Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Have brand new K-70 - worth taking a loss 7 trading for a KP?

I just used up a bunch of rewards points I have in a program on a new K-70 with the standard 18-55 kit lens.

This will be my long awaited upgrade for my aged K10-D camera.

One drawback is I'll be without a battery grip/base, which I really got to like on my K10-D, particularly for shooting vertical shots & the sheer number of images I could get on two charged batteries. For that reason alone I am considering trading it for a KP.

Battery grip aside however, are the extra features on the KP that the K-70 doesn't have going to be that noticeable?

If not, I may just keep the K-70 & deal with no battery grip.

Thanks in advance

06-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it is worth, I have both. The versatility of the KP is nice and I have "programmed" the buttons and dials which proved to make things a bit more convenient. Early comparison of image quality gives a "slight" edge to the KP. I reserve the right to amend that in the future. That said, the K-70 still does the job for me. Currently, the k-70 carries the 55-300 PLM and the KP a sigma 17-50. No more hurry up lens changes. I find both are more than adequate cameras for my non-professional use. Battery life is better with the K-70 and I will be getting the BG for the KP as the camera is much more of a battery hog than the k-70.
06-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it all depends on what your are losing in trading something so new. What is the condition of the KP? What is the monetary cost?
06-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP has a much higher low light sensitivity. I do a lot of night photography so for me I'd pick the KP. KP shoots slightly faster (7 vs. 6 fps.) Of course as mentioned, you need to see how much of a hit you would be trading or selling the K-70. Might not be worth it. Another question is have you had the K-70 too long to return it? If not, that's an option where you wouldn't loose anything (minus shipping or any restock fees of course.)

06-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much would you be out to do this? What about applying that money towards another lens?
06-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I haven't even received the K-70 yet, it is en route and my plan was to trade it before I even open the box.

I was not aware until after my OP however, that the KP isn't even being stocked at the camera stores I am thinking about, (so that tells me it's probably being discontinued) although one did say something about a special order.

If that's the case, my point may be moot, although the new K3 looks quite nice albeit out of my budget for now, the K1 is actually going for less.

I'd just be trading for a body, I have the Pentax 18-250 lens on my K10-D I would use, as well as a bunch of older SLR glass.
06-22-2021, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP has been discontinued. I have the K70 and have shot with a KP. Same shot, same lens, same lighting. I couldn't tell any difference in image quality.

06-22-2021, 07:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I was in the same situation a couple months ago and ended up canceling my k70 order after reading reports of k70 reliability issues.

They were few and far between, but frequent enough that I decided to go with the KP.

IMO: It is a battery hog compared to the K10d that it replaced…. (Honestly the K10 was still pretty usable, but I wanted better AF.)

Pretty sure Amazon still has KPs in stock if B&H or Adoroama don’t.

Last edited by trixtroll; 06-22-2021 at 07:24 PM.
06-22-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Technically it is discontinued but Amazon has several vendors with KP's in stock. If you really want one, get a refund on the K-70 and get a KP.
06-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
I cashed in airmiles for it, so there is no refund to be had - Pentax DSLR's show up rarely in my rewards program, so I jumped on it when I saw it because I knew it wouldn't be there long.

I talked to one shop & they said bring it down & talk to them, so I may on my next trip to the city just to see what they say.

I think I'll probably end up just keeping it. I was going to sell my K10D with battery grip & an extra Sigma 18-250 lens I have as a package, but I think I'll just keep it for all I'd probably get for it, and it still takes great pictures.
06-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
I cashed in airmiles for it, so there is no refund to be had - Pentax DSLR's show up rarely in my rewards program, so I jumped on it when I saw it because I knew it wouldn't be there long.

I talked to one shop & they said bring it down & talk to them, so I may on my next trip to the city just to see what they say.

I think I'll probably end up just keeping it. I was going to sell my K10D with battery grip & an extra Sigma 18-250 lens I have as a package, but I think I'll just keep it for all I'd probably get for it, and it still takes great pictures.
I've got alot of quotes for gear from different stores (Roberts/UsedCameraPro, Adorama, B&H, KEH) and Roberts has been the highest quote on my gear. Might want to talk to some of them and see what they will give you. Roberts does paypal. They also have a K-1 in stock for about $1200, in case that's an option. Yeah I know, the whole full frame vs. APS-C debate. Not trying to open that bag of worms.
06-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The KP's controls and build quality are much closer to your K10D, though different. There are still some buttons that would now be dual-purpose, but as others have said, there is much programability. One example for the KP is the on-body control for bracketing having disappeared even from flagship models after the K20D until came the FF K-1 and then the KP, where this feature can be accessed conveniently via a top dial instead of diving into menus. But it is indeed a whole different animal than the K10D. I know- I shot with the virtually identical K20D body for some years. Now the KP is my main camera. Together with its brilliant image quality and great low-light/high ISO performance, along with many features in a compact but pro-oriented body, this is one fine and versatile camera.

The availability of a battery grip can be a significant factor. For one, battery life is greatly extended, well beyond that of the K-70 or even the K-3 or K10D alone. This can be important when shooting events where battery-changing could mean missed shots during the action. The battery grip can take the same size battery as your K10D in addition to the camera's normal smaller battery. It also greatly increases gripping surface, and convenience for vertical shooting. It thus balances better with large lenses for better handling. The battery grip obviously further increases the KP's versatility. The KP has been discontinued. So if you are interested in getting one, now is the time to grab a left-over new one!

Since you are just in process of buying a new K-70, it would seem there should be no problem in returning it. If the same vendor has a KP in stock, an exchange should be an easy matter.

---------- Post added 06-22-21 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote

Oh, I see. But talk to whomever is supplying the K-70 first to see if through them a KP might be available. For a return plus the extra cost of the KP, maybe there could be a deal.

And yeah, for an event when using flash, or one outdoors in daylight, the K10D with battery grip could still do the job.
06-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Either one is a massive upgrade over the K10D. I would think you'd very happy with either. Battery life on the KP is kinda crap -- one of its few drawbacks, but the K-70 uses the same battery, right?
06-23-2021, 12:01 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I've got both the K-70 and the KP. For most "normal" photographic work I don't notice any image quality difference.
The KP was bought as an a/f upgrade to the K-70 and from this perspective it works well. The extra focus-points make it easier to track a moving subject, especially with the latest firmware.
The KP does have a higher ISO capability, but you'll need to be a fan of grainy images to take advantage of it. If you're one of those users who never goes above ISO 3200 because of the noise you'll see no advantage.
I've not (yet) made use of the electronic-shutter-only 1/24000sec shutter speed.
Both cameras use the same battery. The K-70 does seem to have a slightly longer battery life. For the cost of a spare battery in my pocket this was never an issue. I bought a battery grip for my K-5 and have hardly used it. It simply makes the camera too bulky for my taste. I'm totally used to working with a camera at 90 degrees and don't consider this to be a problem.
The ergonomics of the KP are slightly different to all my other Pentax cameras, the positioning of the shutter button being particularly noticeable. Something I got used to, but it took time.
My KP is now in "semi-retirement", having been superceded for most field-work by a K-3iii.
The K-70, with it's fully articulated screen, is so much easier to use for macro-work and high-angle astrophotography on a tripod.

Just my tuppence worth, inevitably your criteria will be different and "your mileage may vary" - enjoy
06-23-2021, 12:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP is a beautiful thing. The customizability of the three dials makes it a joy to use, as does the flip screen. I also like the interchangeable grips, using a medium most of the time with options if I fancy a change. Yep, the battery life is average but still as good as a milc, the ergonomics being radical (grip shape mainly) takes some getting use to. As for the grip, you can only get Pentax ones, I found no 3rd party stuff so they can be expensive (although now its discontinued ....) Also, its large. The KP + grip is bigger than my k3 + grip. I guess it all comes down to whether or not you will regret not getting the KP