Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's my take on the K-70 versus KP - I own both. KP has the better IQ but only by a very small margin at higher ISO. KP is sturdier and can take a battery grip. KP has the extra dial which is absolutely genius. KP is said not to suffer from the solenoid issues prominent in K-30/K-50. K-70 is cheaper - a lot. I prefer the fully articulated LCD to the hinged one of the KP. Ergonomically, I prefer the deep grip of the K-70 to any of the 3 grips on the KP.

Other than that - both are extremely capable cameras and you simply cannot be disappointed by either.

06-23-2021, 01:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I have read, the aperture issue isn't as prevalent on the K70 as earlier models but when you think about it, K30/50/70/S1/S2 aperture block, early K5, AF issues, early K3, unexplained deadness, whereas the KP, to date, .........
06-23-2021, 02:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I posted earlier I did not know you were going for a new KP, that may complicate thing as they have been discontinued. If you do find a new one prepare to pay a premium price, that’s normally what happens when B&H, Adorama, and Amazon run out.
06-23-2021, 02:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also switched from a K-10D to a K-70 and I am still not comfortable with its ergonomics. Much to much menu operations. And it is inconveniently smaller then the K-10D.
I do not know if the KP adresses those issues of mine. I would probably go for a used K-3 ii instead if they weren't to expensive for my taste at the moment.

Albeit, what I want to contribute to the discussion is, you should reserve a bit of money for lenses with better IQ. The IQ of the K-70 is much better, then that of the K-10D. So I recommend you to save some money for adequate lenses. Adequate does not mean expensive, but I would think about a 16-85, a 35/2.4 or the 50/1.8 at least.

06-23-2021, 03:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I also switched from a K-10D to a K-70 and I am still not comfortable with its ergonomics. Much to much menu operations. And it is inconveniently smaller then the K-10D.
I do not know if the KP adresses those issues of mine. I would probably go for a used K-3 ii instead if they weren't to expensive for my taste at the moment.

Albeit, what I want to contribute to the discussion is, you should reserve a bit of money for lenses with better IQ. The IQ of the K-70 is much better, then that of the K-10D. So I recommend you to save some money for adequate lenses. Adequate does not mean expensive, but I would think about a 16-85, a 35/2.4 or the 50/1.8 at least.
I’m on the same page... save your money for better lenses, don’t waste any more time thinking about the -apparently small- difference between the bodies.
If you wanna grab them and see if they fit nicely in your hand, do it. Other than that, you’re gonna get some nice photos.
06-23-2021, 05:36 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K-70. Love the ergonomics and quality of images it produces. Attached to my 55-300 PLM makes a great combo. And in the unlikely event my K-70 gets the aperture block this combo will still work.
06-23-2021, 06:17 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
The KP has been discontinued. I have the K70 and have shot with a KP. Same shot, same lens, same lighting. I couldn't tell any difference in image quality.
Same experience here. absolutely no discernable difference in the results.

With the "different" ergonomics of the KP I was much happier with the K-70, so sold the KP and added another K-70. Obviously a whole lotta Pentax KP owners are very happy with their KP's so the feel is fine for them. You won't see any difference in the photos from one to the other, and most of the general specs are so very close as well. Even the low-light capabilities are within a stop of each other. I kept my K-70's at 3200, 6400 if a little noise was acceptable, while the KP was kept at 6400 or 12800 with acceptable noise. Of note my K3III is set at 12800 and I've been very content with 51200 when needed.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-23-2021 at 06:34 AM.
06-23-2021, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
KP vs K-70

Just a reminder of the some of the significant differences:

- Metering: 86K pixel vs 77 segment
- AF system: SAFOX11 (27 point) vs SAFOX 10 (11 point), plus new tracking algorithms
- Processor: Prime IV + accelerator vs Prime M II
- 3 Control wheels vs 2
- Shake Reduction: 5-axis SRII vs SR
- Ultrasonic DRII vs sensor shake DR
- Quiet shutter and motor aperture vs louder shutter and solenoid aperture.
- 7FPS vs 6FPS
- 5 user modes vs 3
- Magnesium body vs plastic.
- Electronic shutter option
- External battery grip option

06-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Either camera will totally amaze you as an upgrade from the K10D, though the K-70 will feel more like home. Both will require more attention to technique on account of higher resolution sensor, but the results will be worth it. While the compact size of the KP is often cited as its signature feature, the K-70 is smaller while build quality of the KP is more similar to that of the K-3 series and K-1. Likewise, the KP is a more sophisticated camera in many ways. The in-depth reviews for both cameras here at Pentax Forums might prove helpful as might the manuals.

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Despite being officially discontinued, the KP is available in the U.S. through Amazon at its regular price of about $1000 USD, body only. The K-70 on Amazon is currently about $550 USD body only. If I had to replace my K-3 today, my choice would be the K-70 with intent to buy the K-3iii as a second body sometime in the future.

Steve
06-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread made me look up my order history and some prices. I purchased the K-5 IIs (new) on 11/2/2013 and paid €809. The K-70 was purchased on 4/21/2017 (again brandnew) at €649 and I could not let the KP go when it was on-sale at my favorite brick&mortar photo store on 12/23/2019 for €669 - a price I never saw since! I know I only used the K-70 for some 2.5 years before I moved on but that was more for the incredible value of the KP offer and the thinking my daughter who shoots an old K-3 might use my K-70.

The weird thing is that I seem to be paying less and less for more capable bodies. What will be next? The K-3 IV for only €500? Who knows? In the meantime, I've added the 55-300PLM to the package which was a real steal.

Last edited by newmikey; 06-23-2021 at 08:37 AM.
06-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
KP vs K-70

Just a reminder of the some of the significant differences:

- Metering: 86K pixel vs 77 segment
- AF system: SAFOX11 (27 point) vs SAFOX 10 (11 point), plus new tracking algorithms
- Processor: Prime IV + accelerator vs Prime M II
- 3 Control wheels vs 2
- Shake Reduction: 5-axis SRII vs SR
- Ultrasonic DRII vs sensor shake DR
- Quiet shutter and motor aperture vs louder shutter and solenoid aperture.
- 7FPS vs 6FPS
- 5 user modes vs 3
- Magnesium body vs plastic.
- Electronic shutter option
- External battery grip option

A very good list for a true assessment. I also believe another advantage for the KP is it can use its built-in flash as a trigger for a slave flash setup. The K-70 has some of its own advantages- like its built-in flash is stronger, and it can use the typical remote control for firing the camera's shutter, where the KP must use a wired shutter release or a smart phone. But the advantage for the smart phone system is for distance and placement.
06-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I also believe another advantage for the KP is it can use its built-in flash as a trigger for a slave flash setup. The K-70 has some of its own advantages- like its built-in flash is stronger, and it can use the typical remote control for firing the camera's shutter, where the KP must use a wired shutter release or a smart phone.
A few more points to consider:
  • Controller only for the in-camera optical wireless on the KP. That said, this is a huge advantage over any of the compact and affordable Pentax-brand flash as well as the other non-flagship models where optical wireless is not an option.
  • Built-in flash on the KP is only GN 6(m) as opposed to GN 12(m) on the K-70. That is only 2 meters distance at f/2.8 and ISO 100.
  • Use of the pigtail adapter for AC power on the K-70 makes one wonder why they bothered, IMHO.
  • Support for IR remote on the K-70 is a strong feature. It is something I use on a regular basis with my K-3 and is one of the reasons why the KP never made my list cameras to replace my K-3.
  • HDMI-out is another feature where the KP's implementation is less than ideal and where the K-70's is bog-standard HDMI.
  • Despite the KP's being mostly magnesium clad, the top plate is high grade plastic similar to that used on the K-70.

In the interest of clarity, I should state that the KP is a very cool camera that has served many of my friends here admirably and I find several of its features highly desirable. However, given the question posed in the original post, I find it hard to recommend the KP at a $500 premium over a free K-70. The same logic might apply to recommending a new K-3iii over a lightly-used K-3 II. Is the additional value really there for general photography?

For the record...I was strongly tempted to get a KP during its lowest-price ebb a few months ago. I also prefer its tilt screen over the full articulation of the K-70.

Steve

(...really don't think much about defining dynamic range in terms of noise...almost never shoot above ISO 1600...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-23-2021 at 07:59 PM.
06-24-2021, 01:05 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A few more points to consider:
  • Support for IR remote on the K-70 is a strong feature. It is something I use on a regular basis with my K-3 and is one of the reasons why the KP never made my list cameras to replace my K-3.
Steve

OK, except for the fact that on the K-70 the i/r remote only works from the front of the camera, so OK for group portraits or 'selfies' at more than arm's length, but of little value if the photographer wants/needs to be behind the camera.
A 'feature' I rapidly became aware of when moving from my K-5 to my K-70, had learnt to live without on my KP, and now have back again with my K-3iii
06-24-2021, 04:24 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the general specs are so close, the $500 difference is a deciding factor. For the value of the K-70 it’s almost a second body.
07-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #30

Original Poster
Well, I decided to stay with the K-70, and even though I've only had time to take a few dozen shots with it, I am happy with my decision.

The camera feels nice ergonomically, and I find it not a big learning curve from my K10D, but I also have yet to used all it's additional features.

I am busy watching youtube videos of it, and want to try some astrophotography with it once our nights start getting darker (I'm on the 54th parallel)

The astro tracer feature almost had me pull the trigger on a K3 years ago, so I am eager to try that out, but see I need to buy the GPS addon for this.

One question I have I can't seem to find an answer too is can this camera be powered by an external battery bank? I occasionally do long night time lapses with my GoPro & Insta360 cameras, which can be connected to an external battery bank for almost unlimited (as long as the night lasts) time.

I am thinking probably not, since the camera battery cannot be charged in-camera like I can with my action cams.

I guess if not then an option would be to get the AC power accessory & plug it into an battery unit with AC power outlets.

update - I see from further research powering from an external power bank is not an option, so c'est la vie. Perhaps this weekend I will try a starlapse with it & just see how long the battery will last. My GoPro will go just over an hour doing 30 second exposures 2 or 5 seconds apart, and I have some cheap Canon P&S with CHDK firmware that will last a couple of hours on 2 AA batteries doing the same thing, but they have very noticeable amp-glow from the sensor.

Last edited by Glen_S; 07-13-2021 at 05:46 AM.