Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
Closed Account

Curious question - do Pentax have an internal battery?

I was just reading an article about someone replacing the internal battery on their Canon.

I was curious, do Pentax cameras have an internal battery (the size of a watch battery) that retains settings?

07-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #2

Short answer: yes.

There have been several recent threads and many old ones on this subject (search for losing time and date or seiko ms414):

Maintainance of CMOS or memory or backup-battery - PentaxForums.com
Why you shouldn't store your Pentax without the main battery - PentaxForums.com
07-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would be interesting to see a list of what cameras use a capacitor instead of an interal battery. As I understand a capacitor is smaller and drains much quicker. I believe Olympus only uses capacitors and lose date and time after only 24 hours which might be a good trade off for a small hiking camera.
I could be confused, searching hasn't revealed very much info.
07-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
It would be interesting to see a list of what cameras use a capacitor instead of an interal battery. As I understand a capacitor is smaller and drains much quicker. I believe Olympus only uses capacitors and lose date and time after only 24 hours which might be a good trade off for a small hiking camera.
I could be confused, searching hasn't revealed very much info.
I’ve not heard that, it is interesting, though I have to believe it has to be much longer than 24 hours. That would be really annoying.

07-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #5

I would have thought (hoped?) that the more modern models would use flash memory to eliminate the battery.

Not so for the K30, a fellow on YouTube that shows how to replace the K30’s battery.
Pain in the bahuki.

07-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
though I have to believe it has to be much longer than 24 hours. That would be really annoying.
According to a dpreview thread the manual for the EM 5ii states
- The date and time settings will be returned to the factory default settings if the camera is left without the battery for approximately 1 day. The settings will be cancelled more quickly if the battery was only loaded in the camera for a short time before being removed. Before taking important pictures, check that the date and time settings are correct."

Also in a thread here @Adam states the kp has a capacitor. Though he might have meant a generic memory holding device.
07-01-2021, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoaki Quote
I would have thought (hoped?) that the more modern models would use flash memory to eliminate the battery.

Not so for the K30, a fellow on YouTube that shows how to replace the K30’s battery.
Pain in the bahuki.

https://youtu.be/nURzWoZgnh4
Things like custom settings are retained when the battery dies, indicating flash memory is used to store those settings.
I'm not a computer genius, nor do I play one on TV, so I don't know how a clock could run without a power source.

07-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me realising that I have been storing my K-5 without a battery in it for a couple of years (fully expecting to use but not using it since K-1) :-(
07-01-2021, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Me realising that I have been storing my K-5 without a battery in it for a couple of years (fully expecting to use but not using it since K-1) :-(
I did the same thing to my K3. It's not even like I don't have plenty if spare batteries. It just wasn't something I gave any thought to.
07-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Things like custom settings are retained when the battery dies, indicating flash memory is used to store those settings.
I'm not a computer genius, nor do I play one on TV, so I don't know how a clock could run without a power source.

You’re absolutely right about the real-time clock! Got have a supercap or battery for those.
Maybe you are a computer genius …

Forgot about that bugger. Although, it’s a lot harder to remember all those settings optimized by painful trial and error than the time of day. I would probably live with the wrong time.

07-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
According to a dpreview thread the manual for the EM 5ii states
- The date and time settings will be returned to the factory default settings if the camera is left without the battery for approximately 1 day. The settings will be cancelled more quickly if the battery was only loaded in the camera for a short time before being removed. Before taking important pictures, check that the date and time settings are correct."

Also in a thread here @Adam states the kp has a capacitor. Though he might have meant a generic memory holding device.
Wow, that’s crazy!
07-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just keep a charged battery in my K50 that I rarely use.
07-01-2021, 05:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I was told the Sony A7 will only charge the internal battery when the battery is charged in camera via usb. If you use an external battery charger you never recharge the internal battery.
In their words.
"Eventually the date and time settings cleared on the A7 even when turned on with a fresh battery installed and would not save the settings, losing them when the camera was switched off and back on again.

As it turns out, I needed to charge the main battery while inside the camera with a USB cable connected to a power source."
07-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Afaik, the *ist D is the only Pentax dslr to use a button cell battery to store date/time. This cell doesn't seem to affect any other settings in my experience.
07-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep in mind that the internal battery or super-cap is there to allow the time to be maintained while the main battery is changed out. It's not intended to keep the time accurate forever or even for extended periods (and definitely not for cases where the camera is stored without a main battery). Having 24 hours to complete a battery change out is a luxury. In most cases, that backup battery is recharged and maintained by the main battery and the time is maintained by the main battery under normal conditions. It's when you lose the current time changing out the main battery (taking only a couple of minutes) that the backup becomes an issue and may need to be replaced. If it still keeps the time memory for 2 or 24 hours, there's not much to worry about.