Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2021, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I've read so much about the color of the CCD sensor, I would go for one with that. I"ve thought of buying one just to try firsthand.
I think you might be pleased with this experiment. My K-5 IIs and KP produce wonderful images, but there is something a little magical about that CCD sensor in the K10D IMO. Call it 'pixie dust'. Just keep the ISO low.

07-13-2021, 04:47 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like I have my marching orders too for a camera with a CCD sensor.
07-14-2021, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Looks like I have my marching orders too for a camera with a CCD sensor.
It's worth playing with one. I get a lot of use from my K200D and K10D.

The K20D also had very good colors, and mikesbike is right, the pictures looked sharp with it. I particularly loved the skin tones. But if you do post processing with RAW the sensor dynamic range was too limited.

The following CMOS cameras, which all have Sony sensors, have not rendered colors to my liking, up to the K-3 (which needs a bit of work to get the colors to my taste). From the K-S1 on, it seems the Pentax CMOS treatment has mostly caught up, and the following cameras (K-S2, K-70, KP, K-3 III) have gotten progressively better. But CCD cameras still have some nuances in color transitions and in their capturing of luminance that seem to set it apart, so at the prices they go for these days, why not get one to play with?
07-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
It's worth playing with one. I get a lot of use from my K200D and K10D.

The K20D also had very good colors, and mikesbike is right, the pictures looked sharp with it. I particularly loved the skin tones. But if you do post processing with RAW the sensor dynamic range was too limited.

The following CMOS cameras, which all have Sony sensors, have not rendered colors to my liking, up to the K-3 (which needs a bit of work to get the colors to my taste). From the K-S1 on, it seems the Pentax CMOS treatment has mostly caught up, and the following cameras (K-S2, K-70, KP, K-3 III) have gotten progressively better. But CCD cameras still have some nuances in color transitions and in their capturing of luminance that seem to set it apart, so at the prices they go for these days, why not get one to play with?
I feel a GAS attack coming on.

Do you recall this thread that @BigMackCam posted?

Get "that CCD look" with the K-3 / K-3II and Lightroom - PentaxForums.com

07-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I feel a GAS attack coming on.

Do you recall this thread that @BigMackCam posted?

Get "that CCD look" with the K-3 / K-3II and Lightroom - PentaxForums.com
Yes, I do... but since I don't use Lightroom, I was never really able to try these settings out.

I do get OK results from RawTherapee - there's a couple of film emulations in HaldClut that I think turn the colors into something far more pleasing than what I get SOOC. Usually I have to fix the WB as well, it's usually on the cold side.
07-15-2021, 01:59 AM   #36
Pentaxian

That's a tough choice as all of these are a little old. The Km and K10D use the same sensor and between them I'd choose the K10D I think. I'd probably choose that over the K20D too.