Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 71 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2021, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just wanna chime in to say that I love how the thread has morphed into a (more interesting, at least for me) discussion about getting good images on long glass. Keep those photos coming, guys

07-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread morphing should be worthy of at least a couple of Master's Theses.
07-31-2021, 09:36 AM - 5 Likes   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I just wanna chime in to say that I love how the thread has morphed into a (more interesting, at least for me) discussion about getting good images on long glass. Keep those photos coming, guys
The thread probably should have been about that right off the top.
Pentax has produced so many great lenses, the whole direction was a distraction.

My advice is find someone who's image you like, find out how they do it.
The only time I've ever advised someone to change brands has been for people so dialled in on some company's targeted marketing that they think they can only do what they want to do with one specific brand. Some of those people jumped ship only to come back. You know what's wrong with the company who's product you use. You don't find out what's wrong with other company's equipment until you buy it. And often what you switched brands for turns out to not be worth what you gave up to get that desired feature.

Good shooting technique on the other hand transfers to whatever brand you use.

If people would just say "I'm having problems getting this with my Pentax gear, is it me or is it Pentax gear?", we'd get to technique a lot faster.
We spend way to much time trying to help people get through their equipment confirmation bias, before we get to the important stuff.

Some of my favourite misrepresentations.

Statement: I don't need lens faster that ƒ6.3 because I shoot at ƒ8 anyway.
Rebutal: Faster lenses have more light for focusing, whether you're shooting ƒ8 or not.
Reality: Companies that are new and have no older glass available need to convince you to ditch your old stuff for their new stuff.

Statement :Older glass from the film era is not as good as newer glass.
Rebutal: High end long glass from the film era is often as good as newer glass. Cheap glass from the film era is still cheap. Excellent glass from the film era is still excellent.
Reality: Many people still get excellent results, from even middle of the road older glass.

Statement: I want National Geographic type results.
Rebutal: You don't have the skill, time or money to get national Geographic type results.
Reality: If you can' figure out how to use what you have, you probably won't figure out how to use what you buy next.

Statement: Good older glass is too expensive.
Rebuttal: The price of older glass is dependant on what real photographers will pay for it.
Reality: If you think older glass is too expensive, look at the prices or newer glass. Seriously, don't complain about the price o older glass, until you have the price of a new system with new glass , in front of you. 99% of the time, the older glass will look like a bargain when you're done. We way too often have people comparing brand new systems to 10 year old gear from other manufacturers, and reading back the marketing hype about why the new system is better.

Maybe that's too blunt for someone on a rant, but we dance around those issues endlessly.

When people start taking about how they get their images, then we're getting somewhere.

My solution, find excellently rated old glass.
Take advice from other who use it Get out and practice practice practice. Every set up has new challenges, The more you successfully deal with, the more chance of success in the future.Some technique you've used before to dress another problem will come to mind and be useful for addressing the current one. The best shooters here are no the ones with the best, newest most expensive gear, they are the ones who work at getting what they want, and don't expect the technology to save them.

My excellently rated old glass.
Tamron 300 2.8 and 1.7x TC 510mm ƒ4.5
An excellent film era lens, raved about by people from all the mounts it was produced for. 30 years old now and still going strong.

One of my images taken that day.

I get so tired of people me parroting bogus reasons they read on the internet telling me why they can't do what I do. Everyone has an opinion. It's so much harder if you have to talk people out of their opinion before you get to techniques and the good stuff. People should really learn to just cut to the chase. If they want help with something, and quit blaming their camera gear if they aren't getting exactly what they want. Especially ignoranant is telling people who share their knowledge why what they do is unacceptable to your way of thinking.

It comes down, do you want the images? Or would you rather just keep the opinions that are holding you back.
And don't tell other people what they can and can't do with equipment you haven't used. That is totally not your call.

It's completely inappropriate to buy into some company's marketing hype, and come back here expect those of us happy shooting with what we have to buy into it. If you want to be influenced by a marketing hook, have at her. Just don't expect me or anyone else to buy in. Your biases are you business. Parroting "Internet experts" or marketing material doesn't necessarily make you smart, or even functional.

Last edited by normhead; 08-03-2021 at 08:13 AM.