Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
Well, I decided to stay with the K-70, and even though I've only had time to take a few dozen shots with it, I am happy with my decision.

The camera feels nice ergonomically, and I find it not a big learning curve from my K10D, but I also have yet to used all it's additional features.
update - I see from further research powering from an external power bank is not an option, so c'est la vie. Perhaps this weekend I will try a starlapse with it & just see how long the battery will last. My GoPro will go just over an hour doing 30 second exposures 2 or 5 seconds apart, and I have some cheap Canon P&S with CHDK firmware that will last a couple of hours on 2 AA batteries doing the same thing, but they have very noticeable amp-glow from the sensor.

Just for reference … I've not tried star trails with my K-70, but my KP (same battery) will easily make 120 30sec exposures, f/2 @ 400ISO on a 35sec interval, for a similar result with power to spare … shouldn't be an issue
Good luck!

Afterthought :- if you're operating from a vehicle, a voltage inverter that'll give you a low-power mains socket could be used in conjunction with the AC Adaptor kit (p41 in the manual) for those really long exposures. Not the cheapest option, for sure, but possibly worth thinking about, especially if there might be other instances where the Adaptor would be useful … extended wi-fi sessions, for example?

Last edited by kypfer; 07-13-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Afterthought
07-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just for reference … I've not tried star trails with my K-70, but my KP (same battery) will easily make 120 30sec exposures, f/2 @ 400ISO on a 35sec interval, for a similar result with power to spare … shouldn't be an issue
Good luck!

Afterthought :- if you're operating from a vehicle, a voltage inverter that'll give you a low-power mains socket could be used in conjunction with the AC Adaptor kit (p41 in the manual) for those really long exposures. Not the cheapest option, for sure, but possibly worth thinking about, especially if there might be other instances where the Adaptor would be useful … extended wi-fi sessions, for example?
Thanks - I will attempt to make a regular starlapse this coming weekend & see how long I can go with the stock battery. I was thinking also one of those jump starter units with a built in power inverter with AC outlets would work, and be relatively portable. I have a DeWalt unit but I don't think it has the AC inverter.

This is the effect I am going for, here is a short video I made a year ago catching comet Neowise with GoPro 7, Insta360 and Canon SX200. A lot of light pollution from motion sensor lights, people in household not listening to me to keep lights off & tacky solar lights, but you get the idea

Another I did with my GoPro & wife's Sony A5100, which works very well for this with apps you can install right in the camera, I was catching star lapse & aurora with this video.

Last edited by Glen_S; 07-14-2021 at 06:12 AM.
07-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #33
PDL
Pentaxian

Why can't you keep both?

Just buy the KP body, no need to get the lens.
07-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
people in household not listening to me to keep lights off
You need to upgrade your domestic companions?!

We are both (retired) professional astronomers here, so when I ask my wife to keep the lights on low, she knows what I am talking about! (Unless the dog HAS to go out!)

07-13-2021, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
You need to upgrade your domestic companions?!

We are both (retired) professional astronomers here, so when I ask my wife to keep the lights on low, she knows what I am talking about! (Unless the dog HAS to go out!)
And if they don't listen, quietly nip in and steal the fuse for the lighting circuit