Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Pentax equipment problems?
Yes, they have defective equipment. 118.15%
No. People don't take the time to learn. 6850.37%
Frankly, a little of both! 5641.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax problems?

I have been a Pentax owner for about 2 years. First with the K10D and now I have added the K20D. I am constantly amazed at the amount of threads dealing with problem concerning Pentax camera's.

So, are the majority of problems camera related or operator misunderstanding?

I am not trying to be a smart ass here. I'm just trying to understand all of questionable Pentax issues.

11-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
nah

Photos: Gallery
Well being a strictly Pentax discussion forums, this is the first place anyone with a problem would try to find help. There's not a product out there that has 100% QC, when there is a problem you definitely hear about, and when there isn't, you don't.

I think if you look at any other type of forum for Canon, Nikon, Sony, you will probably find the same type of issues. My 2 cents.
11-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I don't mean to sound rude in pointing this out, but my experience has always been that working in retail, you represent the be-all end-all to everyone's problem, and it doesn't matter how good the QC. There are support staff waiting for your phone call from any one of these companies, there are detailed instruction manuals shipped with the vast majority of name-brand products, and some products even come with in-home service (such as large TVs). Regardless of all of this, people still come to my store and expect me to spend half an hour showing them how to turn their TV on while other customers get frustrated that they have to wait.

[rant] It's ridiculous. If your equipment doesn't perform as it says in the manual, then yes, there is something wrong with it. Seek service. If you can't figure out how to operate it, the manual is an excellent place to start. And 99% of the people that do come in perplexed about their equipment have never even touched it. I think the most frustrating bit is when you do help these people, they never let you know if you actually solved their problem, which means the next time you have a customer who has the same issue, you're back to square one trying to solve it. Just to call us up and let us know it worked would be wonderful. Likewise, on a forum, it would be nice if the OP posted their response to our trouble-shooting so that we know for next time. How long does it take?

It's not laziness that's to blame all the time, but it sure seems to play a part most of the time. Why are people afraid of a little reading and a 1-800 number? Why are people that afraid of technology? [/endrant]

Last edited by drewdlephone; 11-27-2008 at 12:07 PM.
11-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #4

I've no idea how many digital Pentax cameras exist out there, but if there are 1% which are problematic that'd still be a huge number so it'd look like a BIG problem. If those of us who were regularly having no problems and posting about it you'd see a bit more of a balance, but who many people would do that and how 'interesting' would that be to read about?

Bit like the news really. Repeat the same story multiple times a day (on the hour, on multiple channels) and the upshot is it looks like a bigger problem than it actually is.

Same with anything mass produced. There are always going to be 'rogues' and the news producers like 'rogues' as it's a better story. Coupled with that is the £/$ you've spend on your kit - £550 (UK) ish for a K20d body only. I'd kick up a right stink if I'd shelled out that on a 'rogue'.

Anyway, which headline would you be most drawn to?

1. "Things are really quite quiet..."

2. "Outrage!!! Danger!!! Camera battery explodes!!!"

I might get round to reading #1, but I'd start with #2

Last edited by HouseOfHorla; 11-27-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: <b> tags
11-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am quite happy with my Pentax K10D. There has been quite a bit of learning and I knew that going in coming from a manual film camera. Lots of dials, autoexposure modes, JPEG's, RAW,.........Then there has been the PP learning curve also. It's been exactly a year since I bought my camera, Thanksgiving weekend last year. I have taken several thousand shots and with that experience my photos are improving. It would be safe to say that I have taken more digital shots in the last year than I took with my last several years with film cameras. I think far too many people buy a DSLR (any brand) and expect instant perfect results when they would be much better off with a high end point and shoot. While its possible another camera brand may get some better results banging off snapshots in full auto mode ( I have had good results with my Pentax in "green" too) , the capability of the camera is wasted if thats all you do. To use a DSLR to its potential, one has to learn about exposure, ISO, shutter speed, depth of field.... etc. Otherwise the auto functions of the camera "average" everything and the result is "average" photos.
11-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #6

My first K10 was shot. The shutter release button had a malfunction/would turn the camera off. I immediately got a replacement.

My second K10D was fine until an unexplained electrical malfunction happened when the camera could no longer display the correct aperture. A 2 month repair.

Other than that, everything has been fine. You win some, you lose some, but you still shoot Pentax. Every camera company has problematic equipment. That's the nature of this stuff unfortunately.
11-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #7

The only issue I had was when shooting a wedding with my K10D and DA* 50-135 lens. All of the sudden the lens internal motor stopped working, however the camera's motor kicked in. I contacted Pentax and they asked for the camera and lens to look at it. Turns out it was an issue with the camera, but they rebuilt the camera with new sensor etc, for NOTHING!!

Yeah, things take a dive, but they really stepped up and took care of it.

Other than that, never had a problem with the equipment and I've been using their stuff since the *ist D days. To me it's very reliable stuff!

Jamie

11-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #8

Forgot to say, the lens and camera were out of warranty and they still did it for free!!!
11-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Let me add to what nah had to say.
This is a pentax board and people will post problems with pentax here. I've never seen anyone who bought something and took the time to post that there product works. Yes there are post of there product in action, but they don't really count because we overlook it. But when something bad goes wrong, it is stands out.
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Let me add to what nah had to say.
This is a pentax board and people will post problems with pentax here. I've never seen anyone who bought something and took the time to post that there product works. Yes there are post of there product in action, but they don't really count because we overlook it. But when something bad goes wrong, it is stands out.
Actually there many places here that are filled with posts about Pentax cameras that work. Its called the Photo Gallery and the several other Post your Photos, contests, mini challenges, etc all over the forum.
11-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

In 30+ years with Pentax, I can recall only two indicents with defective stuff.

Incident 1) When purchased FA 28/200 zoom lens for my PZ1P (some years ago), the AF went crazy. Went back to store and tested another sample. New one was working fine. Seems the first lens was defective.

Incident 2) After more than a year of having and using my Pentax WP point & shoot, I found a firmware update for it in the Pentax web page. Decided to go ahead and update firmware. After that, camera went crazy. It wouldn't turn off and nothing will work. Solution: It was fixed at local pentax dealer under warranty.

Besides that, I've had numerous incidents of malfunctioning things, but every case was to blame on me, because some bad adjustment, bad lens mounting, user error, bad batteries, etc.

Think about this. If we had as many errors with our Pentax system as "blue screens" with our Windows based computers.... well, enough said
11-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Actually there many places here that are filled with posts about Pentax cameras that work. Its called the Photo Gallery and the several other Post your Photos, contests, mini challenges, etc all over the forum.
Yes I know but many people overlook that. What I am trying to say is no one will make a post and say there camera works because it is something that is expected.
11-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #13

In a way I have to agree with drewdlephone. I also worked in retail for many years and the big joke was the we should take out the manuals and charge extra for them. I could not tell you how many times over the years that I got questions that could have been answered by simply reading the first couple of pages in a user's manual. I myself am guilty many times over of not reading manuals; but when I run into a problem it is the first thing I look at.

As for Pentax, I own a K100D and a couple of other Pentax film cameras. That; in and of itself isn't that big of a deal. However, up until three years ago I had owned only Cannon equipment for over twenty years. I was getting ready to get into DSLR camera and finally did some research and hear nothing but good things about Pentax so I sold all my Cannon equipment for Pentax and have not looked back. I am hoping this soon to be able to spend a year in Europe and will be upgrading to the K20D.
11-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think most DSLR newcomers are simply lazy and expect the camera to do everything for them.

I've never had a single problem with any of my Pentax equipment. Not even the 30-year-old one.
11-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Problems are meant to be solved on forums like these, that's basically what they're for. I'm really glad that I've stayed on this forum so long that I can actually help others!
But this was not initially the problem of this thread. The question was: "So, are the majority of problems camera related or operator misunderstanding?"
Most probably operator misunderstanding.

But that's why we're here!

edit: question, not problem.