Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2021, 05:22 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is a classic camera company...

I don't generally link to Youtube videos without commenting otherwise, but in my personal opinion this one is too good not to view and then consider the premise for yourself. Of note too, the creator is a member of our forums.

06-24-2021, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can get past his rambling style, (or just fast forward to 4:00 minutes) there are a few really great points in there.

His point that the mirrorless is the new modern camera system with fast autofocus lenses suitable for shooting video; vs when you buy into Pentax, you're buying a classic camera system.
Solo content creators benefit from the MILC and lenses that go with them.

Pentax is signalling we're making a modern DSLR K3 III, yet it's still in a classic DSLR ecosystem. You either embrace the Pentax system as a classic system, or you look for a system that has the lenses to be capable of fast, quick autofocus during video and tracking autofocus still images. He makes the point that some kinds of photography e.g. landscape photography is fine with the classic; the video needs are met elsewhere.

You gotta shoot what you enjoy.
K1 is a pleasure to shoot with and K3 III is a home run. He wishes for lenses that can keep up, with modern motors etc for focusing.
The modernists don't get how the Pentax people embrace classic cameras.

Thanks for posting.
06-24-2021, 06:53 AM - 3 Likes   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

I saw that video and he has some kind of point. Pentax is not leaving theist behind in the same way that other companies have done. However, I don't think that means they are necessarily a classic camera company. They state that they believe in "The future of DSLR photography", which implies that they believe there is another way forward. I think of it more as a divergent evolutionary path. They need to continue with the kind of technical improvements they made with the K-3 III.

One point that I wholeheartedly agree with is that Pentax needs to modernize their lenses, steadily and wisely, to stay relevant for new users. The new DA* 16-50 is critical.
06-24-2021, 07:14 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
One point that I wholeheartedly agree with is that Pentax needs to modernize their lenses, steadily and wisely, to stay relevant for new users. The new DA* 16-50 is critical.
The D FA 21mm Limited is even more critical (because I want it)

06-24-2021, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish they could do something about their super tele as well and soon.
06-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The D FA 21mm Limited is even more critical (because I want it)
Ricoh will give us a few months to buy the HD 31/42/77 remakes and then add the new one. Actually, the 21mm would probably be too wide for me, because I find the 15mm a bit wide on APS-C most of the time. It's more my fault because I'm not used to anything that wide.
06-24-2021, 07:45 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Pentax is signalling we're making a modern DSLR K3 III, yet it's still in a classic DSLR ecosystem. You either embrace the Pentax system as a classic system, or you look for a system that has the lenses to be capable of fast, quick autofocus during video and tracking autofocus still images. He makes the point that some kinds of photography e.g. landscape photography is fine with the classic; the video needs are met elsewhere.
The question remains whether the core of serious photography is better served by "fast, quick autofocus during video and tracking autofocus still images". Despite the emphasis placed on these two features by reviewers and marketing, both cater to specific user segments; amateur videographers, birds-in-flight/action sports/crazy dogs/crazy kids*, and tech addicts. Did I use the words "tech addicts"? Well, I guess I did!

Strangely enough, craft tends to trump tech overall and not just for landscape work; this being true for creative and professional satisfaction purposes, if for little else. Take, for example, street photography. What roles does predictive AF play in that realm? Does eye AF really make the shot for portraits or is it a crutch (find the eye and the face follows)? How much of wedding/event work requires the equivalent of a superb snapshot machine? Where are the masochists that use AF for close-focus and macro work?

\rant

Steve

* I might include wildlife except that the pros I know don't use continuous AF.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-24-2021 at 02:12 PM.
06-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
I wish they could do something about their super tele as well and soon.
Which super tele might that be? There is nothing on the road map and market for a prime over 400mm is apparently not there.

(sorry...badly off-topic )

Steve
06-24-2021, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Goes on a bit too long for my feeling. Good thing Youtube allows to speed up to 2x...

Don't agree about the lenses not being there though. Lenses is why I'm using Pentax... They might not be there for a very small portion of use cases that I personally don't care about or can work around as a photographer (as I have for decades).
06-24-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I really wanted a "long tele" I'd go for the current 150-450 but I've no need or want for anything longer than the *300, with a couple of TC's if I think I'd need one. Even now I'm more likely to use the *200, with a 1.7TC in the bag. But that 16-50 PLM for fast focus and tracking? Yup, I'm on it, and I definitely would appreciate it if Pentax found it worthwhile to update the 50-135 to a fast focus PLM or equivalent. My other recent lenses are fast enough now (DFA50/85/70-200), so those two are the only ones I would be interested in for the K3III. Had I not purchased the new Pentax I wouldn't have a burning desire for even those.

Now the 21 for the K1 might get me to open my wallet, MIGHT, but no desire for it on crop.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-24-2021 at 08:17 AM.
06-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

A longer tele would necessarily be expensive... it would be nice to see it happen, but I won't be able afford it (probably)
I'm curious about the 70-300mm, though.
06-24-2021, 09:15 AM - 9 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The question remains whether the core of serious photography is better served by "fast, quick autofocus during video and tracking autofocus still images". Despite the emphasis placed on these two features by reviewers and marketing, both cater to specific user segments; amateur videographers, birds-in-flight/action sports/crazy dogs/crazy kids*, and tech addicts. Did I use the words "tech addicts"? Well, I guess I did!

Strangely enough, craft tends to trump tech overall and not just for landscape work; this being true for creative and professional satisfaction purposes, if for little else. Take, for example, street photography. What roles does predictive AF play in that realm? Does eye AF really make the shot for portraits or is it a crutch? How much of wedding/event work requires the equivalent of a superb snapshot machine? Where are the masochists that use AF for close-focus and macro work?

\rant

Steve

* I might include wildlife except that the pros I know don't use continuous AF.
We went past the point of "too much is not enough" for most photographers a while ago. The cutting edge features in cameras today are only possibly useful to a handful of photographers getting paid to cover the Olympics.

Sell people on the idea that everything they shoot needs to be at Toneh f1.2 on a FF, and then eye af becomes really important as the DOF barely covers from the end of the eyelash to the eyeball... Marketing genius.

In a craft and profession that I'm still learning after almost 40 years, human nature says that most would rather let "auto" and the computers fast track them to decent results. And of course they have Luminar AI, Toneh f1.2 and don't even have to be there. (As opposed to f8 and be there.)

You have to have the courage to draw the line somewhere, resist temptation, and be real with yourself. For me the Pentax K1 is enough. My brief time with the Sony A7r 3/4 taught me that. They went too far, to a place that is soulless, like being inside the Matrix. The steak doesn't taste great if you know it's not real. Reality is hard, and learning is always difficult, but the rewards are great. There is no shortcut to excellence in anything. Never has been, never will be. (Everything that's wrong with the modern world in two sentences. )
06-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great points. Simply said, we have been Pentaxians since Super Program, endured the delays over the journey (I moved from RTS, Wife off F4). Never looked back. Back in the day, the only decent non-German glass was Pentax, heck they licensed their coating process to the others. Still a long slog with some very dry spells...K3 was a big relief, K1 stellar for FF, but K-3III? The Game changer. I remember the President's interview of 5-7 years ago about Pentax becoming the Leica of Japan.... They are well on the way.... We could use a bit of longer glass, but the strategy is sound.... Let the big guys bash each other about.... Nothing wrong about being a Bentley in a world of Chevys...
06-24-2021, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
You have to have the courage to draw the line somewhere, resist temptation, and be real with yourself. For me the Pentax K1 is enough. My brief time with the Sony A7r 3/4 taught me that. They went too far, to a place that is soulless, like being inside the Matrix. The steak doesn't taste great if you know it's not real. Reality is hard, and learning is always difficult, but the rewards are great. There is no shortcut to excellence in anything. Never has been, never will be. (Everything that's wrong with the modern world in two sentences. )
Dang! That is very well-put. I wish I had written it!

Steve
06-24-2021, 10:09 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm curious about the 70-300mm, though.
Aren't we all!

Steve