've gotten all the dust, something like this: Carson Camera Sensor Magnifier

If the rocket blower can't dislodge something I use a sensor swab or pen. I haven't needed that in a while though, usually the blower does the job. The loupe makes the whole thing go a lot faster, since I can aim at the right spot and quickly tell whether it worked.

The common next step up from a 55mm filter thread size is 58mm.
06-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think that was the issue, it wasn't on "A" It seems to be working fine now.
Good to hear.

And need to figure out the lens size to put a filter on the end. bigger than the 55's I have for my K1000 lenses or the 52's I have for my K5, is there a 57 or 59? Hmm.
Above 55mm common filter size are 58mm (native filter size for 18-50 and 55-300 PLM), and 62mm (native filter size for 18-250, 18-135, 70-300...).

You can use a larger filter on a lens needing a smaller one thanks to a step-up filter, but you won't be able to mount neither lens cap nor hood.

Reverse is, in theory, possible (with step-down filters), but it will probably result in strong vignetting or defects at corners.

has the User manual & camera bag with it. $20 was def a deal I think for it.
Agreed, a very good deal!

it has a Pentax 28-80 (1:3.5-5.6) lens on it but it's not what would have came with it- the body is all black but this lens is not.
The lens kit for the K200D was the 18-55 II (I think), much more recent than the film, full frame 28-80, so yes, you are right. The 28-80 you have must be this one: SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database a honest, but not stellar lens.

How would you clean it if there is dust/pollen on the sensor? It's not raining yet so I am picking up some batteries shortly and will get it outside.
Buy dedicated sensor cleaning swabs, sized for APS-C sensor. You can use them to "paint" on the sensor and gather dust. A specialized magnifying glass for sensor (€20) is helpful, but not mandatory.
06-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A 28-80mm is a lens designed for a 35mm film SLR or a FF DSLR camera. It will provide a good wide angle to moderate telephoto when used on these cameras. But it will provide no wide angle when used on APS-C DSLR cameras like the K200D or K-5 II. On top of that, the quality of these lenses, though adequate, is not worth the effort to acquire them for your use. Which lenses have you been using with your K-5 II?
06-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
not worth the effort to acquire them for your use.
I think these were to be given to his father as a starter lens kit. They should be perfectly fine for that use, imo.
06-19-2021, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The OP seemed interested in using these lenses on his K-5 II as a reason for acquiring the ensemble. As to a travel kit for Dad, for travel or any other all-around use, better to include some wide angle capability. The K200D was the first ever entry-level DSLR to include weather-resistant (WR) construction. So my thought is to obtain a good all-around zoom lens having both wide angle and moderate telephoto capability with good image quality and WR construction. A WR camera body is not actively WR unless using a WR lens.

After the incredibly low price paid for this quite good camera, obtaining a good WR lens for it makes sense to me. At the very least a good used DA 18-55mm WR lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-20-2021 at 12:55 AM.
06-20-2021, 03:43 AM   #14

Original Poster
Yes Mikesbike- that's likely what I am going to do. I only have an 18-55 Kit lens and a Pentax DA 1:4-5.6 50-200MM lens for my K-5 II. Original intent had been to buy the camera for the lenses for the K-5 II($20 why not?) but after making the K200D work I couldn't see any reason to not actually use it as a camera and let him have it. Been out with the K200D yesterday and tried the telephoto lens with the K-5 II and I just like my current lenses over them so Going to try and find another 18-55 kit lens to send with him.

It still will need to be cleaned before he gets it. Ordering some of the items mentioned to clean the sensor so it doesn't give him any problems. I personally have been out of photography for a couple years due to work hours and this gave me the nudge to get everything back out (get back here) and start taking them out to enjoy shooting again. I even have some film in my film camera bag that I could use too; I have 2 -K1000's that I can take out. I have a Pentax loyalty addiction. So overall $20(So far) well spent. Now to order the stuff to help clean the sensor and keep that in my camera bag. And happy photo hunting time!
06-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes Mikesbike- that's likely what I am going to do. I only have an 18-55 Kit lens and a Pentax DA 1:4-5.6 50-200MM lens for my K-5 II. Original intent had been to buy the camera for the lenses for the K-5 II($20 why not?) but after making the K200D work I couldn't see any reason to not actually use it as a camera and let him have it. Been out with the K200D yesterday and tried the telephoto lens with the K-5 II and I just like my current lenses over them so Going to try and find another 18-55 kit lens to send with him.

It still will need to be cleaned before he gets it. Ordering some of the items mentioned to clean the sensor so it doesn't give him any problems. I personally have been out of photography for a couple years due to work hours and this gave me the nudge to get everything back out (get back here) and start taking them out to enjoy shooting again. I even have some film in my film camera bag that I could use too; I have 2 -K1000's that I can take out. I have a Pentax loyalty addiction. So overall $20(So far) well spent. Now to order the stuff to help clean the sensor and keep that in my camera bag. And happy photo hunting time!
Shoot some sky photos to see if you have sensor dust.