Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #1

K200 HDR - Bracketing

How is this setup in the K200? Am I missing something, i've been through all of the menus, can't seem to find it. It takes three exposures with three different settings, as can be setup in the custom settings menu. But I can't make it take the actual three exposures.

I assume that it makes one image with the three pictures but that they can be broken apart so as to also be manipulated by the user in PS... Though I could be wrong... Sorry if this is an obvious question. I've spent the past half hour with my camera trying to figure this feature out...

11-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe on the k200 you must actually trip the shutter 3 separate times and the camera adjusts each frame to the parameters you have set. You then have 3 bracketed shots that you can combine in post processing. I don't own a k200d but if I am incorrect someone will come along and straighten me out I am sure!
11-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I believe on the k200 you must actually trip the shutter 3 separate times and the camera adjusts each frame to the parameters you have set. You then have 3 bracketed shots that you can combine in post processing. I don't own a k200d but if I am incorrect someone will come along and straighten me out I am sure!
Ok...thanks for that info...I usually shoot in shutter priority, How do i put it into the mode so that I can trip the shutter three separate times... (and thus setup the HDR shots) IE, i'm assuming the camera does the 3 separate exposures; it has that option available in its menu.
11-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Since I don't own the k200d I am not able to tell you exactly how to set the camera. I did search the official pentax site for the manual pdf file and see that it talks about bracketing on page 124. In reading the two pages of the manual, I see that the bracketed shots will be shot with one shutter release, not as I said before. You can download the manual at this link if you don't have one. Go to product support and then manuals for the download.
K200D Digital SLR - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
Look on page 124 and 125 and you'll be off and shooting bracketed images.

11-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks so much! I will use this thread for my first good one!
11-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #6

hi, i use a k200d, and the bracketing setting is in the fn menu, then press up to see the drive mode, then single, continuous, and bracketing. pick that and when you take the shot, hold the shutter down after focus and it takes 3 shots in succession (keep holding shutter down), and it will take each at diff exposure depending on the auto bracketing settings.

hope that helps. i dont have my camera in front of me, but from what i remember thats the way to go.
11-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

One other thing that might be unclear:

Since you use the term "HDR", I just wanted to make sure you aren't confusing the exposure bracketing function with the D-range function. The two have nothing to do with each other. Exposure bracketing is a technique left over from the film days to help make sure that at least one of every scene comes out well exposed, since there was of course no way to check this on the LCD after the shot. You take three (or more shots) at different exposures and hope one of them worked. The idea that multiple shots could then be combined to form one HDR shot is a much more recent idea, and I don't think the manula makes any mention of this possibility. The "D-range" feature is a totally unrelated way of achieving the goal of an HDR image: ratehr than take three exposures and combine them, it takes one that is underexposed but plays with the post-processing of the image to create the effect of an HDR image.
11-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter

One other thing, I recommend you use Aperture priority when bracketing exposures. This way, your depth of field remains constant, which will come in handy when blending the image files.