Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #1

rechargeable CR-V3 k100d

The manual states that rechargable CR-V3 batteries wont work on the k100d. Has anyone tried it anyways?

If not, what type of battery/charger are you using and how many shots are you getting per charge?

10-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Ed in GA

CRV-3 rechargeables

QuoteOriginally posted by acrbill Quote
The manual states that rechargable CR-V3 batteries wont work on the k100d. Has anyone tried it anyways?

If not, what type of battery/charger are you using and how many shots are you getting per charge?
My guess is that Pentax has already run tests using these batteries and found that the lower voltage, around 4.8, isn't adequate to power the camera functions.

So, if they don't think it's a good idea, neither do I.

BTW, I use the energizer CRV-3 and I haven't taken enough shots to evaluate their life.

ciao`

Ed
10-14-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since most rechargeable AA's add up to 4.8 volts, are they also incompatible with the K100d?

Maybe that's why the K10d's getting its own li-ion rechargeables

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-14-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Guys

I believe you will find that the rechargeable CRV3 batterys have to much Voltage.
So if you use them you could burn out all the Electronics.
This is why Pentax warns not to use them.

I use the 2500 mah NIMH AA batterys and Get around 500 Shots. Using the CRV3 reg(Non rechargeables) batterys, i get about 1100 with MY DS

BK

PS: Just Got a Set of 2700's myself. But have not had a Chance to test them out yet

Last edited by Black Knight; 10-14-2006 at 09:08 PM.
10-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

<<I believe you will find that the rechargeable CRV3 batterys have to much Voltage.
So if you use them you could burn out all the Electronics.
This is why Pentax warns not to use them.>>

Exactly......as you said, you might burn up the camera. Rechargeable Li-ions are double the voltage of throw-away Li-ions.

<<I use the NIMH AA batterys and Get around 500 Shots. Using the CRV3 reg(Non rechargeables) batterys, i get about 1100 with MY DS>>

On my K100D I get around 700 shots with my set of Powerex 2700 mAh NiMH rechargeables. That includes reviewing each shot on the LCD and zero flash use.

Lucky Sky
10-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep!

Like Lucky Sky I use rechargeable NiMh's in my K100D (Duracell 2650 mAh) and am averaging approx. 700 shots.

I don't know why anyone would use anything else.
10-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

Well - I didn't bother to read the manual and just bought some rechargeable CRV3's and tried em.
First let me say why - They last longer that NMh's, and they don't bleed off the charge near as fast. But the main reason is that NiMh's
don't do very well in the cold. Lithiums aren't affected so much by temperature and I plan on shooting a lot during winter.
Anyway - as was mentioned, they have too much voltage - I measured - 3.8 volts each and the camera takes 2 - so you have well over 7 volts. With even alkalines you're only going to get a little over 6.
Wellll - what happens - at least to me. I slap those suckers in there and go off with my brand new camera to do some shooting in my boat. I find a nice little cove that looks interesting so I stop to make a shot. I shoot, everything's fine. So I press the review button - the shutter fires again. I press the menu button, the shutter fires again. Every thing on the camera becomes a shutter button! Oh #$%^*( my new camera is busted!
To make a long story short - I didn't burn up the camera, severely lucky I suppose, but don't try it, you may not be.
After studying up on this - because I was annoyed that I'd spent
about $50 on batteries and a charger I can't use, I found out this.
Pentax recommends against them because the voltage CAN be too high on some. I gather that other makes of the batteries may not have such high voltage.
If you can find some that are in the 3 volt range they will be OK, but check first. And let me know if you find some.
I've found that if I use a single one and 2 NiMH pen cells - 3.8 + 1.2 + 1.2 - I'm only a little over 6 volts and it works OK. I'm not sure this will buy me any improved performance in the cold yet, but I'll see.
Anyway, I'm still annoyed, because the other reason I got them
was for my GPS - and they don't fit! Wahhhhh Wahhhh

Larry
10-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
Good info leaton.

I use Energizer 2200's in a Energizer 15 minute charger. I only have the 4 that came with the charger so I charge them up after I am out shooting. I have filled a 512 card with jpgs and it didnt even move off of full on the meter.

10-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

RCR-V3 batteries... I have good experience only. I didn't bother to read the manual, but I did spend some time at DPR and found out about the voltage problem. So, I bought voltage regulated RCR-V3 batteries.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=19483361
No problems.
10-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Rechargeable CR-V3 are not recommended because they have higher voltage, with two RCR-V3 you get 7,6V instead of 6V.

However there are so called "voltage controlled" rechargeable CR-V3. Their specifications say that their voltage is 3V instead of 3,8V. I can't see anything going wrong while using such voltage controlled RCR-V3 (unless, of course, their specifications are false).
10-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
Forum Member

I'll have to chalk that one up to experience, when all else fails read the directions as they say.
I even tried to use the RCRV3's I bought in my head lamp. No cigar, won't fit. If you want em - I've put em on ebay
$60 lesson minus what I can get. I think the Olympus guys can use em.

Larry
10-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter

rechargeable crv

Friend put them in a DS and the camera locked up. Would not go off the menu screen. Had to go to Pentax for reset/repair. Luckily they did it in warranty. My DS will never see any of these batts.
thanks
barondla
10-22-2006, 05:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Friend put them in a DS and the camera locked up. Would not go off the menu screen. Had to go to Pentax for reset/repair. Luckily they did it in warranty. My DS will never see any of these batts.
thanks
barondla
Tss... Are we cowards or are we in the technical frontline?
Just buy the right batteries and enjoy the combo of good performance with environment friendly equipment.

regards,
11-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good info on the rechargeable CRV-3's. I use NiMH pretty much exclusively, except for travelling I bought some (non-rechargeable) CRV-3's at Walgreens when they had a big sale on them. I used them in my DL and took several hundred pictures before I sold it with the batteries still showing full.

I get ~600+ shots on my new NiMH (2500mAh) and I have the charger at home, so it's not a big deal to swap them out. I shoot raw, review pretty much every shot, and I never use the flash.

To me, the use of AA batteries was a selling point for Pentax. I really don't like proprietary batteries even if they do last longer. 600 shots on one charge is plenty for me, and I like have an emergency supplier of batteries on every corner when I travel.
11-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
Forum Member

Just sold my rechargeable CRV3's on ebay and got 1/2 my money back.
Was told they apparently will work fine in Olympus