Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Pentax equipment problems?
Yes, they have defective equipment. 118.15%
No. People don't take the time to learn. 6850.37%
Frankly, a little of both! 5641.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If by "inferior" you mean, "adhering to ISO standards while also managing not to blow out highlights by default", I would agree that this is something Pentax does more than most. Most photographers with any experience would consider both of these good things, but I can see how a point&shooter might find correct metering to be a bit confusing.
Blown highlights have been my observation with the Canon equipment as well. They produce eye-catching pictures, but if your wedding photographer uses Canon cameras be sure to double check their work 'cause the wedding dress and much of the 'decor' at a wedding will look like a formless, back-lit cloud of white smoke.

Took some courtesy (backup) photos at a wedding the first few weeks of owning a K100. The hired photographer used Canon gear. The bride/groom pictures after the ceremony were nice, but the pictures that made it into frames in the homes of the couple & their respective parents came from my K100. Freebies from a camera that was less than 1/2 the price, with 40% less resolution, and a $40, 30 year old, plastic, manual focus lens were considered far superior. By the way, shooting JPEGs and post-processed very little.

I was recently shown the original pix side by side and the detail lost in the dress from Canon equipment was nothing less than astonishing. The dress was VERY intricate, highly detailed, & expensive, so a great point of interest for the women. The Canons could easily have been adjusted to compensate for this, too bad.

I think claims of one system over another have more to do with operator expectations, brand familiarity, and competence (or lack thereof) than the capabilities of the gear. Whatever you use, know your equipment and hone your skills with it. The Canon/Nikon gear is great and can take some astounding photos, they simply have to be set up differently to get the desired effects - or perhaps it's the Pentax gear that needs a different setup to get results to mirror the Canikon effect.

12-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Once again 2 pics taken at same time - Canon 400D & Pentax K10D taken at ISO 100, Program Mode, and Matrix metering. I was lucky enough to have mine published at A4 in a magazine, where the punchy colors remind me of slide film.

The muddy looking one is the Canon's so to be quite direct one cannot simply say that the K10D has inferior metering.

In fact I could post a whole set of pics taken by wife, 12 yr & 21 yr old (zero experience) in green mode - all perfectly exposed in a wide variety of conditions including with onboard flash usage.

D
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL  Photo   
12-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Pentax Problems............

.......all told, I have been a Pentax user, albeit amateur, since about 1982. I have never had an equipment problem that I did not cause myself; I have never had anything but the highest quality and courtesy and service from the folks in Golden. My early experience was a determining factor in choosing to stay with PTX when I moved to DSLRs in late '05. I have not been disappointed...........
12-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #49
Veteran Member

You know, what's kind of funny is that I actually have been going through canons every month, and I've yet to be completely happy with any of them. I want to get a Pentax just because it looks so much better to me, and even with my 30D and a great lens, I still have a horrible keeper rate of most of my photos. I want to try out a K10D just to see if it can compare, which I'm fairly sure it can, especially with the less expensive and higher quality lenses that pentax has. By the way, I ALWAYS shoot in RAW, jpeg is horrible in any camera.

12-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Thanks to te OP, great thread.

I've owned my Pentax K10D for 15 months now, and am quite happy with the Pentax system.

Recently i had the hard decision to make whether to buy the DA 300mm or upgrade to K20D and i went with the 300

The DA 300mm is awesome, half the time I can't even hear the focus working, the viewfinder just goes from fuzzy to clear, and QUICK. focus works fine in house with normal lighting, with the K10 no less.

Today, i just put a Tamron 1.4 TC on the end of DA 300 so now i'm out to 630mm equivalent and its still sharp at 100% crop, especially when i used a monopod. Neat thing is that the SDM works fine with the TC, ie it has the contacts.

I like to select my own shooting parameters for the situation, but i have to admit when i used the green mode, the majority of the time, its better than what i do

The K20 and DA 300 show that Pentax is still producing innovative products. I wish they would farm out some of the peripherals like flashes, perhaps they are already, i don't know. The Pentax engineers need to manage the whole system, not produce every part of it.
12-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #51
Inactive Account

I disagree

How are you.Just have to disagree with your statement Sflights about JPEGS bein horrible.Bought the K20D for the quality of Jpegs.I do use raw for paid shoots and other ocassions but more than happy with Jpegs form K20D.I think a few ppl here do the same heres a couple of jpegs straight out of camera im more than happy with. i had the k10d its raw was gr8 but the k20 there realy isnt much difference if you get your Jpegs rite.I do use raw for shots i am goin to print.Im no pro just a user opinion.The one of the pelican in fight made it into the PPG Gallery.Thnx
Paul
Attachment 23271

Attachment 23272
My girlfriend has the bought me the Magic Lantern Guide for the K20d for christmas lookin forward to reading it and learning more as i find the manuel not very good at explaining some things.

Last edited by trumpyman; 12-09-2008 at 07:02 PM.
12-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #52
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sharp Jpegs to say the least. May I ask what lens you were using?
12-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #53

I've owned a Pentax camera since the early 80's and overall very happy with the quality of the product. I know a National Geographic photographer and that's who I got my first camera from, he has always used Pentax

12-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #54
Inactive Account

sports no problem

Hi Magnum,sory i should have mentioned the shots are with the DA55-300MM.I thought id show some sports shots in Jpeg as well with the same lens.
Attachment 23291

Attachment 23293

Attachment 23292
THNX Paul

Last edited by trumpyman; 12-09-2008 at 07:02 PM.
12-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #55

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I purchased a k20d in late july (first dslr) and have nothing but praise for it.
I have a friend that uses a c c c 400d that she has taken some nice images with, but when she saw the k20d shots she decided that she wanted to change brands.
Other people have also comented on the quality of the images it produces.
Pentax was a bit of a late starter compared to c c c & n n n (sorry I don't like
bad language.) so of course they don't have as many accessories.
Just give them some time, The best is yet to come, IMO.
Now, there is one question I have, somehow my camera has a spec of dust
or something in the viewfinder or pentaprism somewhere.
It does not effect any images but it is annoying, has anyone had this
happen to there camera and can it be removed easy or is it a job that
needs to be done by a pro.
That 55-300 looks to be a nice lens.
12-05-2008, 03:21 AM   #56

My K100D flash died

I am a new member, so any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

My brother was a publisher for major daily newspapers for years. He swore by Pentax (film) cameras. He claimed they were built like tanks.

About two years ago, he got me a K100D for my birthday. It is a sweet camera. A month or two ago, I was photographing what was left of a fender after a Firestone tire failed on my vehicle. I was using the internal flash. All was going well until it made a loud snap (like a power transistor failing). The flash would not work again. It would not even let the camera work. With the flash closed, the camera works fine.

I sent it to Pentax. It was about 22 months old. They offered to fix it -- for about $270. Since that is about the price K100D bodies go for on ebay, I declined. Has anyone else had a problem with internal flashes dying? I am not sure if I want another Pentax or not. I doubt if I used the flash more than 100 times. I have taken good care of the camera -- never dropped or been in the weather.

Bill