Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #1

Camera bodies supporting time unlimited Live View?

A very long time lurker here. Hi All.

I've been attempting to use my K-5II for broadcasting, as it offers lovely image and I have a lot of Pentax lenses, but have run into a 5 minute Live View limit. User manual indicates that it is due to internal heat buildup.

Are there any budget K-mount bodies offering unlimited Live View?
Extra points for clean HDMI output.

07-12-2021, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PacMac Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

All Pentax dSLRs will shut down as the camera heats up. As for clean HDMI out, no Pentax digital camera provides that feature, per se.

Sorry

Steve
07-12-2021, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why not adapt to a mirror less camera, maybe an early gh model if the crop works for the focal lengths you have? Though mirror less doesn't necessarily imply no overheating,so check beforehand
07-12-2021, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would use a mirrorless model with a k mount adapter. If you're using an external mic away from the camera, I would keep a quite, small fan on the camera to help remove heat.

07-12-2021, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
(My) Pentax K-1 can stay in live view for 3 hours, until the battery is discharged, ~6 hours with battery grip attached. I used to wait for kingfishers and use live view as long lens extension, me standing a meter and half back from the camera, with camera pre-focused and watching live view zoomed in, then trigger the camera in hi burst mode with IR remote, 150-450 zoom @ 450 acting as a ~600mm lens.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-12-2021 at 09:32 PM.
07-12-2021, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PacMac Quote
A very long time lurker here. Hi All.

I've been attempting to use my K-5II for broadcasting, as it offers lovely image and I have a lot of Pentax lenses, but have run into a 5 minute Live View limit. User manual indicates that it is due to internal heat buildup.

Hi! As others stated, LV can be on with more recent cameras as long as your battery will have juice in it. For clean HDMI, it is not available. You’ll have to crop the image a bit, which will be needed for 16:9 anyway.

That said, there might be better cameras for that, as stated, m4/3 with K-mount adapter. I’m using also that route as I have black magic 4K for broadcasting and live streaming. It is so good image quality and it is not that expensive either.
07-13-2021, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe a K-01? It's supposed to be able to do 25 minutes, or 4GB of output. They only have the screen to rely on, so they must be designed to be on and running for substantial amounts of time. You can't get live HDMI output from one, but there are threads indicating it can still be used with the AV port. They're cheap, too. I saw one on another site the other day for $159 used.

Note, I don't have a K-01 yet so I'm not sure it would be a good fit for you, but it would be worth reading about it.

07-13-2021, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A K1 will give you pretty good results. I recommend you use a battery grip or external power. The Li batteries generate a fair bit of heat, probably more than the image sensor and FPGA and memory. Those of us that do astrophotography often use external power or a grip to keep the heat out and keep noise lower.
07-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for all responses.

I'd be using a DC power supply to run it for hours.
Would love to own K1 one day, but can't justify the cost for my use case.
I've been using manual K-mount lenses mirrorless with adapter may be the best option. I'll look into mirrorless Panasonics and Sonys.