Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2021, 04:16 AM   #1

My first camera with little budget

Hi everyone,

I look for your Pentax expert advice !

I begin the digital photography, and I search a camera. The problem ? I'm student and i have a little budget. I'm looking for a Pentax because in argentic photo, i was looving these camera.

So around me, i've found 3 different camera who fits perfect in my budget (150-200 euros). Theses three of them are :

- Pentax Km (120 euros) with standard lenses from Pentax 18-55 and 50-200
- Pentax K10D (140 euros) with standard lenses Pentax 18-55
- Pentax K20 (200 euros, my maximum) with a TAMRON AF 18-200 lenses

I've search some information on this camera, but i don't really see who's the best. Can you help me to make the good choice ?
How many shots are acceptable for them ? 10 000 ? 30 000 ?

Thanks,

07-12-2021, 04:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fr_pen Quote
Hi everyone,

I look for your Pentax expert advice !

I begin the digital photography, and I search a camera. The problem ? I'm student and i have a little budget. I'm looking for a Pentax because in argentic photo, i was looving these camera.

So around me, i've found 3 different camera who fits perfect in my budget (150-200 euros). Theses three of them are :

- Pentax K20 (200 euros, my maximum) with a TAMRON AF 18-200 lenses

I've search some information on this camera, but i don't really see who's the best. Can you help me to make the good choice ?

How many shots are acceptable for them ? 10 000 ? 30 000 ?

Thanks,
I would buy the K10D. It has a great CCD sensor that renders beautiful images. The K20d I believe changed to CMOS with has better ISO range and more MP but I'd still take the K10D. I'd avoid the K-x. It's not as well made as the other 2 as it was an inexpensive entry level camera when it came out, while the other 2 were top models when they came out. I have the 18-55 and the Tamron 18-200. Both are ok. I find the Tamron a bit soft at the higher focal lengths. If you need more reach, for the difference in price, pick up a 50-200 Pentax or a Sigma 70-300 apo. I paid $32 for the sigma.

Number of shots? I'd shoot for 30,000 or less but if the camera is really clean and we'll cared for I'd consider higher.

Oh I misspoke...not the K-x it's the K-m. The K-m is the same camera as the K2000 which was my first DSLR. I think they were well made and much better than the K-x in my opinion. The K-m has the same sensor as the K10D. I'd still go for the K10D though.

Last edited by tonyzoc; 07-12-2021 at 06:37 AM.
07-12-2021, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #3

Bonjour et bienvenue,

A mon avis, un des 2 moins chers pourrait convenir. Ce qui te laisserait un peu de budget pour acheter un objectif supplémentaire (par exemple un 50mm f/1.7 manuel pour le plaisir de la mise au point manuelle et d'un rendu plus joli que les zooms).
D'ailleurs, si tu as utilisé un Pentax argentique tu as peut-être déjà un ou plusieurs objectifs en monture K, ils sont tous compatibles avec les réflex numériques de la marque, il ne faut pas s'en priver !

Une alternative, si ce n'est pas urgent, serait de continuer à guetter les prix et chercher un K-5 bien utilisé. C'est probablement possible à trouver autour de 200€. Là, tu aurais vraiment une montée en gamme et un super boîtier proche des standards d'aujourd'hui.
Jusqu'à 30.000, même 50.000 déclenchements, voire plus si ils ont été utilisés avec soin il n'y a pas de quoi s'inquiéter.

Bonne chance !
07-12-2021, 04:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for the K-10 or the K-20. The CCD sensor of the K-10 has beautiful colour rendering, but only at low ISOs. When I had one, I tried to stay below ISO 400 with 800 as the absolute maximum. The K-20 is usable at somewhat higher ISOs.
I think these cameras had a nominal shutter lifetime rating of 100000 actuations. Many of them get at least close to the rated lifetime, and some even well beyond.
But you really need to check the gear carefully.

07-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I vote for the K10D or K20D as well. Price of the K10D is a bit high from European perspective . The K20D is a newer camera and you get probably a nicer lens with it. But if you come across a Samsung GX10 or GX20 they are worth considering as well. They are siblings of the K10D and K20D. usually they are a bit cheaper. You can put all Pentax lenses on them just like the Pentax ones you are thinking of. The advantage of the K10D is the ccd sensor, which gives a more film like result in my opinion. The Pentax 18-55 is a well regarded kit-lens, I myself think it is a very good lens and the fun of that lens is that is has some kind of macro capabitlity. I made some nice close-ups with it. In the end: buy the K10D, it will not disappoint you.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 07-12-2021 at 07:23 AM. Reason: additonal information added
07-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #6

Looking at flickr black and white photographs taken with the K10D vs various other options convinced me to purchase a K10D:

Search: pentax k10d | Flickr
07-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fr_pen Quote
. . . So around me, i've found 3 different camera who fits perfect in my budget (150-200 euros). Theses three of them are :

- Pentax K20 (200 euros, my maximum) with a TAMRON AF 18-200 lenses . . .
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

this link allows you to compare each of those side by side

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K10D&...ax+K-m%2FK2000

these links lead to " owners reviews " of each camera

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K10D was the first DSLR from Pentax to feature a sensor with a resolution higher than 6 megapixels. It also launched a host of new innovative features which would later become standard on all Pentax bodies, such as Shake Reduction and Dust Removal.

It won the Camera Grand Prix Japan "Camera of the Year" award in 2007, and a special brown version with gold lettering was produced to commemorate this.

Camera Manuals:

Operating Manual
Software Manual (Pentax Photo Browser 3, Pentax Photo Laboratory 3)
Read more at: Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K20D was the successor to the K10D. It featured the same body with a higher resolution and new features, including Live View.

A limited "Titanium" edition of the camera was produced in 2009.

Camera Manuals:

Operating Manual
Software Manual (Pentax Remote Assistant 3)

Read more at: Pentax K20D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The 10 MP K-m was introduced in 2009. In some markets it was called the K2000. It replaced the 6 MP K100D series of entry level cameras.

See how the K-m/K2000 fares amongst its siblings: Pentax K-x, K-m/K2000 and K200D compared

Camera Manuals:

Operating Manual

Read more at: Pentax K-m/K2000 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

07-12-2021, 06:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

K20D looks a bit costly, but the Tamron superzoom is the plus side.

If I were you I would buy the K10D and use the remaining money to add a used telephoto of the 55-300 variety (not the PLM).
07-12-2021, 06:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K20D is kinda expensive, but me thinks that the superzoom is OK but not wonderful.

Get the K10D. I have a K200D with the same sensor that still serves me well. For the sixty euros in change you can get a nice lens to supplement the 18-55 kit lens.
07-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would get K10D , I still have mine.
Lenses both used :
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-5-dc-macro.html
Pentax DA 18-250
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-18-250mm-F3.5-6.3-Zoom-Lens.html
Both good , I still have both of them.
In Australia you can get one for not much above AU$100
07-12-2021, 06:28 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

many of us find these charts to be helpful:

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

and like many others, I also bought the K 10D for its CCD sensor

QuoteQuote:
The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club...
Not too many people shoot them anymore, as no one's making them at this point... but the CCD sensor cameras have a loyal following (some would say obsession) from its fans (crazy? luddites?).

The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club... - Page 61 - PentaxForums.com
QuoteQuote:
The K10D Club!
Hello All,
This thread is dedicated to a very important part of the Pentax DSLR history; The venerable K10D.
The 'Ten' is significant in many ways; Introduced in late 2006, it featured a CCD sensor of 10.2MP, ISO range of 100-1600 and had AF assist with SDM lenses. It was the first Pentax DSLR with shake reduction, dust removal, had 2 control wheels and used a D-L150 lithium battery rather than 4 x AA's. These were all upgrades from the previous flagship model, the *ist DS2. It came in a sturdy, somewhat squared-off body design that contrasted with the popular curved designs of the time. There was an optional BG2 battery grip available which doubled the shooting time, had a vertical-position shutter release and duplicated the main exposure controls and wheels in portrait orientation.
The K10D garnered great reviews from many testers and won several major awards, including the 'Best Expert Digital SLR' 2007 from TIPA, European Camera Of The Year, American Photo's Editor's Choice for 'Best Advanced Digital SLR' and the prestigious Camera Grand Prix 'Camera Of The Year' 2007. This award resulted in a limited edition brown 'Grand Prix' version by Pentax, released in 2007.
It was succeeded by the K20D in 2008.
The MSRP for the K10D at launch was $1,379 US and the 'street' price around $900 - $1,000. The kit lens offered was the first version of the DA 18-55mm.
In features, MP and price, it compared to the Sony a100, Nikon D80, Canon Rebel XTi and Olympus E400. But the performance soon had it being tested (favorably!) against higher-priced models of the competition, like the Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D.
By modern standards, the specs are quite modest. AF sensitivity -1 to 18 EV, shutter speed 30s to 1/4000s, burst shooting rate 3 fps in jpeg, no HDR, no LV, no video capabilities, no lens correction, no TTL. The high-ISO performance is lacking, compared to the contemporary cameras.
Still, over time the respect for this fine digital body has grown widely. Used within its limitations, the CCD sensor delivers RAW images that are truly magical and if the ISO is kept at the lower end, the colors, saturation and rendering are unmatched for beauty. It can be, under ideal conditions, more film-like in rendering than most CMOS-equipped cameras, even the most modern ones.
Hopefully this thread will provide a place for K10D users to discuss their experiences, and post examples of photos taken with the Ten.
The K10D lives on!
Ron

The K10D Club! - Page 492 - PentaxForums.com
07-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I started with a K20D. I was glad I had all the physical controls on the body and while the lack of "scene modes" meant that my first pictures were bad a lot of times, it forced me to learn. It also made me learn to shoot in RAW, though the JPEG engine is actually useable. After a while, the sensor limitations did start to hinder me - specifically the lack of dynamic range - you just can't take a picture in full sun with hard shadows and pull details out of the shadows even at ISO 100 - it's full of (ugly) noise. It's a lot of color noise, the worst and ugliest kind. Even the K10D/K-m has better dynamic range and can easily handle those situations and allow you to pull a decent amount of detail from shadows - at low ISO of course.

So I personally ended up selling the K20D and the K10D is still one of my cameras, I like that body a lot even though it shows its age and is a bit slower to operate. I have a K200D (sort of a "middle term" between a K10D and the K-m, they all have the 10MP CCD sensor) and I like that even better.

The K-m has the same great 10MP CCD that the K10D has, and should actually be a bit faster to operate, and it has a decent PEG engine so it should be easier to get started with, but it won't offer all the physical controls. I don't think the build quality is a problem - I've handled one before and it's built well like all Pentax bodies (no Weather Resistance though, so keep away from rain and splashes...)

The truth is that any camera on that list would allow you to learn the basics of exposure (they all have a Manual mode) and composition. Even the K20D would be a good option and would teach you a lot and don't get me wrong, you can get great pictures from it as well. I do like that with one of the older bodies you would probably have a bit of budget left to get a normal prime - like the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4. I think learning composition really is aided by having a normal prime. Plus, the f/2.4 aperture really helps with those older bodies where you can't really raise your ISO all that much. In my K20D days, the DA 35 2.4 was the most important lens in my setup and it really allowed me to take pictures at night and indoors and still get good results.
07-12-2021, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Km - OVF Pentamirror
K10D - OVF Pentaprism much better viewfinder , more convenient if you choose to use MF ( manual focus ) lenses
07-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eles Quote
Looking at flickr black and white photographs taken with the K10D vs various other options convinced me to purchase a K10D:

Search: pentax k10d | Flickr
Yes, but the strong point of the K10D's CCD is the rendering of colour! That is why this is the best buy.
07-12-2021, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #15
5ks
Pentaxian

Many useful answers and advice have already been given, but I vote for a little more patience in order to get a usable (used) copy of K-5. (I have one with shutter count ca. 30 000 and would not expect more than 150 euros if I sold it. And I might...) K-5 is far better than your three options and would probably serve you a lot longer if you get a copy with less than 40 000 - 50 000 actuations.

Then, a used copy of DA 18-55 WR should be found with ca. 50 euros at least in my country. Or, if you'd like to have better optical quality instead of the versatility of a zoom, DA 2,4/35 might be a good "normal" lens to start with.

For a first telezoom, DA 50-200 (WR) is a good lowcost option. Should be less than 100 euros 2nd hand.