Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #31
Pentaxian

My cameras don't have names, but there is a shelf in our house we call Michellelf.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 07-02-2021 at 04:03 PM.
07-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

HHHmmm. Not really, I mean, Pentax, of course, but I'll distinguish them by model. Grabbing the K-1 etc.
07-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Well, K-1 and K-3. Duh?
Haha! Of course but besides that!

---------- Post added 07-02-21 at 05:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aerolycea Quote
Ive never named a camera or lens, as they are merely tools to be used in order for me to complete the job at hand. Would you give a name to your screwdriver or hammer? These are simply tools, no reason to become emotionally attached to them. I find it strange that there are photographers who.....sorry, just kidding. Yeah, my old K1000 has been named Freddie for nearly 30 years. Good friend, that Freddie. My K70 is usually referred to as Sally Mae.
Love it! In all honesty the only things Ive named are my camera and my first car. Many times Emilia would take road trips solo! haha
07-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My camera has a model name, but I've called it several different names whenever I take a bad shot.

07-03-2021, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My wife calls it 'expensive'.

Last edited by cdd29; 07-03-2021 at 05:34 AM.
07-05-2021, 08:24 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Bodies no… lenses yes, all mine are full blown Harem members.
Yours was the response I was looking for, Kerrowdown, since I knew all your lenses had names! :-)
07-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
The only tools that get names are the ones on a network - and that is only so I can identify them by something other than a code like an IP address or serial number. The rest fall into the bucket of "my <manufacture's model name> + some additional label if I have multiples" or "the <manufacture's name> I used to own"... the only sentimental value I place on inanimate objects are for their positive performance - - and I am not hesitant to replace a tool with something better. And the older I get the more I am willing to part with non-performing (for me) collectible objects.

Least you think me emotionless, I have strong sentimental attachment to animate things like pets (present and past), my spouse (only one for 42 years), and other family & friends.

And the third category.... images. So long as I have a means of exactly reproducing an image, I have little sentiment for a specific displayed print. In fact, I recently went to pains to reproduce a pair of 16X20 prints I gave to my wife back in our school days and have always hung on her, and for 42 years our, walls. Can't let those memories fade like the original prints - especially as the locations no longer exist. My negatives, transparencies and digital work are all carefully stored.

07-05-2021, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
Yours was the response I was looking for, Kerrowdown, since I knew all your lenses had names! :-)
I’m pleased I didn’t disappoint…
07-05-2021, 06:28 PM   #39
Pentaxian

They don't have names, but when talking about them I tend to refer to the GR III as the little camera, the K1II as the big camera.
07-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #40

Yes, I named my K-70 "Springblossom" after the exploration ship from the X universe, but also because I got it in spring.
07-05-2021, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
They don't have names, but when talking about them I tend to refer to the GR III as the little camera, the K1II as the big camera.
I sometimes call my K3 II the big camera. With the battery grip, it's big'ish.
07-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
So I'm just wondering has anyone else given their camera a name? I currently have a beautiful K1 and her name is Emilia. And I have to say I take Emilia everywhere! If anyone else has the same sentiment I would love to hear about it as well as any stories!
Nope, only their model name and maybe its color (silver or black).
07-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I name instruments and vehicles, but haven't thought about naming cameras for some reason. There was another thread in which someone suggested that K3iii might be nicknamed "The Katie", which I could get on-board with, but there was no consensus. I haven't tried it yet, to see how it feels. I'm still reading the manual and scrolling through the menus, so at this point "Ms. Katherine" would be more appropriate.
07-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I name instruments and vehicles, but haven't thought about naming cameras for some reason. There was another thread in which someone suggested that K3iii might be nicknamed "The Katie", which I could get on-board with, but there was no consensus. I haven't tried it yet, to see how it feels. I'm still reading the manual and scrolling through the menus, so at this point "Ms. Katherine" would be more appropriate.
Hahah I understand the sentiment. Personally the only things that Ive named are vehicles and cameras.
07-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I haven't tried it yet, to see how it feels. I'm still reading the manual and scrolling through the menus, so at this point "Ms. Katherine" would be more appropriate.
I think I laughed too much at this. Lol