the " In Depth " reviews will help

look at what you want to do with your photography

look at your budget

and make your choice

ultimately the decision is yours, not ours

06-25-2021, 07:12 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the original K3 and the original K1. Both are durable machines and provide predictable results.

The K3 is a little "easier" to use maybe because it is lighter and sometimes I feel lazy. I have an assortment of lenses dedicated to the APS-c format and these days I prefer 1) the DA 12-24 mm f/4 AL, 2) DA 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 ED 3) DA* 60-250 mm f/4 ED and 4) HD DA 55-300 mm f/4-5.8. #1 and #3 are without a doubt the best ones but the two others sometimes surprise me.

On the K1, I use 1) FA 20 mm f/2.8 for architecture, 2) the HD DFA 28-105 mm f/3.5-5.6 for landscapes and 3) the DFA* 70-200 mm f/2.8 for telephoto applications. I use a tripod most of the time, take my time and use only the best apertures (f/11 on the 28-105 mm, f/6.3 on the 70-200 mm).

I also have a Pentax 645Z medium-format with multiple lenses (645 and P67 with the adapter) ranging from a 645 33-55 mm zoom to a P67 500 mm and they can all be used with either the K3 or K1.

For ease of day-to-day operation, the K3 wins. For amazing landscape results, the K1 prevails.

Maybe you should lease one of each to see which one you might prefer.

Regards

K3 + DA 18-135 mm ED

K1 + HD DFA 28-105 mm ED

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-25-2021 at 07:19 AM.
06-25-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get the K1. Because bigger sensor is better sensor. More is just more. Except for when you want more control over depth of field, and a bigger sensor will give you that.

On crop frame, you "gain" about extra stop of DOF. So you never get the same look and feel with any specific lens that you got used to in your film days.

I tried to choose my words wisely and keep it short but the rabbit hole of technical detail goes very deep. Cue long discussion about crop factors.

Last edited by Wasp; 06-25-2021 at 08:06 AM.
06-25-2021, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My suggestion is to look at the lens lineup for K-mount and see if the subset of FF compatible lenses covers what you would want. If so then go for the K-1. I wouldn't get the K-1 if you are waiting for some future lenses that you hope will be released, because you could be frustrated for a while.

The K-3 III is also very good in low light though. It would not be much of a compromise in that regard.

06-25-2021, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I was starting over again right now and I wanted a Pentax I would get the K-3 III and combine it in a kit with the 18-135 (I am sure such a kit will be stock at some point soon). I would then go looking for a good copy of the DA 15 SMC and a DA 50 1.8. At that point you're pretty much set.

The other way I might go, and I haven't done this but it haunts me, is a used Fuji X-T3 and some old school manual primes and a new zoom. I could see that setup actually take me out of shooting much film as well as replacing my K-5 II.
06-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thank you one and all for the feedback,

I will reread everything at least once more before deciding. Possibly twice.

Admittedly, this has been a slow, interesting, and at times agonizing process.
I have been all over the board with makes, models and formats. Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Fujifilm, and more.
Micro 4/3s, APS-C, and Full Frame.
In truth they all offer some features that interest me.

Taken in aggregate, that is a dizzying array of options.

This morning a few left the table, I was scouring Nikon's site peering at the Z7 & Z6 doing my due dilligence.

This little tidbit ended that part of my search.
Taken directly from Nikon's site;

Operating EnvironmentTemperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
Humidity: Less than 85% (no condensation)

I shoot a lot in inclement weather. Rain, snow, and much below freezing, often below 0F.
Often my gear is stashed under a tarp with me, exposed to dampness and drifting snow.

One of the things that drew me here, was Pentax rugged weatherproof reputation.

I do a lot of winter shooting,

Much of it well below freezing,
My cameras often get set down as I'm working, building, or teaching.

It doesn't seem right if it's not cold, wet or miserable,

I should also add that the Pentax Community here is a huge plus!

The shared information, the camaraderie, all of it. Make no mistake this is a very cool place.
06-25-2021, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LostViking Quote
. . . Pentax rugged weatherproof reputation.. . . .
weather resistant, not weather proof

QuoteQuote:
About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/351252-about-th...ml#post4073115

06-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is an entire thread devoted to Pentax members taking pix in bad weather. It is part of the continuing appeal of using Pentax, we don’t have to stay inside if the weather is inclement.

Size and weight are considerations. I hike a lot with my K-1 and a long/heavy lens, I notice the difference between it and my K-5, both in weight and in the carrying case or bag I need to have.
06-25-2021, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LostViking Quote
This little tidbit ended that part of my search.Taken directly from Nikon's site;Operating Environment Temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)Humidity: Less than 85% (no condensation)
That's an important specification. Several brands/models also specify the same temperature range of 0 to +40 C: e.g., Nikon Z6, Z7; Canon R6, R5; Sony A1, A9 II. The Fujifilm X-T4 is rated minus 10 to +40 C.

I've used my Pentax cameras (K5 II, K-3 II) in minus 20 C (-4 F) with no issues whatsoever.

Another important aspect is operating the camera while wearing gloves. I have not had any problems in the winter with mitten liners or medium-weight outer gloves. The controls are fairly tactile. I would think that smaller cameras, such as the Olympus M4/3's, might be a bit more fiddly.

As for your main question -- K-1 or K-3 Mark III -- that's a hard one. As others have mentioned, each has strengths and weaknesses. My own choice of APS-C was driven mainly by the desire to own only one main camera. For me, APS-C is a sweet spot for image quality, portability, cost, etc.

I had a chance several years ago at a camera expo to handle the K-1 and lenses. I found that the camera and the D FA 70-200mm was simply heavier and bulkier than I was comfortable with. In general, a system based on the K-3 Mark III will be lighter and smaller than its K-1 full-frame counterpart.

As for lenses, I have the DA* 300 f/4, which is a fantastic lens. It's not f/2.8, but it's sharp wide open. Another lens that I use a lot is the DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited. It's also weather sealed and a great little performer.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-25-2021 at 11:18 AM.
06-25-2021, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I have long used Pentax DSLR APS-C cameras. And before used Pentax 35mm film SLR cameras. Late last year I finally got the K-1 II, since I have a number of fine FF lenses from 35mm film use. I do indeed enjoy the merits of the K-1 II. However, my most used and enjoyed camera remains the APS-C KP. Although each of the two systems have advantages, I have found a top-quality APS-C system to be more convenient as well as more versatile than the FF system. IQ between the KP and K-1 II is surprisingly close. I do not do huge print sizes, where the larger format could be advantageous. The K-1 II is more suited for wide angle to moderate tele for excellent quality while keeping weight more manageable. For example, the fine-performing FA HD 35mm f/2 lens provides a fast aperture wide angle FOV on this camera, while just a normal VOF on APS-C. The FA HD 31mm f/1.8 yields even wider angle, but not wide on APS-C, which suffers a scarcity in fast wide angle capability.

That said, you can still get very fine wide angle performance currently with APS-C, especially in the form of the very high-quality DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 lens featuring excellent WR construction, which is lacking with the FF system unless going for the DFA 15-30mm f/2.8, which is very large and heavy. Telephoto usage is also much more practical with a top-level APS-C system, the lenses needed being far lighter for easier carrying and hand-held shooting. The newer K-3 III will provide yet improved low light/high ISO performance along with better AF and tracking with burst shooting, compared with the already very fine KP.

---------- Post added 06-25-21 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If I was starting over again right now and I wanted a Pentax I would get the K-3 III and combine it in a kit with the 18-135 (I am sure such a kit will be stock at some point soon). I would then go looking for a good copy of the DA 15 SMC and a DA 50 1.8. At that point you're pretty much set.
I agree with this, and would also add the FA HD 35mm f/2 for a very good fast normal lens. On APS-C, that DA 50mm f/1.8 makes for a very good portrait lens at a reasonable price. The DA 18-135mm WR lens has fast, quiet, accurate DC AF performance, is very versatile, and can deliver lots of fine results under varying conditions. You can see examples in the lens section thread- "DA 18-135mm WR Show us what it can do" by starting at the last page (most recent) and work backwards. There is also a replacement for the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 on the horizon, as this lens has the antiquated and sometimes troublesome first edition SDM AF system. A good lens to have when you need the f/2.8 capability.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-25-2021 at 11:55 AM.
06-25-2021, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, let me say this about the weather

I have had serious problems in both very cold temps and very warm/humid temps with my 645Z!

One extremely cold morning, pre-dawn, I was shooting hoarfrost on bushes (don't ask), about 16F. Could not focus manually at all! With a headlamp! My glasses had frozen over.

Oh, the camera and lens were fine. But I couldn't see to focus and couldn't get the ice off my glasses. Had to rely on the focus assist lamp on the camera and the flash, and the headlamp to help the AF, which worked just fine.

Another time, in the Dominican Republic, I was shooting in a swampy rain forest area after getting out of my car. Condensation all over my glasses, couldn't see worth a damn. Camera and lenses worked fine, though (they were in a good bag to keep the condensation away, and I did give them time to warm up).

So, the real problem with Pentax cameras and lenses is the humans who use them, in my experience.
06-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I’m shooting in Finland. During winter and all that. Also I’v been in heavy rain, and I’v been in china during monsun, when humidity is super high and heat is bad. When I give camera some time to warm/cool before taking it out, no problem. Only once I’v had problem, but I was trying limits shooting in storm in to the wind with sleet and water, barely fighting the wind. But unless you do that, it will be fine. More likely you will be giving up than your gear will be. I have 100% confidence in WR and AW sealing.

I was in heavy rain& thunder with my K-1 and DFA15-30 at china on the mountain. Just had to wipe water off before taking photo. I was pleasantly surprised and I did get few nice photos too. Storm did Sneak up on us. I did not want to open camera bag, because it was so humid and I wanted to wait untill we were down from the mountain to dry up camera and lense before putting it in. Everything was wet. Camera was fine. There are many examples like mine from other members.
06-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3 III and 18-135 combination should be a good, weather resistant pair (I know the 18-135 holds up its end of the bargain, the K-3 III definitely should, but it's just hit the market so this is a slight assumption based on excellent past Pentax bodies). This is going to be hard to find in other systems as easily as it is with Pentax. That used Fuji I mentioned definitely will not get you there and old manual focus primes won't either. There's probably other Pentax lenses that would be even better from a weather resistance standpoint. This is an under sung strength of Pentax's.
06-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Understood!

I knew that, just misstated.

Thanks,
LV,

---------- Post added 06-25-21 at 01:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The K-3 III and 18-135 combination should be a good, weather resistant pair (I know the 18-135 holds up its end of the bargain, the K-3 III definitely should, but it's just hit the market so this is a slight assumption based on excellent past Pentax bodies). This is going to be hard to find in other systems as easily as it is with Pentax. That used Fuji I mentioned definitely will not get you there and old manual focus primes won't either. There's probably other Pentax lenses that would be even better from a weather resistance standpoint. This is an under sung strength of Pentax's.

It should be fine. I don't actively try to mistreat my equipment. But it's nice to have a buffer zone.
06-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My little Q

The only problem I had with overheating Pentax was while in Singapore and Brunei and it was the Q.
It was very hot and humid.
The Q was showing some warning message , can not remember the exact wording , it was years ago.
The camera was recovering fast.