Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traveling to Iceland

Im traveling to Iceland this winter aproximately from late december into early January. Would love any advice and gear recommendations

07-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You won't have much daylight so be prepared. I have not been there, but it seems as though you should have easy access to sunrises and sunsets if it is not totally overcast. The photos I have seen are a lot of beautiful scenery. I think it would call for you favorite lenses that you use for landscapes, tripod, and ND filter if you want to slow flowing water.
07-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this looks interesting

QuoteQuote:
Are you coming to Iceland in December? Read about the ever changing light and conditions here from a photographer's perspective!

Even though December is the darkest month in Iceland this month is all about light. During winter time days get shorter in Iceland with less light because of the country´s high latitude. That means that the longest day in the middle of December is only 5 hours of light maximum. Sunrise is around 11 AM and sunset between 3 and 4 PM. . . .

Yes, weather in Iceland is unpredictable and you could face blizzard, sleet, rain, snow or even storm. Even so December is a magical time to visit this island up in the North and for me as a photographer a favourite month in terms of light. The light is extremely soft where sunrise and sunset almost meet each other giving you the best soft colours you could wish for. . . .
https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/jorunnsg/december-light-in-iceland

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-09-2021 at 02:08 PM.
07-09-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes , incredible Island and every Icelander speaks English very well.
They do not officially use Euro but in practice , in most places Yes.
Visiting Iceland | Icelandair

07-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Are you comfortable working in climate conditions which make condensation possible to likely?
07-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Iceland seems to be the hottest photo destination nowadays.
07-09-2021, 06:22 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Unregistered User

I've been there seven times, in March, April, October and November. December and January is darker but usually not much colder near the ocean.

Never had any issues with my Pentax gear, WR is great to have. Days are short but the light is great—very dramatic. It can be very windy. Dress in layers, with a water and wind proof outer jacket. The most important thing to have is the link to the Icelandic weather site: Home-page - Icelandic Meteorological Office | Icelandic Meteorological office
I can't emphasize this enough! The weather is very changeable and can be dangerous if you are out in the countryside.The site linked above is excellent, much better than any other I've used, study it before you go, learn how to use the sliders to predict the weather for the next 48 hours. Don't go mucking about on glaciers or in the highlands without a guide and expedition gear. If you are going to be shooting the Auroras, you will need a wide, fast lens that has a flat field at infinity. Check your lenses for infinity focus before you go! The auroras span the sky, sometimes from horizon to horizon.
Have fun, Reykjavík is a fun city with a lot of culture- music, art, museums, etc, most of it is in easy walking distance. The countryside is beautiful, of course, the winter light is magical.

07-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #8

Lucky you. You will love it so much.
Credit card can be used everywhere, even in public toilets, yes you have to pay for it I did exchanged some cash but really no need for cash.
Very cold and windy. Some locals have advised if you rent a car, you may consider to take insurance for the paint of the car as well because the wind at some beaches so strong, the sand can damage the paint of your car.
For aurora, I believe you need wide angle lens (20/14mm...) with large aperture. the aurora is magnificent event to see and it has embedded in my mind forever. If you have FF camera it will be great.
And warmest clothes you have

For the diamond beach, I have learnt from someone to bring rubber boots, water-proof trousers, sticky tape. Wear the water-proof trousers outside the rubber boots then tape the trousers hard to the boots. By this way you can go to to water to take photos of the ice on the beach. Otherwise you need to stay dry away from water.

Hope this help.

Cheers and have a great preparation,
07-09-2021, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You won't have much daylight so be prepared. I have not been there, but it seems as though you should have easy access to sunrises and sunsets if it is not totally overcast. The photos I have seen are a lot of beautiful scenery. I think it would call for you favorite lenses that you use for landscapes, tripod, and ND filter if you want to slow flowing water.
yeah haha about 5 hours a day. The idea is to chase the northern lights as well as the different sights. The trip was planned around the new moon.

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 08:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
Are you comfortable working in climate conditions which make condensation possible to likely?
comfortable in all conditions! I went with Pentax because its the best for that! haha

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 08:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Iceland seems to be the hottest photo destination nowadays.
Its been number 1 on my bucket list since I was 10 haha so excited Im finally going!

---------- Post added 07-09-21 at 09:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I've been there seven times, in March, April, October and November. December and January is darker but usually not much colder near the ocean.

Never had any issues with my Pentax gear, WR is great to have. Days are short but the light is great—very dramatic. It can be very windy. Dress in layers, with a water and wind proof outer jacket. The most important thing to have is the link to the Icelandic weather site: Home-page - Icelandic Meteorological Office | Icelandic Meteorological office
I can't emphasize this enough! The weather is very changeable and can be dangerous if you are out in the countryside.The site linked above is excellent, much better than any other I've used, study it before you go, learn how to use the sliders to predict the weather for the next 48 hours. Don't go mucking about on glaciers or in the highlands without a guide and expedition gear. If you are going to be shooting the Auroras, you will need a wide, fast lens that has a flat field at infinity. Check your lenses for infinity focus before you go! The auroras span the sky, sometimes from horizon to horizon.
Have fun, Reykjavík is a fun city with a lot of culture- music, art, museums, etc, most of it is in easy walking distance. The countryside is beautiful, of course, the winter light is magical.
Thanks for the tips! Any specific lens in particular you would recommend??
This my current gear list:
-pentax K1 w/grip
-DFA 50mm f1.4
-FA 35-105 f3.5

aspc lenses
-HD 55-300 wr
-HD 20-40 ltd
-Rokinon 16mm f2

possible prospects are the DFA15-30 and the DFA 150-450 and of course any you might recommend. Thanks again!
07-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hailua66 Quote
Lucky you. You will love it so much.
Credit card can be used everywhere, even in public toilets, yes you have to pay for it I did exchanged some cash but really no need for cash.
Very cold and windy. Some locals have advised if you rent a car, you may consider to take insurance for the paint of the car as well because the wind at some beaches so strong, the sand can damage the paint of your car.
For aurora, I believe you need wide angle lens (20/14mm...) with large aperture. the aurora is magnificent event to see and it has embedded in my mind forever. If you have FF camera it will be great.
And warmest clothes you have

For the diamond beach, I have learnt from someone to bring rubber boots, water-proof trousers, sticky tape. Wear the water-proof trousers outside the rubber boots then tape the trousers hard to the boots. By this way you can go to to water to take photos of the ice on the beach. Otherwise you need to stay dry away from water.

Hope this help.

Cheers and have a great preparation,
Thank you for the tips I had not thought of the waterproof trousers. Thought the rubber boot would be enough but you even gave me more photo ideas! Much appreciated!
07-10-2021, 12:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And for pity’s sake don’t don’t DON’T walk or climb on the lava field at the currently active Fagradalfjall volcano (probably spelled that wrong). WR won’t stop you burning to a crisp should you fall through the crust. Seriously!
07-10-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hailua66 Quote
Some locals have advised if you rent a car, you may consider to take insurance for the paint of the car as well because the wind at some beaches so strong, the sand can damage the paint of your car.
One reason I am not universally against using protective filters (of the highest quality multi-coated) on some of my lenses, even if WR or AW.
07-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
And for pity’s sake don’t don’t DON’T walk or climb on the lava field at the currently active Fagradalfjall volcano (probably spelled that wrong). WR won’t stop you burning to a crisp should you fall through the crust. Seriously!
Hahah noted even tho I wasnt planning to. The volcano will probably be one the last places I visit there.

---------- Post added 07-10-21 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
One reason I am not universally against using protective filters (of the highest quality multi-coated) on some of my lenses, even if WR or AW.
Completely agree. Well I for the most part have my CPL filters live on my lenses.
07-10-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been fortunate enough to visit seventy nine countries and counting, but Iceland remains my favourite of all of them. The geology and colour palette is like nowhere else on the planet. The frozen Gulfos waterfall at sunrise is unforgettable.

You can expect minus 10 on a good day with wind chill taking off another ten, so practice taking pictures with your gloves on. Expect to walk on ice most of the time and take appropriate footwear. Ice below minus 9 is no more slippery than asphalt - it is the warmer unswept stuff in town that is out to get you. This is known...

The humidity and condensation is worst inside the vehicle or bus, when you get back in. Fog can appear behind your polariser or protection filter, as well as on the front of it.

You may want to invest in some spikes for your travel tripod, if it doesn't already have them.

Plus one on the advice to follow the Met Office. They even have an aurora forecast :Aurora forecast for Iceland | Aurora forecasts | Icelandic Meteorological office

Natural perspectives record your emotions best, so the first lens in my bag would be the one that most closely matches what I "see".

My pick on FF would be the DA55/1.4, with either a modified hood or a generic screw in type.
07-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In summer, Iceland is black and white and green owing to the basalt/lava mountains, icy glaciers, and green grasses and shrubs. In winter, I'd expect less green but you might get some stunning landscapes that are almost black-and-white but with a touch of tantalizing color. The most interesting colors are found in geothermal areas -- the mineralized earth and mud + snow + steaming mists could create some other worldly images.

Iceland has lots of fast-flowing waters and waterfalls -- I don't know if these freeze in winter or not. For the most part, it's easy to get close (too close) to Iceland's scenic, interesting, and hazardous natural features like geysers, glaciers, waterfalls, and volcanoes. Unlike in the US with its lawyers and city dwellers, Icelanders assume you know what you are doing. They tend not to build guard rails around every place where stupidity could lead to fatality. Of course, if you fall into a crevasse in a glacier, your family might need to wait 40 years for the bones to work their way out of the ice.

As for equipment, you'll probably use more wide angle and normal focal lengths than telephoto. Most of the seabirds winter elsewhere but maybe some Icelandic horses or a distant seashore promontory might benefit from telephoto. As others have mentioned, be prepared for all sorts of weather. Iceland is "warmed" by the Gulf Stream but that just means the weather is extremely volatile.

Have a great time -- it's a stunning landscape, other-worldly, and far from the madding crowds.